1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Retrofit confusion, need some advice

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by EODTech08, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Jun 25, 2012 at 10:15 PM
    EODTech08

EODTech08 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    '11 Access Cab TRD Off-Road
    FX-R Retrofits, Hood Struts, aFe CAI, Wet Okoles, Pioneer AVH-P8400BH Head Unit,
    So I'm a total newb to HID and Retrofit stuff. I've read a ton of threads concerning this so far and am still a little confused. So I'm looking for some advice.

So far from what I've read for Retrofit is that the BI-XENON MORIMOTO MINI STAGE III KIT (H1) is the best choice. Is this correct?

Going off of TRS website there are a lot of different options for this kit. So I'll ask some of my questions based off of the list.

Adapter Plate: First off, what is it? I haven't seen it mentioned in any of the threads I've read so far, maybe I missed it. Which one would be a good choice?

Ballast: There's only one choice on ballasts for this kit so I guess I'll leave this alone.

Bulb: I want to go with 5000k for the color but which one do you recommend? The Morimoto OR the XB35?

Halo: What is it? Should I get it?

I understand the shroud, that's pretty simple as it seems it's just a cosmetic choice.

Harness: For this kit I just need the H4/9003 one correct?

I'm going for this cosmetic look
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/207963-its-time-knine00-2012-build.html

But I also want reliability so I don't have to change bulbs all the time.

Am I on the right track? Do you guys have any recommendations? Are there any write up threads that you know of that may answer my questions?

Thanks for any advice and I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I've searched and read like 20 different threads and am still confused for some reason.

2. Jun 25, 2012 at 10:31 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Southern California (San Diego County)
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner TRD Sport L/B Grey Metallic
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
    hey jacob,

Harness: 9003/H4 harness

Ballast: 3(five) will suffice.. however if you want to squeeze out a bit more juice, 5(five)

Halo: It's also called Angel Eyes... its the round light you normally would see on a BMW.

Mini H1s are a good set of projectors. Requires minimal work and quite simple to install. Other bigger projectors will require more work to retrofit.

As far as being on the right track to upgrade your lights, you are on the right track. Having a properly retrofitted projector will allow you to put brighter bulbs without blinding others with a regular drop-in HID kit. I recommend not going any higher than 5000k bulbs.. the higher you go, the bluer it will get and isn't friendly for your eyes. Also, it doesn't get brighter.....

-AnT

3. Jun 26, 2012 at 2:45 AM
    EODTech08

EODTech08 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    '11 Access Cab TRD Off-Road
    FX-R Retrofits, Hood Struts, aFe CAI, Wet Okoles, Pioneer AVH-P8400BH Head Unit,
    I think I'm just gonna have you do mine. Better safe than sorry haha. PM sent.

Products Discussed in

To Top