I finally had the time to devote 100% of my attention to theHID retrofit for my Tacoma. Iparticipated in the group buy last November/December. I purchased the FX-R Stage IV kit with CCFL rings, Gatling Gunshrouds, and extra sealing compound.
Link to TRS
This is what the kit looks like when removed from the shipping box.
I also purchased a set of OEM headlights from another member. Thanks Dave!
My workbench set up for the retrofit.
First up was to disassemble the headlamps. I preheated the oven to 255 degrees then put the headlamps in the oven, turned off the heat and let then sit in there for 7minutes. One of the headlamps needed two cycles to finally be able to pull them apart.
Before removing the Halogen bulb clamp the reflector to as tationary object, in my case a rolling cart. I marked the reflector and the position on the cart as well as theposition of the cart wheels on the floor. I then fired up the low beam and marked the cutoff pattern on the garage wall. You will need the markings on the wall onceyou install the HID projectors in the reflector.
I next used a 2 3/4 in bimetal hole saw to cut a hole in theback of the reflector bowl.
I removed the circled protrusions with a hack saw. This enabled the hole saw to fit flushagainst the reflector bowl.
Finished cut. You cansee that I cut a notch at the bottom of the bowl to allow the solenoid toprotrude out the back and allow the wires to go out the back. You need to make the notch larger than thisto allow the CCFL connector to be routed through the hole. I found out the hard way that it was notlarge enough.
Next up I positioned the projector in the reflector bowl, markedthe screw hole locations, drilled the holes and mounted the projector. In this pic the projector is nor 100%horizontal so I need to tweak it to have it horizontal in the bowl.
Once you are satisfied that the position is correct then youcan light up the projector and see if the cut off line are the same as the onefor the Halogen bulbs. At this point youcan start to assemble the reflector. Iused a red hi temp sealant to fill the gaps where the bowl and projectormeet. I also did the same where thescrews came through the reflector bowl.
I let this dry overnight before proceeding. Next I used hot glue to secure the CCFL ringto the inside of the shroud.
I put sealant on the inside of the concentric ring to sealit to the shroud.
I then ran a bead of sealant at the base of the projectorand installed the shroud.
Headlights sealed up.
Two pics of the ballast and CCFL ballast mounted on the sideof the headlamps.
Headlights mounted in the grill
CCFL lit up in the daytime
Painting the trim ring was a separate process that took 3 days due to my letting each phase of the paint dry for an entire gay before moving on. I am very happy with the colormatch to the BSP on my Tacoma
Headlight trim taped up and ready to primer. I removed the lenses prior to the masking.
Two coats of adhesion promoter and 3 coats of flexibleprimer applied.
The trim painted up with 4 coats of BSP and 4 coats of clearcoat.
The reflector bowls with projectors mounted back in theheadlight housing.
Inner trim ring painted BSP
Test fit trim ring into housing
Trim rings secured to clear plastic headlight cover.
Final results in the garage
I will get some better pics tomorrow in the daylight. I will also post some illumination pics onceI have the headlights adjusted properly. This may take a few days.