Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Running Multiple Off-Road Lights off the same relay

Old 06-20-2012, 11:12 PM   #1
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Running Multiple Off-Road Lights off the same relay

I have one set of KC's outfitted with 130 watt halogens running off of one relay, it's not wired to the headlight circuit at all, it's completely separate. My Question is, I have another set of lights that are going to be re-fitted with 130 watters and can i run all four off of the same relay (and therefore, the same switch)?

EDIT: I am thinking of running a new hot wire from the relay to the second set, I am not going to daisy-chain them.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:09 AM   #2
Banned
Hii will become famous soon enough
Hii's Tacoma Gallery
HIDs FTW
would only use 140watts for all 4 lights and be brighter

Pulling 520 watts on 1 switch and adding that all to your battery is a huge load.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:11 AM   #3
Banned
Hii will become famous soon enough
Hii's Tacoma Gallery
That's a little more than 43 amps... Hope you're planning on stepping up your alternator if you're going to be running (4) 130w lights
Old 06-21-2012, 12:39 AM   #4
welcome to the incredibuild
Twistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Twistedfreedom's Tacoma Gallery
I run 6 100w lights, use separate relays trust me unless you like electrical fires.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:08 AM   #5
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdronin View Post
I have one set of KC's outfitted with 130 watt halogens running off of one relay, it's not wired to the headlight circuit at all, it's completely separate. My Question is, I have another set of lights that are going to be re-fitted with 130 watters and can i run all four off of the same relay (and therefore, the same switch)?

EDIT: I am thinking of running a new hot wire from the relay to the second set, I am not going to daisy-chain them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hii View Post
That's a little more than 43 amps... Hope you're planning on stepping up your alternator if you're going to be running (4) 130w lights
I didnt do the math, but if this is true about that being 43 amps, then no, 1 relay is not enough. A standard 5 pin automotive relay is rated for 40 amps max. I just installed offroad lights (2 led and 2 hid) on another members truck, each light pulls less than 5 amps each and I still used 2 relays.

and what you said about daisy chain them... im a little confused by what your trying to say, but to clarify for you, you cant power both relays with 1 wire. You need 2 seperate power wires. Otherwise your wires will melt and ground out and fry your battery and lights, or just catch on fire.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:13 AM   #6
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
No, you can't run the new lights off the same relay.

You need a completely separate circuit for the new lights. Start with a fuse holder at the battery, run a new wire to a new relay, then wire your lights. Just like the existing set.

You can run more than one relay off of the same switch though. There isn't any load running through the switch. A relay's trigger coil isn't going to pull more than half an amp.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:16 AM   #7
Just think outside the Yota
CayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
CayucosTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I currently have 4 55w HID hella 500 and i used 2 relays. Each relay has its own ground, own draw from the battery and own leads to the lights. However you can run both trigger wires to the same switch. In your case i would use multiple relays
Old 06-21-2012, 06:24 AM   #8
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProForce View Post
I didnt do the math, but if this is true about that being 43 amps, then no, 1 relay is not enough. A standard 5 pin automotive relay is rated for 40 amps max. I just installed offroad lights (2 led and 2 hid) on another members truck, each light pulls less than 5 amps each and I still used 2 relays.

and what you said about daisy chain them... im a little confused by what your trying to say, but to clarify for you, you cant power both relays with 1 wire. You need 2 seperate power wires. Otherwise your wires will melt and ground out and fry your battery and lights, or just catch on fire.

I was referring to running the hot wires (load), all together to the relay.

Thanks everyone for the responses, i kinda thought there should be a second relay. Since their is no load to the switch I can split that wire to go to both relays then I would assume.
Hids would be nice, but not something I am getting into at the moment.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:33 AM   #9
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the responses, i kinda thought there should be a second relay. Since their is no load to the switch I can split that wire to go to both relays then I would assume.
You can use the switch as the trigger power for 2 relays. The load to the lights shouldn't be running through the switch, it should be fused power from the battery to the relay, then to the lights.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:34 AM   #10
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
You can use the switch as the trigger power for 2 relays. The load to the lights shouldn't be running through the switch, it should be fused power from the battery to the relay, then to the lights.
Yep, that's how the existing pair is wired up.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:38 AM   #11
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yep, that's how the existing pair is wired up.
You're good to go then, just add the second relay and give the guy in front of you a sunburn on the back of his neck
Old 06-21-2012, 08:06 PM   #12
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
You're good to go then, just add the second relay and give the guy in front of you a sunburn on the back of his neck
lol, actually i want to read the thoughts in their heads
Old 06-22-2012, 09:46 AM   #14

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellik01 View Post
How many lights can the battery and alternator power?
Quantity of lights has nothing to do with it, it's the number of amps that the system produces in excess of what's required to run the vehicle. That being said, I have no idea how much excess power the Tacoma produces.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:11 PM   #15
Banned
Thanks to everyone's input. I added the two extra' lights, now pushing four 130 watters off the same switch. I had the KC's rewired with 14 GA instead of 16 and I did the same to the new ones. I added a relay that has two hot blades for the lights and ran 14GA grounds as well. No wiring is hot and it's bright as hell.

Btw, all the wiring is now neatly zip-tied together

Old 06-24-2012, 10:20 PM   #16
CayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Thanks to everyone's input. I added the two extra' lights, now pushing four 130 watters off the same switch. I had the KC's rewired with 14 GA instead of 16 and I did the same to the new ones. I added a relay that has two hot blades for the lights and ran 14GA grounds as well. No wiring is hot and it's bright as hell.

Btw, all the wiring is now neatly zip-tied together

Looks good. Glad you went with 2 relays
Old 06-24-2012, 10:20 PM   #17
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by CayucosTacoma View Post
Looks good. Glad you went with 2 relays
Thanks! Me too
Old 06-24-2012, 10:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Thanks! Me too
how bright are they compared to headlights?
Old 06-24-2012, 10:26 PM   #19
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by CayucosTacoma View Post
how bright are they compared to headlights?
Stupid bright, i was facing a dark area and with the grillers on i turned on my brights, the only way i could tell my brights were on is that the brights had more lateral light than the grillers
Old 07-01-2012, 09:12 AM   #20
Banned
Spoke to the dealership yesterday and talked about the power for these lights, they said the stock alternator (with tow package), puts out 130 amps. he said I should upgrade that to handle the heavier load of the lights.