Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

HIDs in stock housing glare

Old 04-10-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
ault3r3d is on a distinguished road

Name: Danny
ault3r3d's Tacoma Gallery
HIDs in stock housing glare

I just had 6000k hids installed in my stock reflector housing and i noticed that they are projecting light everywhere and produce a bad glare to other drivers. How do i fix this? Will aiming and adjusting the headlights work? Do i need to buy aftermarket headlight projectors? i am new to all this lighting stuff and i already read the lighting stickys but im still not sure what to do. Any suggestions would help!!
Old 04-10-2012, 02:46 PM   #2
Darthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Darthyota's Tacoma Gallery
only way to fix this properly is either remove the hids or to do a projector retrofit
Old 04-10-2012, 10:43 PM   #3
tubesock is on a distinguished road
tubesock's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
While not designed to be interchangeable, some aftermarket companies are substantially altering the HID bulb bases or providing adapters so that the HID bulbs can be inserted in headlamps designed for filament bulbs. The consequence of making these substitutions is to adversely affect safety. Filament headlamps are optically designed for the volume of light and filament placement and other critical dimensions and performance that OEM filament bulbs have. The HID conversions result in two to three times the volume of light and potentially imprecise arc placement. Such conversions often result in beam patterns that behave nothing like the original filament beam pattern, cannot be reliably aimed, and have many times the permitted glare intensity. In informal conversations with persons who have tested such conversions, the light intensity on one at a point aimed toward oncoming drivers was 22 times the allowable intensity limit. Another lamp was more than 7 times too intense. With poor HID bulb and arc placement, the glare intensity could be significantly worse. Thus, the use of these conversions could be yet another source of the glare problems about which many drivers have complained.
Do everyone else on the road a big favor and get a proper HID housing, don't just replace the bulbs.

Since the bulb design is so different, you won't have much luck aiming it. I don't think they can possibly aim down far enough. you'd have to put some masking tape on the front lens to get the proper cutoff but that would really defeat the purpose of replacing the bulbs in the first place.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:56 PM   #4
Skewpage
chilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rodrigo
chilidogrc's Tacoma Gallery
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What they said. I had a set of pnp hids and took them out after a week. Fucking horrible. Just stick with halogens. You'll get much better light output with them in your stock housings. Now, if you have the time ad money, retrofit would be the way to go.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:20 AM   #5

okay so i guess im going to have to get a retrofit projector housing. Any recommendations? I already paid for my hid kit so i don't want to get rid of it. Will my hid kit fit in any projector housing? i believe i have h4 bulbs.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:09 AM   #6

stupid question but when people say get a projector retrofit, do they mean cut into my reflector assembly and put in a projector or get a new projector headlight?
Old 04-11-2012, 01:12 AM   #7
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ault3r3d View Post
stupid question but when people say get a projector retrofit, do they mean cut into my reflector assembly and put in a projector or get a new projector headlight?
Search Morimoto mini H1 retrofit walkthroughs, or even my
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...o-mini-h1.html

You don't have to cut anything. Just need to bake the headlight a little, open it up, put the projector in, bake it again and close it.
Easy with a bit of common sense.

Since you already have HIDs, you only need a relay harness (if you dont already have one) and projectors. I got mine from the member Rmyc for $90 shipped.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:55 PM   #9
Motivator
YayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Police Caller
YayAreaTaco0311's Tacoma Gallery
I have 5000K HIDs in my stock housing right now. I didn't know much about the HID retrofit and glare until I came here. I took my truck to the shop and they adjusted it lower so it pretty much acts like a regular headlight. This will do until I get money for the HID retrofit. If you don't have the funds for it, just get it adjusted lower at a local shop until you get the retrofit!
Old 04-12-2012, 12:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by YayAreaTaco0311 View Post
I have 5000K HIDs in my stock housing right now. I didn't know much about the HID retrofit and glare until I came here. I took my truck to the shop and they adjusted it lower so it pretty much acts like a regular headlight. This will do until I get money for the HID retrofit. If you don't have the funds for it, just get it adjusted lower at a local shop until you get the retrofit!
yeah im going to do the same thing and adjust it lower until i do the retrofit. But does anyone know if i need to drill a bigger hole in the reflector assembly for the fx-r projectors?
Old 04-12-2012, 12:16 AM   #12

thats what i thought... looks like its gonna take some time and money before i get this retrofit done... both of which i don't have
thanks for the info. looks like ill have to adjust my headlights tomorrow so people stop flashing their high beams at me
Old 04-14-2012, 09:02 PM   #13
iroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to behold
iroc409's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...0-hid-faq.html
Old 09-25-2012, 08:21 AM   #14
Rebel Taco Man is a jewel in the roughRebel Taco Man is a jewel in the roughRebel Taco Man is a jewel in the rough

Name: Tyler
Rebel Taco Man's Tacoma Gallery
i installed 6000k bi-xenon's in mine last friday. i absolutely love them. i havent gotten any flashes from people, my buddy have rode in front of me and said the glare wasnt bad. but he drives a duramax that sits higher than mine... my dad drove infront in the car and said it was aweful. but thats dad. and another one of my friends said i almost ran him off the road when he passed me at like 2 in the morning... now, the low beam is amazing i can see everything. but when i flip to high beam, the light goes straight up. and i dont care about seeing the tree tops. so i dont know whether they are adjusted right? or whats wrong. ive thought about removing the metal shield as well, cause the bulbs shine through the top half of my headlight housing only... the bottom half is dark. so that seems to be part of my problem, i dont have the money for retro, so dont even suggest it right now. thanks but i know i need them. but its out of the ? also my highbeam light on the dash doesnt come on when the switch is flipped. how do i fix that?
Old 09-25-2012, 08:37 AM   #15
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Taco Man View Post
i installed 6000k bi-xenon's in mine last friday. i absolutely love them. i havent gotten any flashes from people, my buddy have rode in front of me and said the glare wasnt bad. but he drives a duramax that sits higher than mine... my dad drove infront in the car and said it was aweful. but thats dad. and another one of my friends said i almost ran him off the road when he passed me at like 2 in the morning... now, the low beam is amazing i can see everything. but when i flip to high beam, the light goes straight up. and i dont care about seeing the tree tops. so i dont know whether they are adjusted right? or whats wrong. ive thought about removing the metal shield as well, cause the bulbs shine through the top half of my headlight housing only... the bottom half is dark. so that seems to be part of my problem, i dont have the money for retro, so dont even suggest it right now. thanks but i know i need them. but its out of the ? also my highbeam light on the dash doesnt come on when the switch is flipped. how do i fix that?

aim your damn headlights. park 30 feet from a wall and aim them.

http://ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/ilea...6ta/051000.pdf

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...0-hid-faq.html
Old 09-25-2012, 08:40 AM   #16
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Do it right or don't do it at all. You're a safety detriment to other drivers on the road.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:41 AM   #17
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Taco Man View Post
Do NOT remove the shrouds... The shrouds are doing their job, the top half of the headlight is lit because the light reflects off the top half of the housing toward the ground. The shroud prevents light from reflecting off the bottom of the housing upward into the eyes of oncoming traffic.

Otherwise, you threw a bulb into a housing that was not meant to receive it. Halogens and HID's produce light differently. HID's light up throughout the entire length of the bulb vs. halogens that have a more concentrated light at the end or middle of the bulb. This is why you end up with a lot of glare from drop in HID kits and likely the reason your getting light thrown in weird directions.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:21 PM   #18
Rebel Taco Man is a jewel in the roughRebel Taco Man is a jewel in the roughRebel Taco Man is a jewel in the rough

Name: Tyler
Rebel Taco Man's Tacoma Gallery
Ok. Thanks and I'm gonna aim em chill. And I'm gonna get new smoked housings