1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Daytime Running Light Issue

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by mojo, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Dec 30, 2008 at 4:22 PM
    mojo

mojo [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Safety Harbor, FL
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner long bed
    nerf steps, hard bed cover.
    Just noticed on my 06 tacoma, about 33K, that there is an issue with the daytime running lights. Noted on both, the inner lens shows to be cracked and the area just infront of the bulb is scorched, causing the crack I guess. Seems to be too much heat in there. I have not called Toyota or seen the dealer yet. Anyone else have a similer problem or ideas?
    MOJO
    Clearwater, FL

2. Dec 31, 2008 at 1:13 PM
    mojo

mojo [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Safety Harbor, FL
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner long bed
    Quick update, stopped into the dealer, they had never seen this problem. In the picture you can see the cracked inner lens and the scorched area infront of the stock bulb. Both light same deal. The dealer said it was about $1k repair, lucky for me I'm within the 3yr 36K, no charge. Although if it was out of warranty, I wouold have gotten with Toyota.
    [​IMG]
    Anyone see this issue? Guess either too hot of a bulb or a weak lens.
    MOJO

3. Jan 8, 2009 at 8:16 PM
    mojo

mojo [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Safety Harbor, FL
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner long bed
    Follow up---dealer installed complete headlight assemblys at N/C. Still no answer as to why. Only problem was noted today, noticed a lot of noise driving down the road today. Pulled over and found the jokers did not secure the inner fender liner under the drivers side light. Tire rubbed a hole in it, going back to the dealer tomorrow for replacement. Now only due to looking at the fender well did I notice that I had a roofing nail tab stuck in one of my new Michelin Cross Terrains, my lucky day. Worse was that the nail was in the outer lug, you know the one they won't repair. Good news, I had gotten road hazard coverage. The new $170 tire will cost me $20.
    MOJO

4. Jan 8, 2009 at 8:20 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    damn...when it rains it pours i guess. good thing they covered ya on those headlights. definately not cheap at all from them

5. Jan 8, 2009 at 8:21 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    you have bad luck... but good luck.

6. Aug 27, 2010 at 1:59 PM
    mojo

mojo [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Safety Harbor, FL
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner long bed
    Well here I am at 56,000 miles (+23,000 miles) and 18 months later and having the same problem with the daylight running lights! They are OEM.
    Both lenses are damaged in front of the bulb. Never did get an answer from the last time as to why this occurred.
    Called Toyota and the local dealer. Heard from Toyota National Customer Experiernce Group today--some girl told me my truck was out of warranty and that was that. She never saw a picture of what I was talking about or anything. I told there this could be a serious electrical issue as this is the second time--she did not care.
    I stopped by the dealer and spoke with the guy there, without Toyota stepping up there only offer was to provide the labor. These guys are $287.00 each side!
    For some reason I have a third party extended warranty. If I can convience them it is an electrical issue and not just a faulty lens they will cover it.
    I am not done with Toyota about this by any means. Does anyone have thoughts as to why this problem would occur????? I will add the new example, lens not cracked yet like the first one.

Any help or thoughts greatly appreciated.

tacoma headlamp 8-2010.jpg

7. Aug 27, 2010 at 3:11 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    i would imagine it has to be too much heat coming from the bulbs...maybe too much wattage to be that close to the plastic? definitely call the toyota customer service and bitch that this is the 2nd time and there are others that have had this issue

8. Aug 27, 2010 at 10:03 PM
    wizo

wizo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Port St. John, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner 2.7L
    2.5" Walker Evans C/O's, All Pro UCA's,
  9. Aug 30, 2010 at 4:19 AM
    mojo

mojo [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Safety Harbor, FL
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner long bed
    Guys thanks for the comments and other posts.

It was stated in another thread that this does not happen to stock lights, well that is WRONG! It has happened to me twice now. Mine were OEM stock from new and the 2nd set dealer replaced under warranty.

Since the Toyota Customer Disservice Dept has given me the thumbs down due to now out of warranty (6000 miles over), I put in a call to Toyota Pres Mr. Lentz. I have a follow up call with his assistant today. There is some reason for this issue, it needs to be discovred and corrected at Toyota's expense. They want $287 each side for the assembly.

MOJO in FLA

IMG_9813.jpg

10. Sep 8, 2010 at 6:33 PM
    mojo

mojo [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Safety Harbor, FL
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner long bed
    Follow up to the DRL problem--

As I mentioned, after contacting Toyota USA HQ number and got a reply from Mr. Lentz's assitant (go right to the top for results). It has gone back and forth, they assume that I may have added HI lamps, but it is all stock! They say they really don't see this on the Tacoma but see it a lot on Highlander, but usually due to HI lamps.

Well they still don't know why I have had this issue twice but they will now take care of it the second time, even out of warranty.:) Pays to not take no for an answer. I told her I still want to know why this occurs, don't want to have it happen in another 23,000 miles and have the hastle again. If I find the answer I'll add it to the post.

MOJO in Florida

11. Sep 10, 2010 at 1:15 AM
    rossk35

rossk35 Do Work Son!

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport Supercharged
    TRD S/C/TRD Intake/TRD Boost Gauge/DT Headers/OEM TL/ZKW retro/Pioneer DVD w/Ipod/Magnaflow/20% Tint/BHLM/JL 10" sub, JL VR components, JL 450/4 amp/Helwig Sway bar/Viper 791/ 18" limited 4runner rims
    Looked at my truck today, and mine are starting to melt. Guess its time to add a switch to turn them off or I'll swap out the lens once it gets real bad with the extra set I have. I added them to the truck which have been installed for 2 years now.

12. Sep 29, 2012 at 1:17 PM
    mojo

mojo [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Safety Harbor, FL
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner long bed
    Well good news is I still have my 06 Taco, bad new it has been another 30,000 miles (now 86,000) and my stock (dealer replaced) daytime running light lenses are melting again. This is the third set. 33000, 560000 and now again at 86000. Can't wait for the go around with the dealer and Toyota about this. As I have mentioned I have gotten them to cover this DEFECT the last two time. Now they have two more lenses to replace. I've seen this has been a continuing issues even with much newer models. :mad:
    MOJO in FLA

13. Sep 30, 2012 at 12:59 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    I researched this awhile back but never came to a head on it. I installed myself some DTRL later on with the quick swap DTRL relay. My bulbs are single filament bulbs and IIRC only two wires going into the socket. Can you double check your bulbs and find out if they are double filament and if so, are both of them lighting at the same time? I have yet to have this issue and I live in one of the hottest places in the country. FWIW: I may move to CLW in a few years for my next transfer so maybe see ya around? :)

14. Sep 30, 2012 at 1:50 PM
    mojo

mojo [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Safety Harbor, FL
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner long bed
    The DRL are original equipment. Just got a good look and the bulbs have a double filament, right now neither is burnt out but now the DRL don't come on, however the turn signal works, did not see an issue with fuses. I'm sure I get the out of warranty BS, not for me, this is a manufacturer defect that is also a safety hazard, this will be on their dime for the third time. Be nice if there was an LED option to change ove to.

I have worked with a lot of CG guys transfering into this area, I do home inspections. The Clwr/St Pete base is not far away. Thanks for your service to our country. Your truck is really sharp. So how big of a tow rope do you have to pull that plane?
    MOJO FLA

DRL3.jpg
    DRL4.jpg

15. Sep 30, 2012 at 7:54 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    I'm pretty sure my setup is a single filament. I forget but I could double check. It makes me wonder if theres two different DTRL setups.

I was down there a few months ago, I'll be going back for school in a bit. Alot of our guys aim to live in Safety Harbor. Its nice but I hated driving on 19 while I was there... nothing but grandma's racing down the two lane. Courtney-Campbell is just as annoying.

As for a tow rope, well, you'll need something capable of pulling 155,000 pounds, its heavy :) We use towbars :D

16. Sep 30, 2012 at 8:11 PM
    skeeet

skeeet Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB TRD Sport
    from what I've read so far this has happened to many people with DTRL. An easy fix would be switching out to LED's since they burn cooler than the stock ones.

17. Oct 18, 2012 at 7:54 PM
    mojo

mojo [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Safety Harbor, FL
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner long bed
    Well here is the update- I started with Toyota Customer service not the dealer. I told them to look at thier records and see that I have have this truck in for the same issue two time before, don't even say out of warranty. Nice person, Rose, got back with me and approved the replacement. Dealer ordered both front light assemblies, had them in in two days, replaceed by the weekend, sweet! They did do some creative invoicing. I paid the dealer $410 and Toyota was reimbursing me for the $410, so I paid ZERO! They said there was a slight cahange just after the las tset was installed. Well if I have it for another 30,000 miles we'll see.

18. Oct 18, 2012 at 7:58 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    well glad they replaced it. Keep us updated :)

Products Discussed in

To Top