2. power in
3. illuminaton power
4. power out.
but I have also read that the order goes
1. illumination power
2. ground
3. power in
4. power out.

can anyone confirm if one or neither of these are right?
thanks
Attached Thumbnails
fog light switch wiring-p0006459a.jpg  
Old 03-23-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
t_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to all
Name: Erik
t_e's Tacoma Gallery
The common mistake is that people think the switch gives power when in reality it gives ground out to the relay.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:56 PM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
1. Top, ground
2. power input
3. illumination power
4. Bottom, power output
Old 03-23-2012, 11:14 PM   #4
Lurker No More
caribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: CAG11 & VAW-117 AME2
caribe makaira's Tacoma Gallery
Old 03-25-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
HolyReptar is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyReptar is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyReptar is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyReptar is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyReptar is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyReptar is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyReptar is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyReptar is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyReptar is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyReptar is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyReptar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bry
HolyReptar's Tacoma Gallery
caribe thank you, just showed me what wires to tab on my fj aux switch
Old 03-26-2012, 10:57 PM   #6
adamw is on a distinguished road

adamw's Tacoma Gallery
if I'm using a 5 pin relay it says 87 goes to lights, 30 to bat, 85 is a ground, 86 to switch, where does 87a go?
Old 03-27-2012, 12:51 AM   #7
HolyReptar is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyReptar is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyReptar is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyReptar is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyReptar is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyReptar is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyReptar is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyReptar is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyReptar is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyReptar is one of the sharper tools in the shedHolyReptar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I didn't use the 87a I capped it, not really sure when your supposed to use a 5 pin relay=P
Old 03-27-2012, 06:02 AM   #8
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnwTaco View Post
I didn't use the 87a I capped it, not really sure when your supposed to use a 5 pin relay=P
If you don't need 87A, don't use it. 87A is powered when 87 is not. Put some electric grease over it and cap it off or get a 4-pin relay.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #9

adamw's Tacoma Gallery
so if I use the 4 pin relay that came with the Hellas and use the oem 4 lead switch I have pin 30 to bat, 87 to lights. it it says 85 is a ground and 86 goes to the switch. if the first lead on the switch is the ground does it go to pin 85 or get grounded? then the second lead on the switch says it gets connected to pin 85 on the relay. then that leaves the last 2 leads on the switch for illumination but I only have one more connection from the add a circuit to the switch. what does the last lead. on the switch go to?
Old 03-27-2012, 05:51 PM   #10

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamw View Post
so if I use the 4 pin relay that came with the Hellas and use the oem 4 lead switch I have pin 30 to bat, 87 to lights. it it says 85 is a ground and 86 goes to the switch. if the first lead on the switch is the ground does it go to pin 85 or get grounded? then the second lead on the switch says it gets connected to pin 85 on the relay. then that leaves the last 2 leads on the switch for illumination but I only have one more connection from the add a circuit to the switch. what does the last lead. on the switch go to?
You can ground the switch anywhere, you don't have to run it to the relay's ground. The switch and relay can be grounded separately. The advantage to grounding everything in the same spot is it makes trouble shooting easier if it comes to that. Make sure you ground pin 85 to a good ground also.

One of the pins on the switch powers the little bulb inside the switch. You want to connect that lead to something that only comes on when the headlights come on (in order to mimic OEM functionality). Look at rcbs's illuminated 4x4 switch, he shows a good way to make a switch illuminate with the dash lights and you can use that to illuminate the switch.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:52 PM   #11

1 goes to a ground nothing on the relay... The 2 bottom wires are tap to another switches illumination they have nothing to do with the relay.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:59 PM   #12
Lurker No More
caribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: CAG11 & VAW-117 AME2
caribe makaira's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamw View Post
Follow this sequence; Battery-fuse-relay Pin 30 and Pin 86 - 87 to lamps - 85 to OEM switch Pin 3.

Or; Battery-fuse-relay Pin 30 and fuse-relay Pin 86-Pin 87 to lamps-pin 85 to OEM switch Pin 3.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #13

adamw's Tacoma Gallery
I have Pin 30-battery, Pin 85-ground, Pin 86-switch, Pin 87-lights
then on the switch I have the second from the top lead connected to pin 86 and the top a ground. I am not sure which wire the fuse tap connects to on the switch, and what to do with the last wire?
Old 07-28-2012, 03:37 PM   #14
Canes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: EAOS 83'
Canes58's Tacoma Gallery
Con"fused"

Old 07-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #15
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
The difference between the two diagrams is how the relay is wired.

The top diagram, showing the dash indicator light used, is running pin 4 to a fused, switched power source and sending power out to the relay and the dash indicator.
This is how most people wire fog switches.

The bottom diagram, showing pin 4 grounded and pin 3 going to relay pin 85, is using ground-true switching. In this case, pin 86 of the relay is connected to a fused switched power source and the switch provides the ground.

Both will work, but the first one needs to be used if you want an indicator light on your dash or switch.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:03 PM   #16
Onion27 is a jewel in the roughOnion27 is a jewel in the roughOnion27 is a jewel in the roughOnion27 is a jewel in the rough
Name: Jason
Onion27's Tacoma Gallery
I bought this switch http://www.otrattw.com/proddetail.php?prod=VVPZC4S-57V from OTRATTW to swap with the OEM Fog Light switch. I got model V1D1BN0B. It has 3 terminals. How would I wire this up? I am a complete idiot when it comes to this, but it doesn't look difficult as long as I know which wires from the OEM switch go to which wires on the new one. If I need a completely different switch with more terminals let me know. Any help would be much appreciated!
Old 07-28-2012, 11:03 PM   #17
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onion27 View Post
I bought this switch http://www.otrattw.com/proddetail.php?prod=VVPZC4S-57V from OTRATTW to swap with the OEM Fog Light switch. I got model V1D1BN0B. It has 3 terminals. How would I wire this up? I am a complete idiot when it comes to this, but it doesn't look difficult as long as I know which wires from the OEM switch go to which wires on the new one. If I need a completely different switch with more terminals let me know. Any help would be much appreciated!
That switch will work fine, but without a diagram on the switch, I can't tell which terminals go where.

One will go to ground, one will go to your relay, and one will go to your fused, switched power source... but which one I don't now, and the link to the PDF on the OTTRATTW site is dead.

You will lose the dash illumination with that switch, but you'll gain the indicator.
You will use the wires connected to pins 1, 3, and 4 from the OEM harness.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:51 PM   #18
Canes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: EAOS 83'
Canes58's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Rich.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:01 PM   #19
troy28 is on a distinguished road
troy28's Tacoma Gallery
Tag
Old 08-02-2012, 11:38 AM   #20
tacopoker is on a distinguished road

tacopoker's Tacoma Gallery
Looking for OEM fog lights for 2012 Taco. Keep hearing that 2011 and 2012 are different. Whats different? The housings or the actual lights. And will 2010-2011 fog lights housing fit 2012 Taco? Also where to get them cheap. Please advise