LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

where do you place your relays and fuses?

Old 03-29-2012, 06:54 PM   #1
tatortot46 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: lieutenant
tatortot46's Tacoma Gallery
where do you place your relays and fuses?

So I have been thinking of getting a fuse block and making a nice bracket for it and making a spot for relays. but when i opened my 6" LED off road light bar it came with sealed wires all the way up to the relay. by this i mean there was about 8' of sealed wire a relay and 6" from there was the switch. usually I play the fuse as close to the batter as possible and the relay close to where it will be used unless its out in the elements.
So what do you guys and gals think? do i cut up the harness for the LED bar and put in all in the engine bay near the fire wall or stick it all up under the dash?
NOTE: i have know problem with electrical wiring or making harness or figuring reverse polartity with relays.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:57 PM   #2
tacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
tacoma16's Tacoma Gallery
i dont think there would be a problem with cutting the wires and soldering some extra wire so you can put them any were you want. If you do this i would solder and heat wrap everything. As for the fuse block, get a blue sea fuse block, its marine grade. I only have 2 relays in my engine bay right now, so i just tucked them under a panel by the battery.

my set up

Old 03-29-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
tacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
tacoma16's Tacoma Gallery
still got some cleaning up to do
Old 03-30-2012, 04:08 AM   #4
I like your set up. I was going to do about the same thing.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:04 AM   #5
Any other opinions?
Old 03-30-2012, 07:09 AM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I've got 2 relays under my hood, one is next to the battery (I had to pull the battery to place it there) and the other is where tacoma16 has his extra fuse block located. All my fuses are in-line fuses and are tucked inside the OEM under-hood fuse box. I did not run anything from the battery. There is a pin in the front-passenger side of the under hood fuse panel that powers the stock fuses. I tapped my in-line fuses from that pin so I wouldn't have any wires going to the battery.

As far as your sealed wire kit, cut it up and get to the 2 wires inside. My kits came with sealed wire also, I removed the sheathing and used plastic wire loom wrapped in electrical tape instead.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:11 AM   #7
Seems to be unanimous that I should just go the way I planned.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:15 AM   #8
FFMedic is on a distinguished road

Name: Drew
FFMedic's Tacoma Gallery
I went with a Blue Seas fuse box as well; however, I took it a step further and got a 80 amp relay therefore my fuse box is only "hot" with ignition power, I don't have pics of the set up as it is very similar to the one's already on here, only difference it the 80 amp relay for the fuse block. Personally like it this way much better. Had a fuse block in my Jeep that was always hot, never left anything on accidentally, but was a little of a pain, this was gives me extra peace of mind.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:02 AM   #9
Dark Lord of the Sith
wrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Instructor: AAAB/Bravo Co 1-210 AVN REGT/128th AVN BDE (Provisional)
Name: Ryan Mathis
Location: Lives: Newport News, VA(soon to be Ft. Carson)/Home: Leesburg, GA
wrmathis's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to wrmathis Send a message via Yahoo to wrmathis
Here's mine

Old 03-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #10
My name is Mudd
mcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant future

Name: mike
mcdowell's Tacoma Gallery
Nice set up^^
Old 03-30-2012, 11:42 AM   #11
tooblutacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooblutacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooblutacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooblutacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooblutacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooblutacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooblutacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooblutacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooblutacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooblutacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooblutacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kellon
tooblutacoma06's Tacoma Gallery
Here's mine. I really like Blue Sea Components. They make high quality hardware that is marine grade, and it won't break the bank.

install thread

If you are interested:
for sale thread
Old 03-30-2012, 02:53 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrmathis View Post
Here's mine

Where did you get this set up? N how much?
Old 03-30-2012, 03:53 PM   #13
Dark Lord of the Sith
wrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Instructor: AAAB/Bravo Co 1-210 AVN REGT/128th AVN BDE (Provisional)
Name: Ryan Mathis
Location: Lives: Newport News, VA(soon to be Ft. Carson)/Home: Leesburg, GA
wrmathis's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to wrmathis Send a message via Yahoo to wrmathis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatortot46 View Post
Where did you get this set up? N how much?
http://www.4x4spod.com/

and ill just let u look for the price on there
Old 03-31-2012, 06:23 AM   #14
thats a great set up! but i cant justify the price.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #15
why does tacoma world keep poping up with no words next to it?
Old 04-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #16
Ok guys, got my blue sea fuse box. But I realized that it till send out constant power. Dumbass < yea I no this> so what system can I put in place so it will shut off when the trucks not on. Relay? But what amp? Or do I buy 10 small relays for each line going out? Im just looking for some ideas.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #17
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatortot46 View Post
Ok guys, got my blue sea fuse box. But I realized that it till send out constant power. Dumbass < yea I no this> so what system can I put in place so it will shut off when the trucks not on. Relay? But what amp? Or do I buy 10 small relays for each line going out? Im just looking for some ideas.
if you want the entire block to cut off when you turn your ignition switch off just buy a heavy duty relay not sure what load you would need. 80 maybe 100 amp? just depends on your preference. what you would need to do is have you input from battery go into one side of the heavy duty relay and then from the relay to the input of fuse block. then just use the signal wire for the relay and tap into a circuit that turns on and off with the ignition.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #18
Thats what I was figuring just wasnt sure what other guys were doing. I never liked the idea of having a heavy power wire go to a switch so i would always use small wire like 18g or even smaller to go to a switch and to then to a relay. this also helps when the switch is in a far place like an over head consel. So if i go that way I will need relays anyways.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:56 PM   #19
FFMedic is on a distinguished road

Name: Drew
FFMedic's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a scosche 80 amp relay, and wired it from one of the fuse boxes. I'll try and locate my camera tomorrow and shoot some pics.