1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Want to run a wire from the battery to the cabin to the tail lights.

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Alex17, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Jun 26, 2012 at 2:15 PM
    Alex17

Alex17 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Base 4cyl
    Default but would like to mod it
    Hi, I'm really new to this site, Just got my first car, 2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4cyl. So I would like to run some LEDs to my tail lights but I'm not really sure how to do that. Where would the wire run? What is the best way to keep the wire connected to the car, so that it wouldn't hang loosely. I'm sort of lost...

Also I'm running a wire for an LED strip for the front bumper and I've got that under control but which wire controls the lights which you turn on when it gets dark? I'm lost and naive.

2. Jun 26, 2012 at 2:33 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    First of all, welcome to Tacomaworld! What LEDs are you wanting to run to your tail lights? Depending on what you are wanting, you may be able to tap in at the back, so you won't need to run a wire the entire length of the truck.
    The LED strip for the front bumper - Are you looking for what wire goes to your parking lights?

3. Jun 26, 2012 at 2:36 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    X2^ need to more know info on what you are trying to accomplish.

4. Jun 26, 2012 at 2:46 PM
    mynewtoy

mynewtoy I like men

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    09 double cab 4x4
    Detriot locker rear ARB air locker front 4.56 gears OME 3" lift, SPC uca's , moto metal 951 wheels 315/75/r16 Treadwright guard dogs, homemade front plate bumper with smittybilt 9.5k winch, homemade skids, homemade Bed bars, Mobtown offroad high clearance rear bumper with tire carrier, Homemade rock sliders , U-bolt flip, Wheeler's super bumps, BORA 1" wheel spacers , Black headlight mod , black tail lights, Satoshi Grill , autoPage C3 RS-665 alarm with remote start, flowmaster 40 series exhaust, cruise control,bed/ground effect lights, wet okole seat covers, tinted,windows, weather tech floor mats, AVS vent shades, debadged, hidden cobra 19 cb, 7" offroad lights behind grill, rear diff breather relocate, abs kill switch
    the only advice i can offer without more info is zip ties are the best way to keep the wires from hanging loosely

5. Jun 26, 2012 at 4:02 PM
    Alex17

Alex17 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Base 4cyl
  6. Jun 27, 2012 at 5:30 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    The rear tail lights you can connect directly to the park lamp circuit in the back of the truck. There is no need to run a wire all the way back when you already have one. I would suggest you purchase a repair manual like Haynes, which can be bought at most any automotive parts place. You can usually find the wiring schematics there. If your truck has a tow package, or trailer lights installed, you could adapt the rear lights to plug in to the trailer light plug as I have done in the past.

As for the front lights, you will find the same thing. You can connect it into the harness for your parking lamps in the front. It has been a couple of years since I lived in Florida, but you need to check local and state laws regarding external lights. Some states do not allow certain color lights to be visible externally. Florida I believe does not allow red lights visible from the front, nor a flashing blue. So if you were to use a blue light in the front, it would have to be connected to the park circuit, not the turn signals.

7. Jun 27, 2012 at 5:47 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I would highly suggest you invest in a test light to help you with wiring your truck.

Most LED's are low draw and, as Bamatoy said, can be piggy backed on an existing circuit rather than running new wires.

Also, forward or rear facing blue lights seems like a good way to get pulled over in most states. Just my $0.02 but you might want to rethink the blue LEDs.

8. Jun 27, 2012 at 6:07 AM
    Alex17

Alex17 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Base 4cyl
    Thanks so much for the heads up on the State statutes for lighting, I would have never thought about that until the red and blue are already talking to me. So maybe I should put off this project and just look into possible wheel well glow or internal accent lighting...

However, for future reference what are "parking lights" I mean in what situation do I use them, are they just the lights I use for night driving or are they something else. Thanks so much for the help this forum is so supportive!

9. Jun 27, 2012 at 6:10 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Parking lights or marker lights are the outter most lights when looking at the front of your truck. They're meant for when you are parked, don't need the headlights (because you shouldn't be moving) but still want people to see you. Say if you're pulled over on the side of a dark road. When you turn your headlights on, there are 3 settings, off, parking lights on, and headlights on.

10. Jun 27, 2012 at 9:35 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    Here is a simple bit of info to know which lights are park lights. At night, turn your headlights on. See all the lights that are on EXCEPT for the headlights? Those are your park lights.

11. Jun 28, 2012 at 6:47 AM
    Alex17

Alex17 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Base 4cyl
    Oh alright thanks that makes so much sense. You guys are so helpful. Rep+

12. Jun 28, 2012 at 10:26 AM
    Rellik01

Rellik01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Windermere, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 White
    Bull Guard powder coated white, chrome aftermarket tail lights,Led interior lights, Factory roof rack, Bug deflector, Factory tow package, Garmin GPS, Viper 5901 alarm with auto start, Weather tech window wind deflectors, , 3" Tube steps powder coated white, CB Radio, Radio Scanner.
    If you have the towing package you can also grab a wire from that. Good luck

13. Jun 30, 2012 at 10:09 PM
    GrM25

GrM25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR 5spd 4x4
    I actually just finished installing bed lights. For power, I just tapped into the drivers side tail light wires, from there I cut the GREEN wire (parking/tail light) then stripped them with wire cutters. I then added the bed light switch wire to the green wire. so there was a 3-way connection of wires. Lastly tape/zip tie it all back up. It works great! both the tail lights and bed lights are both fully functional. Good luck!

Products Discussed in

To Top