Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Which is better for headlights/fogs HID or LED?

Old 04-16-2012, 06:02 AM   #1
Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Toyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Toyota Tech31's Tacoma Gallery
Which is better for headlights/fogs HID or LED?

Alright, after much searching, i am having no luck finding a thread that actually discusses which is better for replacement of headlight/fog light bulbs. I have found lots that discuss which is better for off road lights, but does anyone have experience with using those fancy looking LED bulbs in their headlights or fog lights? If anyone has a link to a thread i am talking about, but not finding, that would be appreciated as well. Here's my story:

I am planning on purchasing another set of Hella 500's for behind my grille, at that point i want to either convert everything to HID or should i just install some LED bulbs in everything? By everything i mean everything, 4 hellas, both headlights, fog lights, and (if led) turn/parking light. What should i do? Which would give me the best light? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Also, if anyone has a set of Hellas laying around they would like to sell, let me know.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #3
Darthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Darthyota's Tacoma Gallery
led headlights havent caught up to hids just yet so most options will actually be worse. although for drl indicator maker lights and brake lights you can go led. headlights and converted offroad lights should be hid unless you are buying an led light bar. and just fyi an led headlight conversion last i heard cost around $8000
Old 04-16-2012, 12:23 PM   #4
Toyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthyota View Post
led headlights havent caught up to hids just yet so most options will actually be worse. although for drl indicator maker lights and brake lights you can go led. headlights and converted offroad lights should be hid unless you are buying an led light bar. and just fyi an led headlight conversion last i heard cost around $8000

I was just thinking about the direct replacement bulbs from like ebay or somewhere. But the more i think of it, i am pretty sure i will go HID, just wondering if anyone had tried the bulbs i'm talking about yet? Plus since i hadnt seen any good threads compairing the 2, i thought this would open up a good conversation.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
Instagram: stormtrooptaco
HighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud of

Name: Hank
HighTQCummins's Tacoma Gallery
I have a set of LED bulbs in my fogs, fwiw, i probably wouldn't do it again, the only thing they're really good at is lighting up the housing, so you get HID look w/ no glare. As far as light out put, not so good, but i didn't buy them w/ this expectation

Since you'll be paying about the same for either, it really comes down to, how much do you want to piss everyone else off. HID's in fog housing glare like crazy
Old 04-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTQCummins View Post
I have a set of LED bulbs in my fogs, fwiw, i probably wouldn't do it again, the only thing they're really good at is lighting up the housing, so you get HID look w/ no glare. As far as light out put, not so good, but i didn't buy them w/ this expectation

Since you'll be paying about the same for either, it really comes down to, how much do you want to piss everyone else off. HID's in fog housing glare like crazy
Thanks, just the type of info i am looking for!