Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

custom tail light help

Old 04-02-2012, 01:23 AM   #1
Redheadedrider113 is on a distinguished road
Name: Kyle
Redheadedrider113's Tacoma Gallery
custom tail light help

so im thinking about buying these tail lights replaceing the non led reverse and turn signal to led and painting the inside black kinda like the bhlm but my question is will that effect the funtion of the light at all and what is everyones opion on this?
Old 04-02-2012, 01:31 AM   #2
AK SnowroxKT
SnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SnowroxKT's Tacoma Gallery
pics of said tail light?

My guess is that it won't change anything enough to worry about.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:10 AM   #3
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on what you paint.
Those use reflectors for the bulbs, so if you paint them black you wont get much output from them.
just painting the case around the reflectors should be fine, though.

They also sell a smoked version of those lights too, don't got to mess with anything on them. I run them, havent had any problems, got more light output than stock, and dig the look.

Click the truck in the top right of the site or my sig ;I got pics of it in there
Old 04-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #4
Snow: pics are in link I'll throw up a pic later when i can use a computer

Kona: I've seen your build thread I'm actually subed to it I love your truck your tail lights were what convinced me to get the led tails in the first place cause I was waiting to see them on another truck and my trucks an 00 too. My original plan was to get the smoked but I'm doing the bhlm when install my retro and my thought was do the same to the tails so the match the heads and it will be unique. I didn't know the LEDs use the reflectors I thought it was halogens that used the reflectors
Old 04-02-2012, 11:18 AM   #5
AK SnowroxKT
SnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SnowroxKT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redheadedrider113 View Post
Snow: pics are in link I'll throw up a pic later when i can use a computer
yeah realized I missed that, Kony seemed to give you plenty of info...

It looks like they do "reflect" since LEDs have a wide beam but not "reflectors"

but idk!
Old 04-03-2012, 10:34 PM   #6
bump anyone else
btw thank you snow and kona
Old 04-03-2012, 10:39 PM   #7
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I was actually more talking about the blinker and reverse halogens; unless you throw some of those cree LED's in the reverse, if you paint the reflectors it'll make them lose most of their output. (Though, the reflectors do help make the red brake LED's brighter too)
Old 04-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #8
so if i replace the halogens with leds i should be good?
Old 04-04-2012, 12:09 AM   #9
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I see vehicles all the time with what appear to be LED bulbs in place of standards. The light output is very low compared to stock. I consider these unsafe. Hard to see a signal across an intersection in the daylight.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redheadedrider113 View Post
so if i replace the halogens with leds i should be good?
Depends on the LED.
The cree LED that I was talking about is like a small projector, so it doesnt use the reflector to intensify it's light

Im not sure there is one like that for the blinker, however.

(IMO, the safest route to take is to get the smoked housing)
Old 04-04-2012, 12:24 AM   #11
Okay thank you
Old 04-04-2012, 12:48 AM   #13
The smoked or my idea? I'm think I still my buy the clear plasti derp one compare them if it works peel off derp and paint both if it doesnt I'll smoke them my self