1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

LED Bed Lighting Question

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by tomcat91783, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Jun 7, 2012 at 7:52 PM
    tomcat91783

tomcat91783 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner Short Bed
    Blacked-Out Headlights & Fog Lights, LED's on side markers, turn signals, and brake lights, Hyper White's on Head lights and Fog lights, Rollbak Tonneau Cover, Weathertech Window Guards-Hood Deflector, Running Boards, LED Bed Lights
    I need help; I want to install LED bed lights with the switch placed in one of the empty slots on the left hand side of the steering wheel. I already bought the LED strips and Rocker Switch, I just need to know where and how to connect it to from the trucks power source > switch > LED's. If anyone knows of a link or can help that would be greatly appreciated.

2. Jun 7, 2012 at 8:58 PM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    I would post the link, but I'm on my phone. Check my build for the link to how I did mine. Done exactly the way you want with a diagram that I drew out

3. Jun 8, 2012 at 12:17 AM
    tomcat91783

tomcat91783 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner Short Bed
    Blacked-Out Headlights & Fog Lights, LED's on side markers, turn signals, and brake lights, Hyper White's on Head lights and Fog lights, Rollbak Tonneau Cover, Weathertech Window Guards-Hood Deflector, Running Boards, LED Bed Lights
    Thanks alot Bro, this is what exactly I was looking for

4. Jun 8, 2012 at 12:31 AM
    Drunknsloth

Drunknsloth Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
    Check my signature

5. Jun 8, 2012 at 4:18 PM
    tomcat91783

tomcat91783 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner Short Bed
    I saw the diagram and BTW I'm completely new at electrical stuff; when you indicated that you grounded the LED strips onto the frame and Rocker Switch for illumination. What does that mean and what did you do?

6. Jun 9, 2012 at 12:10 AM
    Drunknsloth

Drunknsloth Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
    See Step 17 and 18 of my DIY. Grounding the lights to the chassis completes the electric circuit because the negative of your battery is also connected to the chassis so you don't have to run a wire all the way back up to the battery. This allows you to ground basically anywhere metal on the truck that is bolted to the chassis. If you have a lighted switch then you need to run a wire to a ground to complete the circuit for that little light. With a basic lighted switch you shouldn't need to run a separate power source to it. It just draws the current from the original power source you have running to it.

Products Discussed in

To Top