Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Retrofit: Price vs. Functionality

Old 04-08-2012, 12:37 PM   #1
CascoYota has a spectacular aura aboutCascoYota has a spectacular aura aboutCascoYota has a spectacular aura about
Name: John
CascoYota's Tacoma Gallery
Retrofit: Price vs. Functionality

For the past week, I have been reading a lot on retrofitting. I've decided I want to make an attempt at it. From the reviews I have read, theretrofitsource.com is the place to order from.

I don't want to risk mangling my OEM headlights. So I ordered a set off Ebay for about $117. They were from JDM. Already blacked out.

My question is this: (Sorry if it has been asked before) What is the best kit to go with? If i'm going to invest the time and money, I would like the finished result to be worth it. However, is their only certain applications where the top kits are worth it?

For example, I do plan on adding extra lighting. Such as a light bar behind my satoshi.

I'm stuck between the FX R Stage III and IV kit. If anyone has used either, or better yet, both. I would really like to hear your input on pros and cons to each.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-08-2012, 12:51 PM   #2
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
I just ordered a set of the stage IV FX-R's in the group buy and did so because I wanted more light output. That;s why I wanted to retrofit in the first place and it didn't make sense to me to get the stage III just because it's such an easier install. Yes they are plug and play essentially but again, I wanted more light, and in my mind it didn't make sense to sacrifice function for convenience. Just my .02 If you aren't afraid of a dremel or a hole saw, and you truly want to get the most light output possible with your headlights, I 'd say go with the stage IV. As far as your aftermarket lights you ordered are concerned a lot of people have a lot of problems with them fogging up easily since they don't seal as well as the stock housings. In my opinion you should send them back and just go for broke on your stock housings, the bhlm isn't too complicated and I think over all you'll be happier you stayed with the stock ones.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PS you should get in on the group buy we've got going right now. It's about to be closed but I bet if you ordered tomorrow you'd get the 25% discount.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:00 PM   #4
CascoYota has a spectacular aura aboutCascoYota has a spectacular aura aboutCascoYota has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post
I just ordered a set of the stage IV FX-R's in the group buy and did so because I wanted more light output. That;s why I wanted to retrofit in the first place and it didn't make sense to me to get the stage III just because it's such an easier install. Yes they are plug and play essentially but again, I wanted more light, and in my mind it didn't make sense to sacrifice function for convenience. Just my .02 If you aren't afraid of a dremel or a hole saw, and you truly want to get the most light output possible with your headlights, I 'd say go with the stage IV. As far as your aftermarket lights you ordered are concerned a lot of people have a lot of problems with them fogging up easily since they don't seal as well as the stock housings. In my opinion you should send them back and just go for broke on your stock housings, the bhlm isn't too complicated and I think over all you'll be happier you stayed with the stock ones.
Yea, you're right. I guess I will go for those. Well, I was planning on re-sealing the aftermarket lights when I put them back together anyways. Buy the 3M strip sealant. And then use some silicone for the outside of the housing. Just on the off-chance I really screw up. Maybe i'll use the ebay ones as back-ups then and to the retrofit on my stock assemblies. Thanks for the input!
Old 04-08-2012, 01:00 PM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post
PS you should get in on the group buy we've got going right now. It's about to be closed but I bet if you ordered tomorrow you'd get the 25% discount.
Seriously? I'm gonna go check that out right now. Thanks man!
Old 04-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #6
Purveyor of Fun

Yup! I saved a hundred bucks off my stage IV kit. MY head works in strange ways. i.e. the more I spend the more I save. My wife feels differently about this logic.