Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

DONE with HIDS!

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
MMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant future
EMS:
Name: Michael
MMazz365's Tacoma Gallery
DONE with HIDS!

Well after about a year and a half I starting getting lots of problems and the fixing began. Finally tonight, I gave up.. Stock head lights back in. Does anyone know just bulbs that are very good and bright like HIDS?
Old 06-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMazz365 View Post
Well after about a year and a half I starting getting lots of problems and the fixing began. Finally tonight, I gave up.. Stock head lights back in. Does anyone know just bulbs that are very good and bright like HIDS?
For off road or just driving lights .
Old 06-08-2012, 08:54 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
PNP HIDs are crap! Never will I put a set in my truck.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:57 PM   #4
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
My bad I see he says headlights . I think the stock headlights on a new Tacoma are GREAT . Especially for street use . Not sure why someone would even want to do hid street lights .
Old 06-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #5
koco is on a distinguished road

koco's Tacoma Gallery
Cheap hids are ok as long as you use a relay harness to power them directly from the battery, otherwise the ballasts burn out. Spend the $10 and get the harness. You can make one yourself, but you will wish you spent the $10 instead.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:02 PM   #6
Norton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 17D4B w/ assignments in AFCC, AFSC, AFMC, AFSPC, AFRC, USAWC, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, USAFA
Name: Steve
Norton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMazz365 View Post
Does anyone know just bulbs that are very good and bright like HIDS?
I ran PIAA Intense White bulbs for about 3 years, and was very happy with whiteness, brightness, and reliability. (They're available for $44/pr from Amazon.) Note that while the Intense Whites have a blue appearance when off, the light they throw is WHITE (not even the slightest hint of blue). When one burned out last month, I replaced both with a set of Osram Rallye 70/65W bulbs from Candlepower for about $40. So far, they seem like a nice upgrade.

I've also heard good things about Philips X-treme Power bulbs, which are available for $30/pr from Amazon, OSRAM Night-Breakers, available through Amazon for $34/pr, and Sylvania SilverStar zXe bulbs, available through Amazon for $60/pr.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:50 AM   #7
MMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant futureMMazz365 has a brilliant future
EMS:
Name: Michael
MMazz365's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton View Post
I ran PIAA Intense White bulbs for about 3 years, and was very happy with whiteness, brightness, and reliability. (They're available for $44/pr from Amazon.) Note that while the Intense Whites have a blue appearance when off, the light they throw is WHITE (not even the slightest hint of blue). When one burned out last month, I replaced both with a set of Osram Rallye 70/65W bulbs from Candlepower for about $40. So far, they seem like a nice upgrade.

I've also heard good things about Philips X-treme Power bulbs, which are available for $30/pr from Amazon, OSRAM Night-Breakers, available through Amazon for $34/pr, and Sylvania SilverStar zXe bulbs, available through Amazon for $60/pr.
Wow thanks for the info I'm definitely going to look into those
Old 06-09-2012, 10:52 AM   #8
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
I'll never use cheap HIDs again. I understand your frustration as cheap HIDs do suck... OEM quality or nothing for me.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #9
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by koco View Post
Cheap hids are ok as long as you use a relay harness to power them directly from the battery, otherwise the ballasts burn out. Spend the $10 and get the harness. You can make one yourself, but you will wish you spent the $10 instead.
No they still suck. The light output is trash.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #10
05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ken
05sctaco's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota also uses HIR bulbs but not sure what the status on manufacturing is. You can find HIR for the tacoma but from not ever having used them I do not how they compare to stock. The process adds on more layers of reflective coating on the bulb, providing 75% same brightness to HID bulbs. I have used Piaa extreme white bulbs, very very bright compared to stock, but did burn out a kinda fast in my opinion. HIR would be the way to go, like I said that's most likely what the new toyota bulbs are.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:06 AM   #11
05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
No they still suck. The light output is trash.
You really need a projector with HID's for the correct beam diffusion. Our stock head light spreads the light into to many directions and does not focus it to where the road is. I've installed a few cheap hid kits on no HID cars and by far the best is with a projector, look factory and very clean.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:06 AM   #12
stowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
stowayman's Tacoma Gallery
I'm running Sylvania Silver stars in the headlights and fog lights... pretty happy with em
Old 06-09-2012, 11:09 AM   #13
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05sctaco View Post
You really need a projector with HID's for the correct beam diffusion. Our stock head light spreads the light into to many directions and does not focus it to where the road is. I've installed a few cheap hid kits on no HID cars and by far the best is with a projector, look factory and very clean.
I know this.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:17 AM   #14
meeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

meeestirg's Tacoma Gallery
HID bulbs are only supposed to last about 1-2 years. the ballasts only about double that. they die quicker if you are constantly turning them on and off (flashing your lights at people who cut you off or are driving too slow in front of you) HID's should be allowed to fully warm up before you turn them off again.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:35 PM   #15
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yosh2000's Tacoma Gallery
ive had OEM PNP hids (D2S bulb w/ an H4 shield), retro'd TLs, the phillips xtreme vision, and NAPA bulbs....

best one yet...$7 bulbs from NAPA! no joke. they are 85w/100w bulbs. i purchased some H4 ceramic connectors, ran a relay and some 16 gauge wiring and let those things loose! amazing results, and very reliable. let me know if you want anymore info.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:38 PM   #16
The1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peps
The1youluv2hate's Tacoma Gallery
I use osram night brakers
Old 06-29-2012, 01:35 AM   #17
Got my fiance philips extreme 80+ way brighter than stock nissan bulbs. I'd run the 80/100w only with a relay. But i have pnp hid bixenons and they work pretty good. Very bright, had to install new bulbs and the new ones are way brighter then the old ones.

Products Discussed in this Thread