1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Switchback LED problem

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by tomcat91783, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Jun 8, 2012 at 4:25 PM
    tomcat91783

tomcat91783 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner Short Bed
    Blacked-Out Headlights & Fog Lights, LED's on side markers, turn signals, and brake lights, Hyper White's on Head lights and Fog lights, Rollbak Tonneau Cover, Weathertech Window Guards-Hood Deflector, Running Boards, LED Bed Lights
    Here's the scenario, I've changed my rear turn signals lights to LED's and attached 50W 6ohm load resistors to both sides; they work fine. Then I changed to switchback LED's to the front turn signals and applied the same load resistors, the result; my fuses blew out.

Can someone help?

2. Jun 8, 2012 at 5:07 PM
    csjumper2003

csjumper2003 Jumper's Leds Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2014 SSM Trd Off Road 4x4 Auto
    The led is wired wrong. Your sending a positive to a negative contact and blowing fuses. Happens with a lot of cheaper swutchbacks that I've seen.

3. Jun 8, 2012 at 9:02 PM
    RipVanDango

RipVanDango Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '92 / 2012 TX Pro
    Leer 100XL Canopy, Home Made LED Bar, Lightforce Blitz 4300k 35W HIDs, Supertones Hella Horns, LED Bed Light,
    If the LEDs are going in the DRL/blinker, you need a 3157 Base with CK wiring.

4. Jun 8, 2012 at 9:36 PM
    csjumper2003

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    It's not the bulb. His fits its the way that it is wired. There are cheaper leds that have the same base but when you pop them in they pop fuses. There are also ones like the ones I carry that look exactly the same but are wired different thus not popping fuses.

5. Jun 8, 2012 at 11:35 PM
    tomcat91783

tomcat91783 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner Short Bed
    Blacked-Out Headlights & Fog Lights, LED's on side markers, turn signals, and brake lights, Hyper White's on Head lights and Fog lights, Rollbak Tonneau Cover, Weathertech Window Guards-Hood Deflector, Running Boards, LED Bed Lights
    Thanks for the input, I'll try reversing the position of the bulbs and see if that fixes the problem.

6. Jun 13, 2012 at 6:38 PM
    RipVanDango

RipVanDango Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '92 / 2012 TX Pro
    Leer 100XL Canopy, Home Made LED Bar, Lightforce Blitz 4300k 35W HIDs, Supertones Hella Horns, LED Bed Light,
    Hence why I said, "Ck wiring"

7. Jun 14, 2012 at 5:50 PM
    tomcat91783

tomcat91783 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner Short Bed
    Here's an update; the switchbacks are online after reversing the polarity :p I have not installed the resistors yet but there is a new problem. DTRL illuminates yellow instead of white, but turn signals light up as yellow.

8. Jun 14, 2012 at 6:13 PM
    csjumper2003

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Pm sent

9. Jun 18, 2012 at 11:02 PM
    hoshish

hoshish Member

Member:
    First Name:
    robert
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    underconstruction
    OME Lift Kit, 18x9 BFD, 275/65r18 Goodyear Duratrac, TRD CAI, blackout badges, fog and side marker mod
    I have the same problem with tomcat..... I have 4 set of switchbacks and 2 sets light up white and blinks white, and the other 2 sets light up amber and blink amber. I have the resistors hooked up and tried reversing the bulbs but they dont light up at all.

10. Dec 28, 2012 at 6:38 PM
    JLC

JLC Member

Member:
    Wa
    Vehicle:
    4WD Double cab 2006 TRD Sport
    Can some post pictures of their mods?
    I purchased the bulb but wondering where to install the resistors.
    or is there a way to intall the switchbacks without resistors?
    My truck has only 2 wires going to the DTRL bulbs

11. Dec 29, 2012 at 9:01 AM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    You can install the switch backs to make sure they light up without the resistors.

RE: resistors.
    The resistors are used to solve a signal light flashing problem, called hyper flash. The resistor is connected between the positive lead to the signal light and ground. It will produce a fair amount of heat so clamping or taping it to the plastic of the light housing is not a good idea. Clamp it to metal is much better. It is creating the same amount of current draw as a regular filament bulb does.
    The flasher unit will flash rapidly if one of your filament bulbs is blown, because the current draw is much less than it should be. With LED lights,the current draw is typically 1/10th of a filament bulb, so the flasher unit will indicate you have a burnt out bulb.

A better method, but more technically challenging is to modify the sensing resistor in the flasher circuit. If you have a 2005-2011 truck, check out this thread.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...placement-stock-drl-flasher-no-resistors.html

RE: switchback problems:
    some folks are having problems with the switch backs because they are designed to take advantage of a hi, and low circuit of a 3157 bulb wiring.
    the normal bulb has two filaments in it, one that lights up 5x brighter than the other. The front DRL//signal light on the Tacoma only has two wires, a ground, and the wire to light up the high circuit. It is also a CK socket that is wired differently than the rear brakes/ signals that use the regular 3157/3156 socket.
    Some switchbacks are expecting the white LEDs to operate from the low circuit, and the amber LEDs to operate from the hi circuit. Since there is only one wire to your front signals, so only one part of the switch back works. That is one of the reasons some LED distributors let you know that they won't work on DRL sockets.

BruteTaco likes this.
  12. Dec 29, 2012 at 9:30 AM
    csjumper2003

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Mine work great. They are a clean white with amber turns. To get them work properly there is a some minor wiring that included in every set of leds ordered. The above is all right information. And couldnt agree more that is why I have my dtrl leds specially made.

13. Dec 29, 2012 at 9:34 AM
    mavrick0509

mavrick0509 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hallettsville, Tx
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport 4x4
    3" Suspension Lift, 285-75-17 Nitto, Painted Sport Wheels, Retro Projectors, Elusive Elements Grille, Flowmaster Muffler Swap
    This guy knows what hes doing. Gotten multiple LEDs including the switchbacks. Havent had a problem yet. His switchbacks do have very minor wiring to do but in the end it a great product.

14. Dec 30, 2012 at 6:26 PM
    JLC

JLC Member

Member:
    Wa
    Vehicle:
    4WD Double cab 2006 TRD Sport
    Thank you guys for responding. That makes sense.
    Can you put pictures of how your wires look?
    I purchased my LED bulbs from JDMTOY but there were no instructions on what to do or if I needed additional wiring.
    Any suggestion on where I should purchase the bulbs from?

15. Jun 20, 2013 at 7:59 PM
    HOOTERBIRD

HOOTERBIRD Yeah You Right !

Member:
    NOLA
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD Sport, 4X4
    I'm having the same problem as the quote. Please help about to pull my hair out

16. Jun 22, 2013 at 7:34 AM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    Can you provide the url link to the LED bulb you are using?

17. Jun 22, 2013 at 11:31 AM
    csjumper2003

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma_led likes this.
  18. Jun 22, 2013 at 3:01 PM
    HOOTERBIRD

Member:
    NOLA
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD Sport, 4X4
    Ok I think I have figured out my problem the CK sockets on my truck only have 2 wire leads power and ground. Top left side is hot and bottom left & right are ground. After testing my 3175 CK switchback LED lights with gator clips and a 9v battery I found that no matter the grounded side if one or the other power leads is energized then the LED lights up either Amber or White and if both LED power leads are energized at the same time then only amber lights up. I have tryed to reconfigure the leads on the LED lights to no avail, also I have reconfigured a standard set of 3157 LED switchbacks I bought by mistake and still no go. I am thinking that I need a separate hot to the DTRL sock (top right side) that will engage the right side of the socket only when the DTRLs or turn signals are in use, This will make the switchback feature work as the left side of the socket is the side energized when the flashers, DTRL and turn signals are in use. The problem is I’m not sure how or where to pull the new hot needed from. Has anyone completed this mod and if so how, please help!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  19. Jun 22, 2013 at 3:06 PM
    HOOTERBIRD

Member:
    NOLA
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD Sport, 4X4
  20. Jun 22, 2013 at 10:25 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    the challenge is separating the daytime light function from the signal function, when both are combined on the same wire. V-Leds makes a separate control box to run their DRL compatible switchbacks to do just that, such that when the DL output is cyling on/off the ambe rleds come on, and when the DRL has been on for more than 2 seconds then the white led output is on.

Products Discussed in

To Top