1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dome and Map Light gremlin?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Ronaldo156, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Apr 14, 2012 at 5:27 PM
    Ronaldo156

Ronaldo156 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Washington
    Red LED interior swap, Deck Plate Mod, Magnaflow 18"
    Hey all, recently did a full swap to LED's on my interior (4 in guage cluster 3 in AC panel, 2 map lights and 1 HP Dome) and ive ran into a minor gremlin that has me stumped. This is in my 2002 3.4l Ext Cab manual.

basicly; my map and dome lights will not turn on unless I have the key in ACC or ON position. they work fine with the truck on, and the door sensors are fine on the dome light when it's on, but nothing will turn on with the truck off.

I've also noticed that 2 of my AC panel lights (the fan setting and the climate control) are now on full time when the truck is running, regardless of having the lights turned on. They appear dimmer then the third AC light (the vent selction one) which will turn on and off with the dash lights. any idea whats going on here?

I had previously blown a dome fuse when doing the swap (radio and clock went out aswell) but replaced and everything seems in order minus my above problems.

2. Apr 14, 2012 at 5:48 PM
    csjumper2003

csjumper2003 Jumper's Leds Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2014 SSM Trd Off Road 4x4 Auto
    If you take a 100ohm resister from radio shack and put it in line going to the dome, it will fix your problem.

3. Apr 14, 2012 at 10:50 PM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    Magnuson S/C w/12TRDTacoma's Qwikchange Hub & 2.5" RIP-Modded Pulley, Roostfactor's Pulley Wrap Mod; FPR Mod; JustDSM Tune via HPT MPVI2; mightytacoman Intercooler Tank; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; OME Suspension Lift (885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports); TRD Quickshifter w/TRD 6-Spd Knob; TRD Exhaust; NSB-AGM27F Battery w/HKB Adjustable Voltage Booster & Coupe's TRD Battery Hold Down; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Trident904's MT ADM; BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; BPF TRD Skid, Tow Hook, & Cooling Panel; jsi's Locker Anytime, Up2NoGood's 2Lo Module; ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay, ND4's Fog Light Anytime, & Crom's Speed Bleeder Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades; ThreatLevelMidnight's Wireless Charger; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; redtaco2007-inspired LED License Plate Lights; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Noico Sound Insulation; loginfailed-inspired Speedhut Boost & AFR Gauges in a Lotek Pillar Pod; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror on ImMrYo's Mirror Lift Bracket; TacomaBeast Glove Box & Console Organizers; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; mesojdm's Ultimate LED Dome & Map Lights & GASSHOLE; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Cali Raised Led Bed Stiffeners; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock w/TacomaTruckParts Support Bracket; ARE Z-Series Cap, SolarGard Tint; BlendMounted & MirrorTapped Uniden R3; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    Known problem with 1st Gen Tacomas, OP. Chris's suggestion will work, but the resistors can get pretty hot. (Mine melted the spring contact assembly that came with my LED panel.) If you want to go this route, there are pics located here.

After mine melted, I simply soldered the LED connections to either side of the original dome light bulb. Works great and doesn't seem to get as hot as the resistors did...

4. Apr 15, 2012 at 3:20 AM
    Ronaldo156

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Washington
    thanks guys, i'll have to stop by the shack and pick some up! will I need 2 for the dome and 1 each for the maps? hope this works... Before i had different LED's in, but they would come on when the doors were open but be very dim, now they are non existant until there's power from the ignition!

5. Apr 25, 2012 at 4:05 AM
    Ronaldo156

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Washington
    put in some resistors today and those did that trick on the dome and map lights. 2 100ohm 1 watt resistors for the dome and 1 each for the map.

those two lights in my AC panel are still always on with the truck running though...

6. Mar 6, 2014 at 4:33 AM
    Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2003 Prerunner SR5 2WD
    brush guard, LED headlight surrounds, Alpine stereo system, running boards, bigger tires (all came with the truck when I bought it)
    Had the same issue with my LED swap in my 03 PreRunner double cab, and did the 100 ohm resistor trick on just the dome light. Now they're all bright, but the dome light won't come on when you open the door. If you flip the dome light switch to “On", it works fine, even with the key off. Any ideas? Could it be a polarity issue? I haven't had a chance to try to swap it around yet.

Products Discussed in

To Top