Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Acute blinker issues

Old 04-28-2012, 11:35 AM   #1
jedi926 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: 3E7X1
jedi926's Tacoma Gallery
Acute blinker issues

Left side blinker is getting to the front and rear.

When my headlights or running lights are on the blinker will not blink but is lit up. When I turn my lights off the left blinker will work, however my clock and dash lights will blink also. Haz work when lights are off, turn lights on, no haz.

No problems with the right side.

What I have done: checked & replaced bulbs, checked fuses they work, checked every available ground wire I can see, no issues that I can see there. I have cleaned my contact points in my left & right tail light assembly.

2nd weekend in a row I have worked on this. Thought I fixed it last weekend after doing the above, drove a few miles and then it started again. Can't replicate what I did to "fix" the problem either.

What do you guys think?
Old 04-29-2012, 09:26 AM   #2
docjake has a spectacular aura aboutdocjake has a spectacular aura aboutdocjake has a spectacular aura about

docjake's Tacoma Gallery
What modifications if any have you made to the truck recently.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:46 AM   #3
jedi926's Tacoma Gallery
No mods done.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:08 AM   #4
docjake has a spectacular aura aboutdocjake has a spectacular aura aboutdocjake has a spectacular aura about

docjake's Tacoma Gallery
What were you doing, or just finished doing when it started?
Old 04-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #5
jedi926's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by docjake View Post
What were you doing, or just finished doing when it started?
Daily driving. I had just drove to pick up my son and all was fine. when I turned the truck back on, the left blinker light in the dash was lit up but not blinking. The front and rear left blinkers are lit when the lights are turned on but won't blink. Attempted again this weekend to follow wires, clean contacts, change bulbs, etc and nothing.

If I turn my lights off the left blinker will work, however it makes my dash and radio lights blink and my clock too.

Am I missing something?
Old 04-30-2012, 05:03 PM   #6
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Canadian Army: Royal Canadian Artillery (Sgt, Ret.)
Name: Frank
Highland Logan's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW.. sorry about your electrical issues.. my only suggestion would be gremlins, but that's unlikely as they only inhabit the North West. It does remind me of a short. Older Chevy's used to have an issue with water shorting out electrics if any of the wire plugs around the rear bumper got wet. Can rain, washing or muddy off-roading be taken off the list of possible causes?

Also you have a dup post on this. You may want to have a Mod take the other one down.

Frank
Old 04-30-2012, 07:24 PM   #7
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Trailer harness on the truck ?????????????
Old 04-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #8
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Mike View Post
That's what I was gonna ask. Trailer harness' mess up the turn signals a lot.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:21 AM   #9
jedi926's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Logan View Post
Welcome to TW.. sorry about your electrical issues.. my only suggestion would be gremlins, but that's unlikely as they only inhabit the North West. It does remind me of a short. Older Chevy's used to have an issue with water shorting out electrics if any of the wire plugs around the rear bumper got wet. Can rain, washing or muddy off-roading be taken off the list of possible causes?

Also you have a dup post on this. You may want to have a Mod take the other one down.

Frank
I did clean out some water build up (green crud) on the tail light wire housing, but even then it was rather minimal. My taillight gaskets are good, I think the only way I am getting any moisture in the tail area is from the wheel well itself.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:23 AM   #10
jedi926's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Mike View Post
I do have a trailer harness. I have checked that area moved the wires to see if they are causing a short or ground issues, but nothing. You guys have suggestions about the trailer harness?
Old 05-01-2012, 06:25 AM   #11
jedi926's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys, is there any chance that the problem is in headlight/blinker stem housing coming off the steering column?
Old 05-07-2012, 07:59 PM   #12
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi926 View Post
I do have a trailer harness. I have checked that area moved the wires to see if they are causing a short or ground issues, but nothing. You guys have suggestions about the trailer harness?
Aftermarket trailer harness? Those screw up quite often. The culprit is usually the converter box, not the wires. I'd disconnect the harness completely, including the converter box.

I'm assuming you pulled and replace all four turn signal bulbs? I have seen a dual element bulb burn out in such a way that the two filaments fused together. That could cause your issue.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:03 PM   #13
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Did you check the blinker fluid? Could be low....
Old 05-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #14
jedi926's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
Aftermarket trailer harness? Those screw up quite often. The culprit is usually the converter box, not the wires. I'd disconnect the harness completely, including the converter box.

I'm assuming you pulled and replace all four turn signal bulbs? I have seen a dual element bulb burn out in such a way that the two filaments fused together. That could cause your issue.
Have not pulled the harness or block, good idea to check there. I did replace all the bulbs too.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:03 AM   #15
jedi926's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletToothTony View Post
Did you check the blinker fluid? Could be low....

Really? Seriously?
Old 05-18-2012, 06:11 AM   #16
jedi926's Tacoma Gallery
FIXED IT! Attacked the problem again yesterday. I started with what you guys suggested and started to look at the aftermarket trailer converter block. No problems there, so I followed those wires up to the tail light. I opened all the plastic wire clips and exposed the wires in the metal clips. I turned on the blinker and started to remove wires one at a time. I found the wire causing the problem and it wasn't a trailer wire, it was one of the tail light wires. I found a wicked small split in the wire where it sits in the metal clip. Moved the wire, taped the cut, resealed the retainer, all is good.