Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Piaa Headlight Bulbs

Old 05-24-2012, 10:07 AM   #1
Logan22 is on a distinguished road
Name: Logan
Logan22's Tacoma Gallery
Piaa Headlight Bulbs

I am wanting some headlight bulbs that illuminate white with no yellowish tent. Also I want to be able to just put them into stock housings, wires, etc. I was thinking about getting the Piaa Extreme White. Would these work fine for what I want. Also does anyone have any pics of these on their truck, I would really appreciate it if someone could post them. Do you have any other suggestions?
Old 05-24-2012, 10:08 AM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Another option would be Sylvania zXe. I might try these myself when the stock ones burn out Just remember that aftermarket lights won't last as long as stock.HIDs are an option but they look and project like crap in a reflective housing.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #3
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I've had the Sylvania Silverstars and they were exceptionally more white then the stock bulbs and I liked them cause the light output was better too. I'm sure the PIAA's are good as well but you will be paying a bit more for those.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:05 AM   #4
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Narva Range Power 50 http://store.candlepower.com/naraulhiou551.html

Those PIAA/Sylvania/whoever coated bulbs everyone loves suck IMO.

All the bulbs have the same wattage so:

Coating = less light

No coating = more light

Stolen from another forum:
I'd highly recommend the Osram Silverstars. These are like the Euro version of the Sylvania Silverstars and have won most magazine shootouts for several years AND they last longer than the Syl. Silverstars WITH better light output.

Go to Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply to buy them in the US. Outstanding bulbs to try in the FJ. There are 4 that are almost identical; Philips VisionPlus, Osram SilverStar, Narva RangePower+50, Tungsram Megalicht. Better than my PIAA's were.

Go here to see a review of the Osram's:

Bulb test - H7 + 50 | Product Tests | Car Reviews | Auto Express

If you want something really sweet, buy the Osram Ralleyes. I bought a set of them but I am upgrading my wiring harness to really take advantage of them as they are 70/65W bulbs and the Toy's wiring needs a little help as I am getting some voltage drop as it is now and this will just make it worse.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:07 AM   #5
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Oh and PIAA's quality is total shit. They will never see another dollar from me. Many will agree as well http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/pro...ml#post4294227
Old 05-24-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I've got the PIAA Xtreme white bulbs and like them. They have a good beam pattern and are white. Here's a pic of the light output color.

Here you can see they have a slightly blue hue in the headlight housing when the lights are off.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:19 AM   #7
Logan22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I've got the PIAA Xtreme white bulbs and like them. They have a good beam pattern and are white. Here's a pic of the light output color.

Here you can see they have a slightly blue hue in the headlight housing when the lights are off.
Thanks, the picture helped alot. You don't have to change any wiring or anything do you for these bulbs?
Old 05-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #8
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
agreed..........Ive been tempted to figure a way to get the coating off them.....even if the front (gray/black) coating comes off, I dont think it would effect others because the front of the bulbs is encapsulated by that lil shroud we have on the headlights.

whatcha think?

just buy Narva for the same price if not cheaper

As long as you don't get grease on them a strait razor will peel the coating off of them. It would be labor and time intensive.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:29 AM   #9
Logan22's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone know which piaa extreme white model I would need?
Old 05-24-2012, 11:32 AM   #10
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan22 View Post
Does anyone know which piaa extreme white model I would need?
Here's what you'd need:
9003/HB2/H4

No wiring required, unplug the old bulb, undo the retainer clip, install new bulb, plug in and done. Just make sure you don't touch the glass part of the bulb. It might help to wear nitrile gloves.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:39 AM   #11
Logan22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Here's what you'd need:
9003/HB2/H4

No wiring required, unplug the old bulb, undo the retainer clip, install new bulb, plug in and done. Just make sure you don't touch the glass part of the bulb. It might help to wear nitrile gloves.

Thanks alot
Old 05-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #12
Logan22's Tacoma Gallery
Do you think the extreme white plus would be even better? They cost a little more.