Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Fuse tap & in line fuse?

Old 06-12-2012, 06:29 AM   #1
DoubleTake is on a distinguished road
DoubleTake's Tacoma Gallery
Fuse tap & in line fuse?

I am putting some led lights on a headache rack. If I use a fuse tap and add a new fuse to the fuse box, would I need to add an in line fuse also? I am not sure if the power will be running through the fuse I add to the box or if there is a need for the in line fuse. Thanks
Old 06-12-2012, 06:31 AM   #2
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
If using a fuse tap that has a fuse, you don't need another fuse. If using a fuse tap that does not have a fuse, is just a piece of metal shaped like a fuse, you will need an inline fuse
Old 06-12-2012, 06:36 AM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLink View Post
If using a fuse tap that has a fuse, you don't need another fuse. If using a fuse tap that does not have a fuse, is just a piece of metal shaped like a fuse, you will need an inline fuse
Thanks, I got some extra fuses to add to the box, so I wouldn't need an in line fuse.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:39 AM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleTake View Post
Thanks, I got some extra fuses to add to the box, so I wouldn't need an in line fuse.
Just make sure you have the Add-a-Fuse installed the correct way. If you install it backwards, you'll pull power through the existing fuse, then through the new fuse (basically making the added fuse worthless and possibly pulling too much amperage through the initial fuse). Just be mindful when you install, they can be put in backwards.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:45 AM   #5
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
^ good point.. I hadn't thought of that
Old 06-12-2012, 06:50 AM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLink View Post
^ good point.. I hadn't thought of that
I hadn't either, ask me how I figured it out
Old 06-12-2012, 07:40 AM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Just make sure you have the Add-a-Fuse installed the correct way. If you install it backwards, you'll pull power through the existing fuse, then through the new fuse (basically making the added fuse worthless and possibly pulling too much amperage through the initial fuse). Just be mindful when you install, they can be put in backwards.
Ok, I have a fuse tap. I am putting a new fuse in an empty fuse unused location in the fuse box under the hood.

It sounds to me, in your post, that I would need two fuses? A little confused.

Also, how do I know the correct way to install it?