Notices

LED Tape Bed Illumination

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-05-2012, 06:28 PM   #1
mikedaddy is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
mikedaddy's Tacoma Gallery
LED Tape Bed Illumination

Super easy to do! Bought 16ft of waterproof LED tape off of Amazon for 12 bucks and a few parts from an auto parts store. Ran the tape under the bed rails and put the switch in the bed. I am trying to hunt down a switch that is lit when the lights are off and off when the lights are on so I can find it easier in the dark.
Attached Thumbnails
LED Tape Bed Illumination-bed1.jpg   LED Tape Bed Illumination-photo3.jpg   LED Tape Bed Illumination-photo4.jpg  
Old 07-31-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
I don't know what to write here
12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

12DblCab's Tacoma Gallery
Can you post a link to what you bought? I'm looking at some on Amazon, but I can't tell if they are going to be bright enough. I looked at some LED strips at Autozone that had a TEST button, and they were either weak or flashed in a sequence.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:29 AM   #3
TJ'sTOYCOMA
tmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: T-Rey
tmreyes1's Tacoma Gallery
More info and pics of your install please
Old 08-01-2012, 10:15 AM   #4
I don't know what to write here
12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

12DblCab's Tacoma Gallery
I was looking at this set on Amazon. It looks like it is waterproof, has an adhesive backing, and should be long enough to go around the 3 walls of the bed on a short bed Tacoma. I think this is pretty much the same set the OP bought.

http://www.amazon.com/NEEWER%C2%AE-I...pr_product_top

I'm not sure what kind of wiring setup I would need to run it straight to the battery. An inline fuse and what else? What size fuse?
Old 08-01-2012, 04:44 PM   #5
TJ'sTOYCOMA
tmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: T-Rey
tmreyes1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12DblCab View Post
I was looking at this set on Amazon. It looks like it is waterproof, has an adhesive backing, and should be long enough to go around the 3 walls of the bed on a short bed Tacoma. I think this is pretty much the same set the OP bought.

http://www.amazon.com/NEEWER%C2%AE-I...pr_product_top

I'm not sure what kind of wiring setup I would need to run it straight to the battery. An inline fuse and what else? What size fuse?

I have a couple of lights in my bed right now with an inline fuse ran straight to the battery. I want to go to LED lights
Old 08-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #6
RipVanDango is on a distinguished road
Marines: 1st MLG, Engineer Maint. Co. (04-08)
Name: Cody
RipVanDango's Tacoma Gallery
I have strips of LEDs under the rails in my truck. I used the silicone coated ones from superbrightleds.com. Ran a switch out of the enclosure next to the ac outlet, and ran that to an inline fuse at the fuse box/battery terminal, ran a single wire up the right side of the frame following the existing wiring harness as far as it went. They aren't that bright in the day, but camping I can't sleep with them on. It's like closing your eyes while looking at the sun, bright! They have watertight ends and watertight connects that are pretty cheap. It was more than 12 dollars, but it works really well. I adhered them with a simple tube of silicone from lowes, since they are silicone, and they are stuck on tight.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:33 PM   #7
RipVanDango is on a distinguished road
Marines: 1st MLG, Engineer Maint. Co. (04-08)
Name: Cody
RipVanDango's Tacoma Gallery
5 amp fuse should work fine, 10 is plenty.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:44 PM   #8
PhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: US Army Corps of Engineers - NADENMG
Name: Ron
PhantomVirus's Tacoma Gallery
12Dbl
Did you pull the trigger and buy them? Really debating these - need them to be bright enough and low profile enough.

However, they are cheap enough to be throw away if needed but I really want then to work well ;-)

Take a look @ this wiring posting....he tied it into his overhead / console light....

R
Old 08-19-2012, 09:52 PM   #9
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
Subbing, so I can buy these when I get to a computer. Well done guys.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:55 PM   #10
Retired Senior NCO
sfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired U.S. Army Air Defender
Name: Dan
sfcadams's Tacoma Gallery

Products Discussed in this Thread