Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

HELP!! Calling all Electrical/Lighting buffs!

Old 05-04-2012, 12:34 PM   #1
AstroluxAtom is on a distinguished road
AstroluxAtom's Tacoma Gallery
HELP!! Calling all Electrical/Lighting buffs!

Back in march, I did the fog light anytime mod, and the DTRL mod using the quick splice method provided by board user Piercedtiger (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...html#post45435). The Side markers and DTRL's worked fine up until I noticed them today while pulling into a bank of america. Neither the side marker or the DTRL's will turn on, and my interior orange backlight is ALWAYS on whether the switch is off, on side markers, or headlights. I loved having the side markers and DTRL's on all the time, so could this be a reason they stopped working? My blinkers and hazards still work perfectly fine, so I am guessing it has to do something with the DTRL mod, but how do I fix this?? Pretty bummed out...I hope I didn't fry anything that is too intricate for me to fix on my own!! If anyone has any advice, please shoot it my way so I don't bring it to the goddamn stealership.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:35 PM   #2
Soon to be west coast
11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FC1(SW/SS) Non Lethal Weapons Instructor Former STS SUBMARINES
Name: Jay
11TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroluxAtom View Post
Back in march, I did the fog light anytime mod, and the DTRL mod using the quick splice method provided by board user Piercedtiger (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...html#post45435). They worked fine up until I noticed them today while pulling into a bank of america. Neither the side marker or the DTRL's will turn on, and my interior orange backlight is ALWAYS on whether the switch is off, on side markers, or headlights. I loved having the side markers and DTRL's on all the time, so could this be a reason they stopped working? My blinkers and hazards still work perfectly fine, so I am guessing it has to do something with the DTRL mod, but how do I fix this?? Pretty bummed out...I hope I didn't fry anything that is too intricate for me to fix on my own!! If anyone has any advice, please shoot it my way so I don't bring it to the goddamn stealership.

Subd
Old 05-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #3
Soon to be west coast
11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed11TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FC1(SW/SS) Non Lethal Weapons Instructor Former STS SUBMARINES
Name: Jay
11TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Back in march, I did the fog light anytime mod, and the DTRL mod using the quick splice method provided by board user Piercedtiger (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...html#post45435). They worked fine up until I noticed them today while pulling into a bank of america. Neither the side marker or the DTRL's will turn on, and my interior orange backlight is ALWAYS on whether the switch is off, on side markers, or headlights. I loved having the side markers and DTRL's on all the time, so could this be a reason they stopped working? My blinkers and hazards still work perfectly fine, so I am guessing it has to do something with the DTRL mod, but how do I fix this?? Pretty bummed out...I hope I didn't fry anything that is too intricate for me to fix on my own!! If anyone has any advice, please shoot it my way so I don't bring it to the goddamn stealership.
How many times did you post this???
Old 05-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #4
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Dude, you have posted the same thread in three different forums within minutes. What the hell? Just leave the one in lighting and have the other two deleted.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #5
medusa1066 is just really nicemedusa1066 is just really nicemedusa1066 is just really nicemedusa1066 is just really nice
Name: Jonathan
medusa1066's Tacoma Gallery
Worst Case, can't u just reverse the installation to get back to stock?
Old 05-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11TRD View Post
How many times did you post this???
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
Dude, you have posted the same thread in three different forums within minutes. What the hell? Just leave the one in lighting and have the other two deleted.
You guys are

Old 05-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #7
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
You guys are

yur mai faveret janiter
Old 05-04-2012, 12:47 PM   #8
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
yur mai faveret janiter
I model my life after him...sans the squirrel army.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #10
bump...
Old 05-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #11

Marines:
Did you try reversing it yet?
Old 05-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #12
Nope...I was hoping someone would chime in a repair, not a reversal =( Might just have to go that route though. Although im still confused as to why the orange backlight stays on! grr.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #13

Marines:
The issue is it's almost impossible to diagnose on description only. Since it worked before, it's possible that a wire connection came undone and is touching something it shouldn't be. You might get more responses if you post pictures of the wiring connections. Reversing it (even if temporarily) is just going to prove it's the mod and not something else.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #14
So I checked my owners manual and it pointed to a fuse being out. Sure enough it was. Replaced the fuse and they worked fine until I started the car...then it blew again. I changed to a 15A and yet again the fuse blew. Looks like i'll be reversing the mod temporarily until me or (hopefully) someone on here figures out a remedy. What is throwing me off is the fact that they worked fine for over a month! Input please!!
Old 05-08-2012, 09:32 PM   #15
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What is throwing me off is the fact that they worked fine for over a month! Input please!!
You have a short to ground somewhere in the circuit that the fuse is feeding. It wasn't there when you did the mod, so I don't think the mod is the reason.

First thing you do is go back and double check every single little detail of what you did to perform the mod. This kind of thing tends to be something stupid, like a wire pulled tight on a sharp metal edge, that finally rubbed through after a month.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:41 PM   #16
Went through and found that the wire next to the green blinker wire had become smashed a bit from who knows what, and a small amount of copper wire was exposed. I covered with electrical tape and added a new fuse, and POP. The problem is still there. Running out of ideas here. I am going to be so mad if I undo the mod and the fuses keep blowing.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:07 PM   #17
DAMN. DTRL mod undone and still get the blown 10A fuse #27. Off to the stealership. Why me?