Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Looking for Roof Rack Lighting Advice

Old 03-24-2012, 05:32 PM   #1
Blueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Blueberry's Tacoma Gallery
Red face Looking for Roof Rack Lighting Advice

So I installed a rack with some automat 7" halogen lights which are crumby by the way, sorry but they are. Once I had the lights lined up and and tightened down I took it for a drive down a dark country road and hit the switches. The residual light glare bouncing off the dash and back onto the windshield made it dang near pointless to have them on at all.
So I went home fashioned up a bracket to pull the lights further back on the rack in hopes that the problem would be fixed. It helped but it still glares more than I want. The lights are a euro style beam if I'm not mistaken. So my question is: Is there anyone that had this type of problem and what did you do to fix it? I'm guessing I'll try finding some pencil beam type lights but the only ones I really care for are the Lightforce 170's and I'm a long way from getting those anytime soon. Plus I'd hate to buy new lights just to find out I'll have the same problem. I'll try and post pics of what I'm talking about tonight when I get off of work. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:11 PM   #2
Huge Member
ScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the rough

Army:
ScreamingTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Install a piece of sheet metal under them to act as a shade.

Experiment with a piece of cardboard first.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
Blueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingTaco View Post
Install a piece of sheet metal under them to act as a shade.

Experiment with a piece of cardboard first.
Yeah, spent the night on google looking for people with similar problems. I guess this is pretty common. They make glare shields but I haven't found any yet that fit my lights.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:14 PM   #4
Carson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to behold

Name: Carson
Carson's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah i have the same problem, and have yet to find a solution that i like. Shields are just ugly.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson View Post
Yeah i have the same problem, and have yet to find a solution that i like. Shields are just ugly.
Yes they are. But other than running very tight pencil beams, pulling the lights back more (which for me isn't an option), or painting the hood flat black glare shields are about the only feasible option. I'm thinking I can make a set that doesn't look like total garbage like the KC shields.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:01 PM   #6
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I used to run pencil beams on a lightbar mounted to the rain gutters at the very rear of the cab on my old regular cab truck. No issues with glare. Not sure if that's because they were mounted all the way back on the roof, or because they were pencil beams.

For the record, the pencils beams were worthless for what I was doing with them. They are for going really fast in the dark. Faster than a stock or stockish Tacoma should be going. Eventually, I went to eurobeams mounted on the front bumper. Much better, and no glare of course.

Consider getting a bumper mounted light bar and just keep the roof lights for looks, if that's a factor.