Notices

What lights to put on my light bar

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-06-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
Rastamanty is on a distinguished road
Name: Tyler
Rastamanty's Tacoma Gallery
What lights to put on my light bar

I just purchased a 4 tab light bar from snobord552 and now I'm searching for the right lights. I'm a newb when it comes to lights so any advise will be helpful. My primary use will be for hunting/spotting animals at night and some off-roading to get there. So I would like a light that can reach out far.
I'm thinking of mounting the outer 2 lights to angle off to the outside and leave the 2 in the middle going straight. Any thoughts? Oh yeah, my budget is about $200.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #3
RacerP will become famous soon enough
RacerP's Tacoma Gallery
The Kragen's on the group buy are probably the best deal around, unless you find used.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gro...ch-2012-a.html

The 7" ones are a tough fit on snobords light bar. 4" jobs would fit very nicely. Remember with your budget, you are going to need wiring too!

For the really budget minded there is always Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/off-roa...stem-3029.html
Old 04-06-2012, 11:52 AM   #4
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
stay away from PIA http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/pro...ml#post4294227
Old 04-06-2012, 11:55 AM   #5
My name is Mudd
mcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant future

Name: mike
mcdowell's Tacoma Gallery
Amazon has great deals on KC Daylighters. 130w is great
Old 04-06-2012, 01:32 PM   #6
iroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to behold
iroc409's Tacoma Gallery
How much do you want to spend, and how many lights? I would suggest two pencil beams for long range, and two Euro beam or cornering beams for closer in lighting (or one of each). Hella and Cibie are probably about your best, like the Hella Rallye 4000's or something. Some of the LED bars look promising, and would be good for what you want--but may not give you the distance.

Most of the ones mentioned are kind of "meh", but it really depends on what you're looking for. The Kragens and KCs will get you a lot of light pretty cheap. I would definitely stay away from PIAA, they are probably built nice but seem overpriced for what you get. Lightforces are big gigantic Maglites, but will get you a ton of distance.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:35 PM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
What do you want? HID? LED? Halogen? Candle Powered?
Old 04-06-2012, 01:50 PM   #9
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
I went with Hella 700ffs when I had a light bar made by snobord552. I only had the 3 light bar but here's how it looked.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #11
iroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to behold
iroc409's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJammn5 View Post
I want candle power, please.
I think the first headlights were indeed powered by candles.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:24 PM   #12
iroc409's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmok View Post
I went with Hella 700ffs when I had a light bar made by snobord552. I only had the 3 light bar but here's how it looked.
Hella 700's would probably be a decent, relatively inexpensive choice.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:29 PM   #13
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastamanty View Post
I just purchased a 4 tab light bar from snobord552 and now I'm searching for the right lights. I'm a newb when it comes to lights so any advise will be helpful. My primary use will be for hunting/spotting animals at night and some off-roading to get there. So I would like a light that can reach out far.
I'm thinking of mounting the outer 2 lights to angle off to the outside and leave the 2 in the middle going straight. Any thoughts? Oh yeah, my budget is about $200.
$200 for 4 lights is pretty much Hella quality only. So ... not much. Your headlights are about that bright.

Try craigs list for some steals. I got PIAAs for like $50 one time. In fact, if you're super interested, I could probably sell them as a "starter" set. Yellow beam, spot, definitely showing rust but still work just fine. Come w/ the grills.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:30 PM   #14
iroc409's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
$200 for 4 lights is pretty much Hella quality only. So ... not much. Your headlights are about that bright.
Cheap lights are cheap lights; Hella makes higher end stuff that is very good.

PIAA makes you pay a lot for marketing. Their 55W=85W is just false advertising, and colorizing bulbs only really server to *reduce* light output. I know a lot of people like the 520's and such, so they must be decent, but for PIAA money you can usually get into something like a Hella Rallye 4000, which is a very good light. The Rallyes are made in compact versions as well, if you're looking for a smaller light.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:28 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
What do you want? HID? LED? Halogen? Candle Powered?
HID's would be nice but based on my budget I'm thinking Halogen.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:38 AM   #16
After more research, I think I will save up and possibly double my budget.
I like the Hella 4000 Rallye lights. Thinking of doing 2 pencil beams in the middle and 2 cornering beams on the outsides. Anyone have a setup like this?
Old 04-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #17
Trifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trifenix's Tacoma Gallery
Hella Rallye 4000 LEDS!
Old 04-09-2012, 07:48 PM   #18
WTF
1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

1TUFFTRD's Tacoma Gallery

7 inch kragen HID's
Old 04-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #19
wtmtntaco is on a distinguished road

wtmtntaco's Tacoma Gallery
I have 3 KC 5x7 100 watt halogen long range on my snobord bar. They really help the night time driving, haven't hit any moose yet.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #20
WTF
1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

1TUFFTRD's Tacoma Gallery

Products Discussed in this Thread