1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lightbar and Headlights

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Night, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Mar 25, 2012 at 9:09 AM
    Night

Night [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD OR AC MagGrey
    Banks Monster Exhaust, aFe ProGuard 7, 3M Film, UnderCoating, alpine 920 headunit, alpine 6.5 components, 20% tint all around, JL Stealthbox, PDX-V9 Amp, Avid Lightbar, Avid Sliders, Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneau, TRD S/C
    I've searched around for a while now and I cannot find a reputable place to buy headlights that do not leak. I am looking for the angel eyes because I plan on putting in HID's.

As for the Lighbar, I just got my Avid bar in the mail and I need some lights to go on it. I must have not looked hard enough but is there any install or DIY that shows how to hook up the HID kits for the lightbar? As well as recommendation to a store and brand to go with.

2. Mar 25, 2012 at 9:13 AM
    Nightstr

Nightstr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Felipe
    Sacramento CA
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner sr5
    BLHM BLWM 3" TOUGH COUNTRY LIFT TRD SEAT COVERS THULE RACK M/T KM2 265/65/16
    Get a retrofit kit from TheRetrofitSource.com for your headlights.

3. Mar 25, 2012 at 9:52 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    x2 for the headlights.

As for the light bar, the lights you buy should come with install instructions. There is no blanket DIY because lights come with different wiring kits out of the box. Personally, I have 4 PIAA 520 lights mounted up front. Lightforce and Hella are 2 other popular choices. I'd make sure you HID aftermarket lights on the bar really meet your expectations. If you just want lights for backroad driving, to suppliment your high beams (meaning they'll be switched off and on with your high beams) HID's might not be for you. They need to warm up and don't like to be turned off and on multiple times on a driving stretch.

4. Mar 25, 2012 at 10:33 AM
    Night

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD OR AC MagGrey
    Banks Monster Exhaust, aFe ProGuard 7, 3M Film, UnderCoating, alpine 920 headunit, alpine 6.5 components, 20% tint all around, JL Stealthbox, PDX-V9 Amp, Avid Lightbar, Avid Sliders, Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneau, TRD S/C

It is not worth it to buy whole new headlights or the quality isn't there? As for the retrofit, its just pulling apart your headlights?

@Pugga, probably some offroad and back street driving.

Also do fogs need to be Retro'd?

5. Mar 25, 2012 at 11:14 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    The ebay headlights typically aren't the same quality as the OEM lights. They can be sealed up so they won't leak but you get far better light output from installing a retrofit kit from TRS.

The fogs don't need to be retro'd but dropping an HID kit in the factory fog lights means LOTS of glare for oncoming traffic... Retrofitted fogs are pretty damn cool though :cool:

Like I said, if they're going to turned off and on fairly frequently while driving, you might want to reconsider HIDs. Lightforce makes some nice lights for your use, both HID and halogen option. I like my PIAAs but they're pricey for what you get.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Mar 25, 2012 at 12:06 PM
    Night

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD OR AC MagGrey

I can't stand those kind of people. I have no intentions of dropping HID into the stock housing. I either want a whole new light like CCFL(I think that's what they are called) or retros as well as lights for my lightbar.

I have a budget of $1500(possibly more) for the whole project. I want HID fogs,headlights and lights for my light bar.

I believe in doing it right the first time.

7. Mar 26, 2012 at 11:23 AM
    Trifenix

Trifenix Well-Known Member

Member:
    so cal
    Vehicle:
    99 LT 5 lug Taco
    Kragen hids are popular for your lightbar

8. Mar 26, 2012 at 11:43 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    A good pair of lights for your bar can be had for between $3-400.

Retrofitting your own headlights with angel eyes will run you $350 for a kit from Theretrofitsource.com (less if you can find a group buy). If you pay someone to do it for you, you can easily spend in the $700 - $1,200 price range for this service, all in. AsianAnt is one member who can retrofit your headlights for you or every once in a while a pair will come up for sale.

If you want your fogs to actually function as fog lights, I wouldn't just drop HID's in there. I retrofitted my fogs with projectors and they work great however the projector I used has been discontinued.

9. Mar 26, 2012 at 12:26 PM
    Night

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD OR AC MagGrey
    Any places for retro fitting guides?

And has anyone tried or have experience/opinions with these headlights http://www.ezmotoring.com/product/1683/Buy-Toyota-Tacoma-05-08-Halo-LED-Projector-Headlights---Chrome-Aftermarket-Car-Parts.html

Supposedly they are OEM quality.

10. Mar 27, 2012 at 2:36 PM
    Night

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD OR AC MagGrey
    Found a pair of Anzo black projectors for 350$ and I have phoned around and they seem to have no issues(even warranted by toyota). They have the plug and play harness and I just need a HID kit.

Cost for retrofitting:
    $755 Labour
    $219 Headlights
    $410 FX-R Stage IV Kit

Or

Replacement lights:
    $350 Headlights
    $??? HID Kit
    And I can get lights for light bar.

Its not that I am cheaping out its the time I will either be without headlights or the time I will need to retrofit(A LOT OF WORK).

I really don't know the difference between them but I will research Anzo(from what I hear they are a good company) and find a HID kit then its onto the light bar and fogs.

11. Mar 27, 2012 at 4:40 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Dropping an HID kit into a pair of OEM headlights doesn't not compare at all to a full retrofit. A retrofit can be done in a decent day's work if you are crunched for time and don't do any painting.

The morimoto minis are a lot easier to to fit into the stock headlights than the FX-Rs. You can always buy a second set of headlights to retrofit and sell off your stockers when you're done. $775 for labor isn't bad for a professional shop, but it's money that can be easily saved in my opinion.

12. Mar 27, 2012 at 4:44 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Southern California (San Diego County)
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner TRD Sport L/B Grey Metallic
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
    Thanks pugga :)

Also, I recently looked at TRS, the Blazer Fog light projectors are back on for purchase.

13. Mar 27, 2012 at 4:58 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Nice! I heard they might have a couple sets left but they'll only going to sell til they're out of stock.

I'd rather have this guy go through you than some of the fly by night shops. Hell, how many times did Hans need to have his lights resealed by that shop in NJ? I think the members here take more pride in their work than some of the bigger shops.

14. Mar 28, 2012 at 9:11 PM
    Night

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD OR AC MagGrey
    Thanks! I am going to order the FX-R's and get another OEM pair to do it on because I need headlights haha. Now my only problem is getting lights for my lights bar. Do you have a personal preference on lightbar lights you could possibly point me too? I don't know where to start.

Oh and I am going to be retroing my fogs as well now haha

My lightbar will be back from the paint shop tomorrow(got it color matched) and I will be going crazy to get lights for it. I also finished painting my sliders so I'm going to be busy with all that and work tomorrow. Pics will be up tomorrow(or possibly the next day)

15. Mar 29, 2012 at 5:50 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    It depends on what you do with your truck, what kind of light output do you need? If you're running open trails at speed, you want light pretty far out and you'll probably turn the lights on and leave them on so a long range HID would be a good choice. If you're going to use them on the road and will be turning them on and off as traffic approaches, then a halogen might be a better choice. With the higher mounting point (light bar), I've found that fog pattern lights aren't very effective so I'd stick with All-Terrain Pattern, Driving or Spot pattern.

As far as brands, the cheapest solution for HIDs is to retrofit a set of Hella 500 or 700's. There are a few threads on how to do so. Otherwise, there are Group Buys on Kragen lights that come and go, Lightforce seems pretty indestructable and I'm running PIAA lights. I like the PIAAs but their customer service is horrible at best and some of the guys who wheel their truck harder have found that the PIAAs fail by letting water in the housing, burning out the bulb or cracking the glass lens.

Products Discussed in

To Top