Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

New Fog Light mod

View Poll Results: Is this a Clean Looking Fog Light Mod?
Yes 12 85.71%
No 2 14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-29-2012, 12:45 AM   #1
1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of
Air Force:
1C271's Tacoma Gallery
New Fog Light mod

So I did the fog light mod so that they come on anytime with the ignition on, and stay on with high beams. Just wanted some opinions on how clean this looks. I don't think anyone has done it this way yet and I really wonder why??

Old 05-29-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
what did you do... I dont see it
Old 05-29-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of
Air Force:
1C271's Tacoma Gallery
And so the guessing begins ???? It is done and this is not a trick, want to get some feedback before I explain and post more pics. It uses the popular green ignition wire tied into terminal 1 of fog relay, but can you see any crazy spade terminal on a bent relay, or out of place wire running through it?
Old 05-29-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Looks bone stock, good work! Can't wait to see the 'trick' behind it.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:44 PM   #5
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I cant tell what you did so I guess that means it looks clean?
Old 05-29-2012, 03:52 PM   #6
rob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
rob1's Tacoma Gallery
Can you just tell us what you did already.................
Old 05-29-2012, 04:35 PM   #8
Air Force:
1C271's Tacoma Gallery
Splice it under the block, you can use original relay wire tied into the green ignition.

Don't have to cut green wire just remove a little insulation and twist wrap red wire with black stripe to it and solder. If you do this there are several red with black stripe wires under there but simply trace the one to the terminal 1 of fog relay.

I like to use a piece of vacuum tubing on exterior splices and then put some rtv in the ends to seal permanent.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:12 AM   #9
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
well, it looks nice, but for a fog light mod I'll stick with the easy way haha.

nice work though for sure
Old 05-30-2012, 02:03 PM   #10
Mechanically Goofy
neonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
neonlazer's Tacoma Gallery
Hm..might do this soon
Old 05-30-2012, 02:07 PM   #11
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery

Way easier
Old 05-30-2012, 02:08 PM   #12
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadderkdawg View Post

Way easier
x2

It really is a 5min mod.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:10 PM   #13
Mechanically Goofy
neonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
neonlazer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Way easier
Exactly my plan! Can you splice both wires together and it will work? And I bet the hardest part is popping the box out
Old 05-30-2012, 02:15 PM   #14
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Way easier
Screw that, I will never have one of those on my truck. It's a lazy man's splice and eventually water and dirt will work it's way into the connection and corrode the wire. Solder and heat shrink for the best, longest lasting results. If you want to avoid soldering you're better off cutting the wires and using one of those quick splice things that heat shrink when you're done.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:18 PM   #15
That one guy

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
I had quick splices in my Monte Carlo. My Dad and I added them for an after market alarm in 1993. Never had one issue with them.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:23 PM   #16
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
I had quick splices in my Monte Carlo. My Dad and I added them for an after market alarm in 1993. Never had one issue with them.
Just replaced all the wiring on my trailer because the previous owner used them to add marker lights. The wires were corroded to hell over a foot on either side of the vampire clip. I know a lot of people use them but I still think they are the wrong way to make a splice.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:28 PM   #17
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Screw that, I will never have one of those on my truck. It's a lazy man's splice and eventually water and dirt will work it's way into the connection and corrode the wire.
The quick splice goes in the fuse box. Are you also worried that all of your fuses and connections are going to corrode in your fuse box?
Old 05-30-2012, 02:38 PM   #18
Air Force:
1C271's Tacoma Gallery
How dare you post a pic of one of those things on my post!!! Ha ha

Sorry but I must have been absent the day they went over these solderless connectors in automotive school , Oh wait a minute ...... I do remember them talking about these! what was it....oh yeah, don't ever use them!!!!!

Learn to solder! Jesus it's not that hard.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:39 PM   #19
Air Force:
1C271's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xJuice View Post
The quick splice goes in the fuse box. Are you also worried that all of your fuses and connections are going to corrode in your fuse box?

YES! Absolutely...
Old 05-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #20

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xJuice View Post
I thought the splice was under the fuse panel, not inside the plastic box?

Regardless, I still believe there are better ways to connect 2 wires. Those are nice to have in a repair kit if you need one in a pinch but I wouldn't install one for a permenant application because they can damage the host wire.