Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

hid headlight and fog lights out

Old 05-14-2012, 07:58 AM   #1
southerntaco171 is on a distinguished road

Name: Drew
southerntaco171's Tacoma Gallery
hid headlight and fog lights out

Yesterday I removed the condensation from my passenger side headlight. I started by loosening the wiper fluid tank so i could have more room to work. I pulled the hid bulb out and left the light housing open for an hour so that the water could escape. When I was installing the bulb into the back of the housing with both headlights and fog lights on( being sure not to touch the actual bulb) the passenger bulb turned off in my hand. The other 3 lights remained on. I finished putting the bulb in and the switched all the nights off and then back on in order to get the light that turned off to come back on. At this point neither the headlights nor the fog lights came back on. Any suggestions on how I can fix this?
Old 05-14-2012, 08:01 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Check your wiring. I'm guessing they all pull from the same power source or utilize a relay somewhere for all 4 lights to die at once. Do they all share a ground?
Old 05-14-2012, 08:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Check your wiring. I'm guessing they all pull from the same power source or utilize a relay somewhere for all 4 lights to die at once. Do they all share a ground?

I was going to search the forum for a wiring diagram so i could check the ground, in other words I don't know where the ground is. I got both hid kits from hid systems.com and their drop in kits.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:18 AM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerntaco171 View Post
I was going to search the forum for a wiring diagram so i could check the ground, in other words I don't know where the ground is. I got both hid kits from hid systems.com and their drop in kits.
So they're 100% plug and play and use the stock wiring only? If so, check your headlight fuse.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
So they're 100% plug and play and use the stock wiring only? If so, check your headlight fuse.
Yea they just drop in. I already pulled the fuses to the headlights their fine. I couldn't find the fog light fuses. Do you know where the ground us for the headlights? And do they share the same ground as the fogs?
Old 05-14-2012, 08:27 AM   #6
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
You have a short somewhere...or there may be a wire being being pressed against something...you sure you didn't snag a wire when reinstalling the wiper fluid container?
Old 05-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerez View Post
You have a short somewhere...or there may be a wire being being pressed against something...you sure you didn't snag a wire when reinstalling the wiper fluid container?
Everything involving the hids seems to be in order. I see the ground wire is still connected as well. I dont see any loose wires near the wiper fluid container.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:42 AM   #8
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Hmmm...the other day I had to check my friend hids that had gone out births ground connection was loose so I ran a new wire...

I doubt you shorted the relay...roll the driver window down (radio off so u can hear it) and open the engine fuse box reach into the truck and flip the switch and see if you can hear the relay flip
Old 05-14-2012, 08:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Hmmm...the other day I had to check my friend hids that had gone out births ground connection was loose so I ran a new wire...

I doubt you shorted the relay...roll the driver window down (radio off so u can hear it) and open the engine fuse box reach into the truck and flip the switch and see if you can hear the relay flip
I can hear the relay flip .along with a slight whining noise coming from somewhere else.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:51 AM   #10
SoCal Tacomas

Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerntaco171 View Post
I can hear the relay flip .along with a slight whining noise coming from somewhere else.
Whining noise?? never heard that one b4...I know that the ballasts will make like a "sparking" sound if they're going bad sometimes lol

Do you have a normal halogen bulb laying around that u can test?
Old 05-14-2012, 08:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Whining noise?? never heard that one b4...I know that the ballasts will make like a "sparking" sound if they're going bad sometimes lol

Do you have a normal halogen bulb laying around that u can test?
Ha the noise is difficult to explain but I can hear it with the light switch both off and on. I'm familiar with the ballast sound and I can't hear any noise coming from them. I don't have my halogens any more but I'm going to Walmart now to buy one. Any idea why both the fogs and head lights would ho out at the same time?