LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

2nd Gen Headlight Removal, pics

Old 01-21-2011, 08:40 PM   #21
atx is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
atx's Tacoma Gallery
Spent about 45 minutes on that last bolt... finally gave up when I accepted that my socket wouldn't fit in there because I had to add an extender on it to accept the small 10mm socket... going to buy another socket and try again... that thing is a bitch to get to
Old 01-22-2011, 03:26 PM   #22
If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off
Rocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Rocketball's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by atx View Post
Spent about 45 minutes on that last bolt... finally gave up when I accepted that my socket wouldn't fit in there because I had to add an extender on it to accept the small 10mm socket... going to buy another socket and try again... that thing is a bitch to get to
Don't waste your money buying a different socket...... What you have will work.

Take out 2-3 bolts along the fender edge that hold the plastic fender liner in place. Bend the fender liner out of the way. Mine was very flexible and bending it did not damage it at all.

Once it's out of the way, getting to that 4th bolt is a snap......
Old 01-22-2011, 05:13 PM   #23
Thread Jacker
schiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Caleb
schiz94's Tacoma Gallery
dude. just finished the BHLM but now i dont wanna go out and try to get the 4th bolt out to take the old ones off cuz its dark! damnit haha guess yall will have to wait for pics tomorrow
Old 01-23-2011, 03:22 AM   #24
atx is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
atx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketball View Post
Don't waste your money buying a different socket...... What you have will work.

Take out 2-3 bolts along the fender edge that hold the plastic fender liner in place. Bend the fender liner out of the way. Mine was very flexible and bending it did not damage it at all.

Once it's out of the way, getting to that 4th bolt is a snap......
Thanks- I'm planning on trying it again. I'll give that a shot.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:26 AM   #25
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by atx View Post
Thanks- I'm planning on trying it again. I'll give that a shot.
Yep! Definitely bend the fender liner out of your way. I removed the bottom two bolts...thats all that was needed to reach that 4th bolt
Old 02-05-2011, 09:12 PM   #26
AZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
AZBACKCOUNTRY's Tacoma Gallery
Great write up and helped me tremendously!!! Thanks for taking the time to post pics!!!
Old 02-05-2011, 09:54 PM   #27
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBACKCOUNTRY View Post
Great write up and helped me tremendously!!! Thanks for taking the time to post pics!!!
Anytime! Glad to hear that it helped
Old 02-09-2011, 10:30 AM   #29

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazze2005 View Post
I will be trying this tonight...Great write up Thanks!

Old 03-02-2011, 03:32 PM   #30
Hot Steppa
pinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pinktaco808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris(NJ) View Post
I removed my headlights today to start the BHLM (Blue headlight mod )

As most people probably know, there is a bolt that is a pain to remove. The first few are obvious to remove, but I didnt figure out the last one until I did a quick search on TW! Someone mentioned a 10mm and a half of a situp to get it out. Sure enough, thats an accurate description, lol. Anyway, I thought I'd put up a couple pics for those who might want to see the area before tackling the removal. I didnt see any pics posted, but then again, I didnt look very hard since the description I read was enough for me. Well, I hope this helps some people out.

Heres the first few things that need to be removed. Obviously, this is from the point of the grille being removed.

If you didnt know that these two screws are holding the headlight down, stop any further work on your truck

Theres also another one tucked down in the bottom. I pulled the bumper forward a little and its enough to get it out of there. Also, get that push pin out.

I now removed the lower trim piece under the headlight. The inner end of the piece should already be loose from undoing the push pin. Now just use a flat head screwdriver to depress the clip and pull the trim piece towards the center of the vehicle to remove it.

Now for the harder part. To make things really easy, just remove the two 10mm/phillips screws that hold the lower portion of the fender liner in place. I just bent the plastic liner up out of my way. Once I removed the headlight, I simply put this back in place. The two screws are at the bottom of the fender. Very easy to find. No pic necessary.

Grab your 1/4" drive and a 10mm socket. Although you wont be able to see the screw, its directly above the visible bolt that holds the panels in place. The socket is placed on the headlight screw in this picture.

For reference, another angle w/ the headlight out. Pretty sure this is the hole that it came from

And thats it! Remove the bulb/harnesses and just wiggle that headlight out. As others have said, its optional to put this back in place when you reinstall the headlight. The other screws are enough to hold it in place and not putting this back will only make future removals 5 or 10 minutes quicker.
im having a hard time pulling the light out after loosening all the screws???seem like the housing and the mounting point are too long for the small hole to fit through any tips???? it either hits the bumper from the last screw mounting point from the headlight or the housing hit the top of the frame... if that helps explain it.everything loose it just im having a hard time wiggle the piece out. should i pull out all the plugs first???
Old 03-02-2011, 08:19 PM   #31
Hot Steppa
pinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

i still have a hard time pulling the housing out after all 4 bolts are out and the trim piece. any help
Old 03-02-2011, 09:01 PM   #32
Hot Steppa

up
Old 03-02-2011, 09:37 PM   #33

Law Enforcement:
Sometimes you have to twist it a little bit too. The light is free floating at this point though, correct? Just takes a little finagling.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:44 PM   #34
Hot Steppa

yeah that what i did, but i dont wanna scratch or bend the bumper.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:01 PM   #35

Law Enforcement:
Just have to be careful. It'll come out!
Old 03-02-2011, 10:19 PM   #36
Hot Steppa

i was at it for 2 hour today trying to pull and twist it out. ill try again tomorrow pic to follow
Old 03-03-2011, 03:05 PM   #37
Hot Steppa

finally got them out. pic to follow
Old 03-05-2011, 04:37 PM   #38

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktaco808 View Post
i was at it for 2 hour today trying to pull and twist it out. ill try again tomorrow pic to follow
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktaco808 View Post
finally got them out. pic to follow
Howd it turn out?
Old 03-05-2011, 04:48 PM   #39
Hot Steppa

finally got it out chee huuuu
Old 03-17-2011, 07:17 PM   #40
pmo will become famous soon enoughpmo will become famous soon enough

pmo's Tacoma Gallery
Angry

soooooo...is it really worth all the effing around? Does it make your lights brighter? Don't think so...mho only