Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

change headlight bulb

Old 03-28-2012, 07:11 AM   #1
SupremeDeluxe is on a distinguished road
Army:
SupremeDeluxe's Tacoma Gallery
change headlight bulb

How do you change the low beam headlight bulb? The one on my driver's side is out, is there a sticky or write up on all this? I hope this is a quick fix. Thanks.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:20 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
You need a new headlight bulb, you can't change just the low beam. go to a local auto parts store, get a pair of H4 bulbs and replace the bulb. DO NOT TOUCH THE GLASS! You should probably replace both bulbs, if one blew, the other probably isn't too far behind.

To change the bulb, unplug the plug at the back of the headlight (the one going to the headlight bulb), remove the rubber boot, release the retainer clip holding the bulb in place (note the bulb orientation so you install the new bulb the same way) and do the reverse with the new bulb. I've found it helpful to remove the battery and unbolt the windshield washer fluid reservior to give more room behind the headlight. Otherwise, you need tiny hands for the install.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:26 PM   #4
Night is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Night's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
You need a new headlight bulb, you can't change just the low beam. go to a local auto parts store, get a pair of H4 bulbs and replace the bulb. DO NOT TOUCH THE GLASS! You should probably replace both bulbs, if one blew, the other probably isn't too far behind.

To change the bulb, unplug the plug at the back of the headlight (the one going to the headlight bulb), remove the rubber boot, release the retainer clip holding the bulb in place (note the bulb orientation so you install the new bulb the same way) and do the reverse with the new bulb. I've found it helpful to remove the battery and unbolt the windshield washer fluid reservior to give more room behind the headlight. Otherwise, you need tiny hands for the install.

I have an 11 the lights are the same on the 05 no? All I did was unplug the bulbs then twisted counter clockwise(I'm pretty sure counter clockwise) and they slide right out. Reverse steps for installing.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:53 PM   #5
nammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nam
nammer's Tacoma Gallery
hmm i guess they designed them differently, never knew that, cause mine has the rubber boot and the retainer clip as well, no turning for me
Old 03-28-2012, 09:55 PM   #6
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night View Post
I have an 11 the lights are the same on the 05 no? All I did was unplug the bulbs then twisted counter clockwise(I'm pretty sure counter clockwise) and they slide right out. Reverse steps for installing.
05'-11' s should be the same but I dont think you need to turn them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nammer View Post
hmm i guess they designed them differently, never knew that, cause mine has the rubber boot and the retainer clip as well, no turning for me
Same here, I just had the metal wire retainer clip that snaps into place and holds the bulb, no turning for me neither.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:59 PM   #8
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
maybe NIGHT is talking bout fog light?
If thats the case then yes, with the fog lights you do need to twist to get those off.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:34 AM   #9
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
All of the other bulbs just twist and pop out (fogs, marker lights and I believe the turn signals), the headlights are the only ones that use a retainer clip and a rubber boot. I wish they just twisted in, they'd be a lot easier to install!
Old 03-29-2012, 06:24 AM   #10
Night is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Night's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Must be, changed them out a while ago. Sorry about that.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:33 AM   #11
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
As Pugga said, change them both. Nothing is worse than changing one and losing the other a week later. If you touch the glass with your bare hands clean the bulb really good with an alcohol wipe or similar but the best method is to wear some gloves.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:01 PM   #12
nammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nam
nammer's Tacoma Gallery
this might be just me, but I wouldn't change both, i know the rational is that they have both been on the same amount of time, and life should be similar, but our headlight bulbs can last for a lot of years, and the process is really simple, i think it would just be a waste, it could be another 5 years or so til that other bulb blows
Old 03-29-2012, 03:03 PM   #13
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
As Pugga said, change them both. Nothing is worse than changing one and losing the other a week later. If you touch the glass with your bare hands clean the bulb really good with an alcohol wipe or similar but the best method is to wear some gloves.
Nothing is worse than that?

It takes under a minute to change a bulb. I'd just change one. I had one go out and the other one lasted another year.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:06 PM   #14
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
this might be just me, but I wouldn't change both, i know the rational is that they have both been on the same amount of time, and life should be similar, but our headlight bulbs can last for a lot of years, and the process is really simple, i think it would just be a waste, it could be another 5 years or so til that other bulb blows
It is more for piece of mind than anything. If both bulbs have been through the same lifespan and one fails chances are great that unless the failure is due to something other than normal usage the other will fail soon. It is not about if it's about when and where.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #15

Night's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
It is more for piece of mind than anything. If both bulbs have been through the same lifespan and one fails chances are great that unless the failure is due to something other than normal usage the other will fail soon. It is not about if it's about when and where.

I'm with ya! You're there anyway changing one might as well as change both. Halogen bulbs don't have that long of lifespan anyway. And its just annoying to have one go out while you're out and about. I hate when people only have 1 head light or tail/brake light
Old 03-29-2012, 06:24 PM   #16

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If it's been a few years and one just blows (no water in the housing and not caused by an impact) then I'll replace both. If the dipstick Toyota engineer didn't put the battery right behind one headlight and the windshield washer reserior behind the other one, then I'd wait til the other one blew because I'd be able to change it on the road. With the crappy way our engine bays are set up, I can't change the headlight bulbs in the dark on the road. I see your point though. I usually swap the both and keep the one that was working in my glove box as a spare if I ever really needed it.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:47 PM   #17
Seid is on a distinguished road
Seid's Tacoma Gallery
Headlight retaining clip installation

When changing a headlight on my 2005 Tacoma the retaining clip fell off, and I can't figure how to put it back on. There is a video online showing a Toyota headlight change that shows the clip being captured by a screw head. In that video the hinge portion of the clip is narrow, and mine is wide. There appears to be a boss with an undercut that should retain the clip, but I cannot get the clip to stay on when I try to lock the clip on the other end.

Any advice? Pictures of the installation would be really helpful.