Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

General Cost of Converting Fog Lights To HID

Old 06-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #1
Logan22 is on a distinguished road
Name: Logan
Logan22's Tacoma Gallery
General Cost of Converting Fog Lights To HID

About how much would it cost to do a retrofit for HID fog lights? How hard is this to do yourself? What are some good brands to consider? I would appreciate it if anyone posted pictures of having just HID fogs. I have piaa extreme white plus for headlights that I just bought recently and this is why I'm just thinking about the fogs. Thanks
Old 06-09-2012, 09:47 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
DDM kit is like $40. If you can dodge a wrench you can install HIDs.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:53 PM   #3
^Son of a hamster, I smell of elderberries.
400lbGorilla is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: OS
Name: T-LAM
400lbGorilla's Tacoma Gallery
OP are you talking about putting in projectors in the fogs?
Old 06-09-2012, 10:40 PM   #4
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
If your talking about a "retrofit" then you mean converting them to projector then correct?? If so, look up member Jerez he recently did a true HID Retro in his fogs.

However, if by retro you really meant just replace halogen bulbs for hids and ballasts, then you can get these full hid kits for $40-50 and they are plug and play. Its a 15 minute install if DONT know what your doing and 5 minutes if you do. OK maybe a little longer to make it look pretty but u get the idea. If you know how to change a light bulb you can do it
Old 06-09-2012, 11:46 PM   #5
^Son of a hamster, I smell of elderberries.
400lbGorilla is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: OS
Name: T-LAM
400lbGorilla's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-jerez-30.html
Go to Post #584 to see the projector/retrofit style by jerez....it's pretty sweet.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:56 AM   #6
Banned
Hii will become famous soon enough
Hii's Tacoma Gallery
Projectors in your fogs are pointless. It completely eliminates the purpose of a fog light

Converting your stock fogs to HID is simple. Stay away from Xentec and onex or anything off eBay for that matter
Old 06-10-2012, 06:30 AM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hii View Post
Projectors in your fogs are pointless. It completely eliminates the purpose of a fog light

Converting your stock fogs to HID is simple. Stay away from Xentec and onex or anything off eBay for that matter
You obviously have no idea what you're talking about... I put projectors in my fogs and they are the best fog lights I've ever had. You have very bright, focused light, very low to the road and a crisp cutoff so you don't get any glare back in your eyes.

Here's a step by step on putting projectors in your fogs:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...-retrofit.html

Just throwing HID's into your stock fog lights results in a lot of glare and will make your fog lights pretty useless for foul weather.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:03 AM   #8
Banned
Hii's Tacoma Gallery
I've always ran HIDs in my fogs on both my trucks. 3k in my old truck. Worked amazing in the fog. Drove 200 miles in a huge storm with just my fog lights on and I could see everything perfectly fine with the stock housings
Old 06-10-2012, 04:18 PM   #9
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hii View Post
I've always ran HIDs in my fogs on both my trucks. 3k in my old truck. Worked amazing in the fog. Drove 200 miles in a huge storm with just my fog lights on and I could see everything perfectly fine with the stock housings
Did they have the metal shield under the bulb? Either way, I'd put money on my projectors being a hell of a lot more effective than a plug and play HID kit...
Old 06-10-2012, 04:39 PM   #10
Banned
Hii's Tacoma Gallery
H10 bulbs (fog lights) don't come with metal shields. The only bulbs that come with metal shields are H4, 9004/7 and H13
Old 06-10-2012, 04:58 PM   #11

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ which is why I got rid of HID fogs, its too blinding, illegal, lazy, and unfair to others on the road.
x2, which is exactly why plug and play HID kits aren't a good idea for fog lights if you actually want them to function as foul weather lights.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:45 AM   #12
Logan22 is on a distinguished road
Name: Logan
Logan22's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the responses and information, it was real helpful. I thought real hard about the HIDs but ended up going with some piaa extreme white plus fog lights to match my headlights.