Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

HID Retrofit 2009 Tacoma Extended Cab

Old 03-27-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 34th SIG
Name: Tom
95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
HID Retrofit 2009 Tacoma Extended Cab

I finally had the time to devote 100% of my attention to theHID retrofit for my Tacoma. Iparticipated in the group buy last November/December. I purchased the FX-R Stage IV kit with CCFL rings, Gatling Gunshrouds, and extra sealing compound.

Link to TRS

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=205
This is what the kit looks like when removed from the shipping box.

I also purchased a set of OEM headlights from another member. Thanks Dave!

My workbench set up for the retrofit.

First up was to disassemble the headlamps. I preheated the oven to 255 degrees then put the headlamps in the oven, turned off the heat and let then sit in there for 7minutes. One of the headlamps needed two cycles to finally be able to pull them apart.

Before removing the Halogen bulb clamp the reflector to as tationary object, in my case a rolling cart. I marked the reflector and the position on the cart as well as theposition of the cart wheels on the floor. I then fired up the low beam and marked the cutoff pattern on the garage wall. You will need the markings on the wall onceyou install the HID projectors in the reflector.

I next used a 2 3/4 in bimetal hole saw to cut a hole in theback of the reflector bowl.

I removed the circled protrusions with a hack saw. This enabled the hole saw to fit flushagainst the reflector bowl.

Finished cut. You cansee that I cut a notch at the bottom of the bowl to allow the solenoid toprotrude out the back and allow the wires to go out the back. You need to make the notch larger than thisto allow the CCFL connector to be routed through the hole. I found out the hard way that it was notlarge enough.

Next up I positioned the projector in the reflector bowl, markedthe screw hole locations, drilled the holes and mounted the projector. In this pic the projector is nor 100%horizontal so I need to tweak it to have it horizontal in the bowl.

Once you are satisfied that the position is correct then youcan light up the projector and see if the cut off line are the same as the onefor the Halogen bulbs. At this point youcan start to assemble the reflector. Iused a red hi temp sealant to fill the gaps where the bowl and projectormeet. I also did the same where thescrews came through the reflector bowl.

I let this dry overnight before proceeding. Next I used hot glue to secure the CCFL ringto the inside of the shroud.

I put sealant on the inside of the concentric ring to sealit to the shroud.

I then ran a bead of sealant at the base of the projectorand installed the shroud.

Headlights sealed up.

Two pics of the ballast and CCFL ballast mounted on the sideof the headlamps.

Headlights mounted in the grill

CCFL lit up in the daytime

Painting the trim ring was a separate process that took 3 days due to my letting each phase of the paint dry for an entire gay before moving on. I am very happy with the colormatch to the BSP on my Tacoma

Headlight trim taped up and ready to primer. I removed the lenses prior to the masking.

Two coats of adhesion promoter and 3 coats of flexibleprimer applied.

The trim painted up with 4 coats of BSP and 4 coats of clearcoat.

The reflector bowls with projectors mounted back in theheadlight housing.

Inner trim ring painted BSP

Test fit trim ring into housing

Trim rings secured to clear plastic headlight cover.

Final results in the garage

I will get some better pics tomorrow in the daylight. I will also post some illumination pics onceI have the headlights adjusted properly. This may take a few days.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Attention to detail is amazing Tom! I will be frequenting this thread when I ditch my Mini D2S I have now and upgrade to an FX-R
Old 03-27-2012, 07:00 PM   #5
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
What is the (functional) difference between this kit and the kits that retrofit sells that don't require drilling and sealing to mount the projector?
Are they not Bi-Xenon?
Old 03-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #6
Night is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Night's Tacoma Gallery
You have gave me the confidence to do my own! You include specifics and turn this into a how-to! Nice truck!
Old 03-27-2012, 07:09 PM   #7
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
What is the (functional) difference between this kit and the kits that retrofit sells that don't require drilling and sealing to mount the projector?
Are they not Bi-Xenon?
They are Bi-Xenon.

When I was doing research I kept reading posts from guys, here on TW and on HID Planet, that they were not satisfied with the illumination and lightpattern of the H1 retrofit kit. The also said they eventfully replaced the H-1with the FX-R. The projector is the biggest difference, the FX-R is a better all around projector with better glass.

I decided to bite the bullet and do the more complicated install.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:36 PM   #8
Night is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Night's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95SLE View Post
They are Bi-Xenon.

When I was doing research I kept reading posts from guys, here on TW and on HID Planet, that they were not satisfied with the illumination and lightpattern of the H1 retrofit kit. The also said they eventfully replaced the H-1with the FX-R. The projector is the biggest difference, the FX-R is a better all around projector with better glass.

I decided to bite the bullet and do the more complicated install.
I thought the FX-R would be even more complicated but they are relatively still a simple install, did you follow a particular guide?
Old 03-27-2012, 07:39 PM   #9
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gotcha'
That does make sense. Ordering a spare set of lights would certainly take some stress out of the project.

I assume we want the H4 relay.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:47 PM   #12
OverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud of
Name: David
OverRated's Tacoma Gallery
Nice! I'm going to use your thread as reference when I do mine! Waiting for spring break (next week) so I can start and take my sweet time!
Old 03-28-2012, 02:41 AM   #13
Old Man Winter

95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Gotcha'
That does make sense. Ordering a spare set of lights would certainly take some stress out of the project.

I assume we want the H4 relay.
Correct on the relay.

The spare set of headlamps is a blessing. There is no time factor to do the mod quickly. I just took my time and tries to measure twice and cut once.

I had thought about a 3in hole saw but I believe there would not be enough clearance between the battery and the headlamp to support a deeper depth to the projector.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:36 AM   #14
Texas Taco
Oury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oury
Oury's Tacoma Gallery
What is that red sealant called?
Old 03-28-2012, 06:00 AM   #16
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
Nice job and great writeup Tom. Those lights were put to good use!
Old 03-28-2012, 06:06 AM   #17
Texas Taco
Oury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oury
Oury's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Thanks! I got my headlights apart right now, just getting everything prep'd before I go to home depot and the auto store
Old 03-28-2012, 06:14 AM   #18
Old Man Winter

95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oury View Post
Thanks! I got my headlights apart right now, just getting everything prep'd before I go to home depot and the auto store
Take your time. It actually was a nice project that helped me learn additional quirks on how are Tacoma's are put together.

The first under headlight trim panel I removed snapped so loud I thought I had broken the retainer clip. When I reinstalled it I made sure it was cleaned on both sides and I sprayed some quick detailer on the clip to make it easier to insert.

Dave thank you so much for the donor headlamps. I feel it was a win win situation for both of us. I reused your packaging to store my old headlamps. I have a feeling I may be helping some local guys out with retrofits and my old headlamps may be used again.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #19

Quote:
I had thought about a 3in hole saw but I believe there would not be enough clearance between the battery and the headlamp to support a deeper depth to the projector.
I'll be blacking out the bowl as well, so I'm not concerned about the reflection of the projector as long as the shroud covers most of it.

What do you think about the E46R-Extended?
Old 03-29-2012, 05:59 AM   #20
Old Man Winter

95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'll be blacking out the bowl as well, so I'm not concerned about the reflection of the projector as long as the shroud covers most of it.

What do you think about the E46R-Extended?
Thos is my first retrofit so i do not have any knowledge of the E46R-Extended. You might want to send a PM to AsianAnts. He was most helpfull to me with my retrofit.