Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Want to run a wire from the battery to the cabin to the tail lights.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:15 PM   #1
Alex17 is on a distinguished road

Name: Alex
Alex17's Tacoma Gallery
Question Want to run a wire from the battery to the cabin to the tail lights.

Hi, I'm really new to this site, Just got my first car, 2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4cyl. So I would like to run some LEDs to my tail lights but I'm not really sure how to do that. Where would the wire run? What is the best way to keep the wire connected to the car, so that it wouldn't hang loosely. I'm sort of lost...

Also I'm running a wire for an LED strip for the front bumper and I've got that under control but which wire controls the lights which you turn on when it gets dark? I'm lost and naive.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #2
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
First of all, welcome to Tacomaworld! What LEDs are you wanting to run to your tail lights? Depending on what you are wanting, you may be able to tap in at the back, so you won't need to run a wire the entire length of the truck.
The LED strip for the front bumper - Are you looking for what wire goes to your parking lights?
Old 06-26-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
X2^ need to more know info on what you are trying to accomplish.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:02 PM   #5

Alex17's Tacoma Gallery
I'm thinking about the led strips from here
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ier=60068_0_0_
But in the color blue.
As to the front LEDs I'm thinking of LEDs connecting to probably the turning signals maybe just the regular nighttime lights. (same lights as the back) possibly a bit larger...
Old 06-27-2012, 05:30 AM   #6
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The rear tail lights you can connect directly to the park lamp circuit in the back of the truck. There is no need to run a wire all the way back when you already have one. I would suggest you purchase a repair manual like Haynes, which can be bought at most any automotive parts place. You can usually find the wiring schematics there. If your truck has a tow package, or trailer lights installed, you could adapt the rear lights to plug in to the trailer light plug as I have done in the past.

As for the front lights, you will find the same thing. You can connect it into the harness for your parking lamps in the front. It has been a couple of years since I lived in Florida, but you need to check local and state laws regarding external lights. Some states do not allow certain color lights to be visible externally. Florida I believe does not allow red lights visible from the front, nor a flashing blue. So if you were to use a blue light in the front, it would have to be connected to the park circuit, not the turn signals.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:47 AM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I would highly suggest you invest in a test light to help you with wiring your truck.

Most LED's are low draw and, as Bamatoy said, can be piggy backed on an existing circuit rather than running new wires.

Also, forward or rear facing blue lights seems like a good way to get pulled over in most states. Just my $0.02 but you might want to rethink the blue LEDs.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:07 AM   #8

Alex17's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks so much for the heads up on the State statutes for lighting, I would have never thought about that until the red and blue are already talking to me. So maybe I should put off this project and just look into possible wheel well glow or internal accent lighting...

However, for future reference what are "parking lights" I mean in what situation do I use them, are they just the lights I use for night driving or are they something else. Thanks so much for the help this forum is so supportive!
Old 06-27-2012, 06:10 AM   #9
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex17 View Post
Thanks so much for the heads up on the State statutes for lighting, I would have never thought about that until the red and blue are already talking to me. So maybe I should put off this project and just look into possible wheel well glow or internal accent lighting...

However, for future reference what are "parking lights" I mean in what situation do I use them, are they just the lights I use for night driving or are they something else. Thanks so much for the help this forum is so supportive!
Parking lights or marker lights are the outter most lights when looking at the front of your truck. They're meant for when you are parked, don't need the headlights (because you shouldn't be moving) but still want people to see you. Say if you're pulled over on the side of a dark road. When you turn your headlights on, there are 3 settings, off, parking lights on, and headlights on.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:35 AM   #10
ASE Master Tech

Here is a simple bit of info to know which lights are park lights. At night, turn your headlights on. See all the lights that are on EXCEPT for the headlights? Those are your park lights.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:47 AM   #11

Alex17's Tacoma Gallery
Oh alright thanks that makes so much sense. You guys are so helpful. Rep+
Old 06-28-2012, 10:26 AM   #12
Rellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant future
Law Enforcement: Police Officer (retired NYPD)
Name: Craig
Rellik01's Tacoma Gallery
If you have the towing package you can also grab a wire from that. Good luck
Old 06-30-2012, 10:09 PM   #13
GrM25 is on a distinguished road

Name: Grant
GrM25's Tacoma Gallery
I actually just finished installing bed lights. For power, I just tapped into the drivers side tail light wires, from there I cut the GREEN wire (parking/tail light) then stripped them with wire cutters. I then added the bed light switch wire to the green wire. so there was a 3-way connection of wires. Lastly tape/zip tie it all back up. It works great! both the tail lights and bed lights are both fully functional. Good luck!