1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best location for LED bar

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Redgrom, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Mar 22, 2012 at 5:18 PM
    Redgrom

Redgrom [OP] http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/29

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
    4x4 taco and 96 ford bronco
    ATO front skid (need more but icon's might fail if I hang anything else from my truck) All-Pro front bumper thanks to a good deal here and a pesky encounter with a rock or 20, total chaos uppers.
    Hello, just installed my yakima racks on my shell and have the mega warrior on order and am thinking about lighting options.
    1. Mount a 20 or 30 inch LED bar on my all pro bumper (on the bumper not on hoop)
    2. Mount a 30 or 40 inch bar on the basket (I have a double cab so it would sit at the end of the cab). My only concern for this location is I will have to mount it low so I can still stack longboards or paddle boards on top of the basket.

Ultimately I would like to do both but I need to spend some money on the rear suspension before I go all out with lights. I am thinking a spot/flood combo for either setup.

Thanks

2. Mar 22, 2012 at 5:28 PM
    No Fat Chicks

No Fat Chicks Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryce
    Torrance
    Vehicle:
    Ranger
    Tube bumpers/ lift spindle, fox 2.0, glass on all corners, exhaust, custom stereo
    pictures of all your bumpers and mount areas would probly a lot more helpful here so we can see exactly what were talking about instead of searching every part to know exactly how it looks/fits on your truck so we can throw in some input.

3. Mar 22, 2012 at 5:43 PM
    Redgrom

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
    ATO front skid (need more but icon's might fail if I hang anything else from my truck) All-Pro front bumper thanks to a good deal here and a pesky encounter with a rock or 20, total chaos uppers.
  4. Mar 22, 2012 at 5:49 PM
    Redgrom

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
  5. Mar 22, 2012 at 6:09 PM
    No Fat Chicks

No Fat Chicks Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryce
    Torrance
    Vehicle:
    Ranger
    Tube bumpers/ lift spindle, fox 2.0, glass on all corners, exhaust, custom stereo
    So just my opinion, im sure others will disagree or have better points but, on the bumper is perfectly fine, just make sure its doesn't protrude further than your hoop because if you bump something upfront and it sticks out further than that hoop, your bar will take the brunt of the damage. now these bars are tough and i've seen them survive complete roll overs with literally no damage but I don't think their gonna last well on the bumper with all 2k lbs. of your vehicle behind it, even if its a small bump, that bump is gonna be pressured by all couple thousand pounds of your truck behind it.

As for the roof, mounting it as low and as far back as you want to, for clearance for your boards.
    Probly about 70% of your forward pointing light is gonna reflect off the top of your vehicle and get thrown everywhere and not be worth it at all considering the price tag of the things.
    The floods on the sides of the bars will help a lot at night being where it is to really show you everything around you but again if you get something like a 50" up there, it's longer than your vehicle so the floods could possibly start glaring into your side view mirrors. Just my opinion but I wouldn't mount a bar on your rack, bumper is fine. and over the front window is fine as long as its spot.

6. Mar 22, 2012 at 8:51 PM
    Redgrom

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
    Thanks! I was thinking I'd loose some light mounting it that far back. Maybe I'll just stick with the bumper and just stick a dust light on the back and be done with it.

7. Mar 25, 2012 at 6:28 AM
    Redgrom

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
    Does anyone have a link detailing how to mount a bar above the windshield? Found a few pics but not much on the brackets.

Products Discussed in

To Top