Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Dome and Map Light gremlin?

Old 04-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
Ronaldo156 is on a distinguished road
Name: Ron
Ronaldo156's Tacoma Gallery
Dome and Map Light gremlin?

Hey all, recently did a full swap to LED's on my interior (4 in guage cluster 3 in AC panel, 2 map lights and 1 HP Dome) and ive ran into a minor gremlin that has me stumped. This is in my 2002 3.4l Ext Cab manual.

basicly; my map and dome lights will not turn on unless I have the key in ACC or ON position. they work fine with the truck on, and the door sensors are fine on the dome light when it's on, but nothing will turn on with the truck off.

I've also noticed that 2 of my AC panel lights (the fan setting and the climate control) are now on full time when the truck is running, regardless of having the lights turned on. They appear dimmer then the third AC light (the vent selction one) which will turn on and off with the dash lights. any idea whats going on here?

I had previously blown a dome fuse when doing the swap (radio and clock went out aswell) but replaced and everything seems in order minus my above problems.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:50 PM   #3
Norton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 17D4B w/ assignments in AFCC, AFSC, AFMC, AFSPC, AFRC, USAWC, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, USAFA
Name: Steve
Norton's Tacoma Gallery
Known problem with 1st Gen Tacomas, OP. Chris's suggestion will work, but the resistors can get pretty hot. (Mine melted the spring contact assembly that came with my LED panel.) If you want to go this route, there are pics located here.

After mine melted, I simply soldered the LED connections to either side of the original dome light bulb. Works great and doesn't seem to get as hot as the resistors did...
Old 04-15-2012, 03:20 AM   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton View Post
Known problem with 1st Gen Tacomas, OP. Chris's suggestion will work, but the resistors can get pretty hot. (Mine melted the spring contact assembly that came with my LED panel.) If you want to go this route, there are pics located here.

After mine melted, I simply soldered the LED connections to either side of the original dome light bulb. Works great and doesn't seem to get as hot as the resistors did...
thanks guys, i'll have to stop by the shack and pick some up! will I need 2 for the dome and 1 each for the maps? hope this works... Before i had different LED's in, but they would come on when the doors were open but be very dim, now they are non existant until there's power from the ignition!
Old 04-25-2012, 04:05 AM   #5
put in some resistors today and those did that trick on the dome and map lights. 2 100ohm 1 watt resistors for the dome and 1 each for the map.

those two lights in my AC panel are still always on with the truck running though...
Old 03-06-2014, 04:33 AM   #6
Demosthenes is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: ESD, BTM
Name: Brian
Demosthenes's Tacoma Gallery
Had the same issue with my LED swap in my 03 PreRunner double cab, and did the 100 ohm resistor trick on just the dome light. Now they're all bright, but the dome light won't come on when you open the door. If you flip the dome light switch to “On", it works fine, even with the key off. Any ideas? Could it be a polarity issue? I haven't had a chance to try to swap it around yet.