Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

HID Retrofit 2009 Tacoma Extended Cab

Old 04-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #41
Texas Taco
Oury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oury
Oury's Tacoma Gallery
got it figured out, problem is, lows don't work and high beams do. Call TRS and they are sending me a update harness.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #42
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 34th SIG
Name: Tom
95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oury View Post
got it figured out, problem is, lows don't work and high beams do. Call TRS and they are sending me a update harness.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:08 PM   #45
pringles808 is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
pringles808's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the write up, will be doing this soon.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:59 PM   #46
Texas Taco
Oury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Oury's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianAnts View Post
tried swapping highs for lows and lows for highs?
I did that, I was on the phone with TRS while I was working on it. They were extremely helpful too. When I swapped the Hi/Low in the Harness, I blew the fuses in my fuse box. They are sending me a new harness so I wont mess with it till I get it.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:00 PM   #47
Texas Taco

Oury's Tacoma Gallery
first set. gotta seal this one and balance both after the other one is finished.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:44 AM   #49
Texas Taco

Oury's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95SLE View Post
Looks good Oury. Nice even cut and the projector is lined up horizontally.
Thanks! I couldn't have done it without your input! Just waiting on my new harness now. Funny thing, it took me about an hour too align the first projector in the housing... second one took 5 minutes cus I learned the best place too drill the holes. piece of cake

cant wait too seal them up and aim them. did you pull out all the old "gray" window sealant that is on them when you pull the headlights apart? or you use new stuff

Old 04-06-2012, 09:19 AM   #50
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oury View Post
Thanks! I couldn't have done it without your input! Just waiting on my new harness now. Funny thing, it took me about an hour too align the first projector in the housing... second one took 5 minutes cus I learned the best place too drill the holes. piece of cake

cant wait too seal them up and aim them. did you pull out all the old "gray" window sealant that is on them when you pull the headlights apart? or you use new stuff

I have a hot air gun and I used it and a screwdriver to clear the channel. In retrospect I would have either done a better job of clearing out the channel or made the black caulking that came with the retrofit kit thinner. Clamping the headlights back together was a PITA.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:39 AM   #51
Super Taco
mattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mattgecko's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the write up and pics.

I have a question about attaching the shroud to the projector. Do I glue the black plastic ring that clips in to the shroud straight to the projector or is there a better way to attach the shroud?

I am using FX-R projectors and orbit shrouds from TRS.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:00 PM   #52
just an AnT
AsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3451, 1st Civ Div MCB Camp Pendleton
Name: AnT
AsianAnts's Tacoma Gallery
i would use an adhesive to have the black ring stick and clipped into the shroud. Then i would use adhesive to stick the shroud to the projector...

Hi-Temp silicon works or JBweld works... Do not depend on the ring alone clipped to the shroud to stay on the projector.. i've heard stories and witness them falling off later down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgecko View Post

I have a question about attaching the shroud to the projector. Do I glue the black plastic ring that clips in to the shroud straight to the projector or is there a better way to attach the shroud?

Old 05-02-2012, 06:56 PM   #53
Old Man Winter

95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgecko View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianAnts View Post
i would use an adhesive to have the black ring stick and clipped into the shroud. Then i would use adhesive to stick the shroud to the projector...

Hi-Temp silicon works or JBweld works... Do not depend on the ring alone clipped to the shroud to stay on the projector.. i've heard stories and witness them falling off later down the road.
What he said ^^^^^

I used this product for the Gatlin Gun shroud. Both for the black ring to the shroud and the shroud to the FXR projector.

http://www.permatex.com/products/aut...one_Gasket.htm

So far no problems after 2+ months.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #54
jimmybee1108 will become famous soon enough
Name: JM
jimmybee1108's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone know of anywhere that can do a complete retrofit projector job in San Antonio Texas.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:19 AM   #55
Old Man Winter

95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybee1108 View Post
Anyone know of anywhere that can do a complete retrofit projector job in San Antonio Texas.
You might want to send a PM to AsianAnts. He does quality work at a fair price.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:50 AM   #56
Taco89 is on a distinguished road

Name: Nik
Taco89's Tacoma Gallery
I am about to begin this project in a couple of weeks and just wondering how do you align the headlights once you retrofit them, before sealing the lens back on?
Old 07-22-2012, 08:52 AM   #57
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
You want to get the rotational alignment set before you reinstall the lenses or jb weld the projector into the bowl.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:59 AM   #58

Taco89's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks!
Old 07-22-2012, 11:34 AM   #59
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
There's a couple of writeups, the best way seems to be to build a jig in your shop that uses the stock mounting lugs and aims the unit at a target... perhaps a garage door, block wall... some fixed object that you can put a piece of tape on to indicate the cutoff line.

So mount the stock housing into the jig and light it up.
Mark the location of the cutoff (and step).

Begin the retrofit, and make sure the jig doesn't get moved.

When the projectors are mounted and ready to test, re-mount the housing into the test fixture and adjust the projector so the cutoff matches your stock cutoff.
That should be reasonably close when sealed and remounted.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:08 PM   #60

Taco89's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Rich.