Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

VHT nightshades ruined my day

Old 06-03-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
Rd515 is on a distinguished road

Name: Ricky
Rd515's Tacoma Gallery
VHT nightshades ruined my day

Decided to tint my tailights this weekend. Looked up the thread "how to tint your tailights the right way." Followed it to a T (except for using gasoline to clean the light)

After putting on the nightshade and cleat coats, I noticed a bunch of little cracks. They were extremely noticeable when lit up. I began wet sanding the paint and nightshade off, thinking that the nightshade didn't stick well (causing a cracked look...)

But I got the nightshade off, and all the cracks were still there. Tailights ruined.

Anyone had a similar problem. Calling the company tomorrow
Old 06-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #2

Rd515's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone*
Old 06-03-2012, 09:16 PM   #3
welcome to the incredibuild
Twistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Twistedfreedom's Tacoma Gallery
we need pictures
Old 06-03-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
TACOMABOSS's Tacoma Gallery
Yup. one of my friends did it to his third brake light and parking lights. got all cracked like what you said.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:18 PM   #5
Zimaura is on a distinguished road

Name: Nj
Zimaura's Tacoma Gallery
Damn that sux bro.
Dont know exactly how the procedure goes, but whats wrong with the regular old autozone spray on tints? (Lens tint i think they are called... iirc)
Got em on my tails...
No problem whatsoever.
No cracks no fading, and still looks clean.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #6
Zimaura is on a distinguished road

Name: Nj
Zimaura's Tacoma Gallery
Also cheap.
I think it cost me $5???
Cheapest and fastesy mod ive done. Lol
Old 06-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #7
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
You did it wrong.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:27 PM   #8
BaNgArAnG
06TACOFIREMAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TACOFIREMAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TACOFIREMAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TACOFIREMAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TACOFIREMAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TACOFIREMAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TACOFIREMAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TACOFIREMAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TACOFIREMAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TACOFIREMAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TACOFIREMAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Caleb
06TACOFIREMAN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
You did it wrong.
thats what i was about to say. that happened to me my first time trying my 3rd brake light. i didnt sand enough and coated it too thick. cracked like hell
Old 06-03-2012, 09:28 PM   #9
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Did you clean it with gas? Gasoline is a nasty solvent and eats most anything.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:28 PM   #10
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06TACOFIREMAN View Post
thats what i was about to say. that happened to me my first time trying my 3rd brake light. i didnt sand enough and coated it too thick. cracked like hell
Yup. Coat too thick.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:31 PM   #11
If it can't be overdone it's not worth doing
SMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
SMKYTXN's Tacoma Gallery
Too bad the lights are ruined. I'm guessing the gasoline on the plastic lens covers might have something to do with the cracks. From what I've seen gasoline will melt or damage certain plastics. Good luck finding a fix.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:34 PM   #12
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yup. Coat too thick.
^ yep...i've had the same thing happen useing too heavy of a coat of spray paint. Also, too much clear coat will do the same thing to the paint underneth...better off with a few light coats than one heavy one.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:36 PM   #13
Twistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'm guessing not enough wait time to let the VHT tack before adding another coat.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:38 PM   #14
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
^ yep...i've had the same thing happen useing too heavy of a coat of spray paint. Also, too much clear coat will do the same thing to the paint underneth...better off with a few light coats than one heavy one.
I've done a few pairs and learned that one...good thing I didn't care about scratches though lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistedfreedom View Post
I'm guessing not enough wait time to let the VHT tack before adding another coat.
That too.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:54 PM   #16

Rd515's Tacoma Gallery
I'll upload pictures tomorrow.
I did not use gasoline to clean the tailight. I did not put a thick coat on.

I think it was the wait time as mentioned above. I did 1 coat with VHT, them waited 20 mins and did 3 clear coats.

Nonetheless, how will this cause cracks in the plastic? I can understand the paint causing a cracked look. But cracking the actual plastic?
Old 06-03-2012, 11:57 PM   #17

Rd515's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody4343 View Post
I have a spare set of tail lights. Where in California are you?
I actually already bought another pair. Did the process a little differently, turned out A LOT better
Old 06-03-2012, 11:58 PM   #18

Rd515's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You did it wrong.
Extremely helpful.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:00 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rd515 View Post
I'll upload pictures tomorrow.
I did not use gasoline to clean the tailight. I did not put a thick coat on.

I think it was the wait time as mentioned above. I did 1 coat with VHT, them waited 20 mins and did 3 clear coats.

Nonetheless, how will this cause cracks in the plastic? I can understand the paint causing a cracked look. But cracking the actual plastic?
must have been some sort of chemical reaction causing the plastic to crack. what did you use to clean the tail lights off with?
Old 06-04-2012, 03:28 AM   #20
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
I can almost assure you you put too many coats on or applied it too thick. Also I would NEVER in a bazillion years use gasoline to clean ANYTHING. It's way too harsh for plastic. Next time just use rubbing alcohol.