Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

2012 headlight/grill removal

Old 04-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #1
knine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 4th Fighter Wing
knine00's Tacoma Gallery
2012 headlight/grill removal

I have been asked this question a lot so I thought I would put up a video of how to remove the headlights and grill off of a 2012 tacoma! Hope this helps someone!

Old 04-03-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
syl5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsyl5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsyl5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsyl5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsyl5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsyl5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsyl5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsyl5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsyl5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsyl5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsyl5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

syl5000's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks a lot! Definitely helpful!
Old 04-03-2012, 06:30 PM   #4
knine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
knine00's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks just trying to help out when I can!
Old 04-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #5
Policy Ninja
tango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff
tango down's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd, thanks for doing this! When grillcraft comes out with their meshfor the 12 i'll be puttin in my kragens behind it and will need this vid.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #6
JTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Flight School
Name: JT
JTaco386's Tacoma Gallery
I don't see the video here or is it because I'm on my iPhone?
Old 05-09-2012, 07:42 PM   #7
deadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
deadhed61's Tacoma Gallery
yeah, its there. Droid, FTW!
Old 05-09-2012, 07:48 PM   #8
JTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadhed61 View Post
yeah, its there. Droid, FTW!
Ahh! Damn iPhone...lol. Is there a way someone can embed this to YouTube please? I have the 10mm screws undone and the plastic tabs, but I don't want to force it off and break something.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:46 PM   #9
Datsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Datsik's Tacoma Gallery
It's a whole lot more than "a little finesse" that's for damn sure lol. I've been sitting here all day trying to wiggle these headlights out without scratching or removing the bumper
Old 06-15-2012, 10:49 PM   #10
Datsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shedDatsik is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Datsik's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, just got them out - so to clarify on the "tilting and pulling out." You bring the inboard side of the light upward and out and you actually push the outboard side in. Maybe this might help people a little that aren't as "tetris" savvy like myself...
Old 06-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsik View Post
Ok, just got them out - so to clarify on the "tilting and pulling out." You bring the inboard side of the light upward and out and you actually push the outboard side in. Maybe this might help people a little that aren't as "tetris" savvy like myself...
There is definitely some serious finessing to get these out, I have done it twice and I'm about to put them back in after the retrofit. I put a t-shirt around them to help prevent any scratching.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:38 AM   #12
Datsik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
exactly what I have been doing for awhile....it works pretty good for how thin a shirt is.
Granted this is an '06 but the whole puzzle box feeling is the same....As the light rotates more, I always try to cover those fender edges....this was just due to me having only 1 hand being used for the camera at the time.

Thanks for those pics. Definitely shows how to tilt them perfectly.

good thread OP. very helpful
Old 06-29-2012, 12:11 AM   #13
live4perfection will become famous soon enoughlive4perfection will become famous soon enough
live4perfection's Tacoma Gallery
Us guys with iPhones/iPads...u gotta get CloudBrowse app...it allows u to view all flash and other formats that u normally can't. Just and FYI.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:21 PM   #14
RipVanDango is on a distinguished road
Marines: 1st MLG, Engineer Maint. Co. (04-08)
Name: Cody
RipVanDango's Tacoma Gallery
Weird. I'm on an iPhone and I watched the video fine. Maybe it's because it's jailbroken.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #15
live4perfection will become famous soon enoughlive4perfection will become famous soon enough
live4perfection's Tacoma Gallery
I've never really seen the upside to jail breaking an iPhone. Guess this could be a pretty good reason.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:00 PM   #17
AaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Aaron
AaronArf's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsik View Post
I hate to bump an old thread, but THANK you for this. I was fighting with mine for quite some time, knine00's video helped immensely but your description on how to get the lights out saved me. Literally went from an hour fiddling with one light to 30 seconds and I was done with both lights. That third bolt down under the light was also a BITCH. My only two struggles with my removal & install.

Going to post a link to this in thegreatwall's retro install how to.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:49 AM   #18
knine00's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I really hated that third bolt. Its enough to make you stop doing the mod lol
Old 02-22-2013, 07:26 AM   #19
TRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud of
TRD Toy85's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for posting ill be doin Bhlm soon
Old 03-06-2013, 09:56 AM   #20
Liem Salim is a jewel in the roughLiem Salim is a jewel in the roughLiem Salim is a jewel in the rough

Name: Ryan
Liem Salim's Tacoma Gallery
Did you do the retrofit yourself? If so what did you use to black out the inside of your headlight and how?