Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

ballist trouble

Old 06-13-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
whopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: wayne
whopper's Tacoma Gallery
ballist trouble

I keep burning out ballist anybody know what im doing wrong grounded good and useing 12 volt relays. different ones at different times
Old 06-14-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
Banned
Hii will become famous soon enough
Hii's Tacoma Gallery
Have a multimeter? Hot much power are you getting to the ballasts?

Sometime the power will be right under or around 12 volts (enough to power the igniter in the ballast) but the ballast doesn't have sufficient power to run so it'll fry the components inside
Old 06-14-2012, 10:45 AM   #3
Banned
Hii's Tacoma Gallery
Also - what brand ballasts are you using?
Onex or Xentec make better door stops than ballasts if you are using those ballasts
Old 06-14-2012, 02:29 PM   #4
koco is on a distinguished road

koco's Tacoma Gallery
The xentec ballasts can be made to work, but you have to use a relay harness to direct power from the battery to the ballasts. The harness is like $10, and well worth it.

If you power them from your headlight circuit, they starve for power and flicker and overheat.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:33 PM   #5
Banned
Hii's Tacoma Gallery
Ya Xentec kits are only $30
But you're gonna end up saving yourself money and trouble in the long run by just buying a better quality kit
Old 06-15-2012, 06:55 AM   #6
whopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhopper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

whopper's Tacoma Gallery
Ok sound good got to have 12 volts and use a relay thanks
Wayne
Old 06-15-2012, 06:56 AM   #7

whopper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hii View Post
Ya Xentec kits are only $30
But you're gonna end up saving yourself money and trouble in the long run by just buying a better quality kit
What is a good brand to use and where can I get them
Old 06-16-2012, 10:26 PM   #8
koco is on a distinguished road

koco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whopper View Post
All the kits less than $100 are cheap and have a high percentage of failure rates. That doesn't mean that you can't get a kit that will last for years.

Many folks claim to have good results with DDM kits, they are like $40 + $15 for a relay harness. Just google DDM hid and you will find it.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:17 AM   #9
Banned
Hii's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by koco View Post
All the kits less than $100 are cheap and have a high percentage of failure rates.....
Untrue

We retail our HID kits at $50. We have about 1 ballast out of 100 that fail
Old 06-19-2012, 06:58 PM   #10
Hub Master General
nj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kev
nj636's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whopper View Post
x2

looking for a good quality hid kit under $200 hi/lo doesn't matter

I had xentec on my s10 and girls
blazer. nothing but luck on my s10 but my girls truck arrived with a DOA ballast, then a bulb blew out 2 weeks later now it's been fine (knock on wood) better off with $40 silverstars IMO
Old 06-19-2012, 09:41 PM   #11
Banned
Hii's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj636 View Post
x2

looking for a good quality hid kit under $200 hi/lo doesn't matter

I had xentec on my s10 and girls
blazer. nothing but luck on my s10 but my girls truck arrived with a DOA ballast, then a bulb blew out 2 weeks later now it's been fine (knock on wood) better off with $40 silverstars IMO
Www.GG-Lighting.net
$50
Lifetime warranty