Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Tinted Tail Lights with Plasti-Dip

Old 06-28-2012, 06:16 PM   #1
White and Nerdy
theTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jacob
theTupper's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to theTupper Send a message via Skype™ to theTupper
Tinted Tail Lights with Plasti-Dip

When I had my Mustang I had tinted tail lights. It is both easy and cheap with the 2005+ Mustangs because the lenses are completely flat. That renders the task as simple as using a quality tint film. When I started looking at the options to tint the lights on the Tacoma, I didn't want the hassle of the compound curves on the lights and I wasn't about to drop 80$ on the AVS covers. I considered using VHT Niteshades, but I wanted to go dark and still be able to reverse it if I had trouble with the local LEOs. I never did with the car, but one never knows.

So what is dark, reversible and easy?

Enter Plasti-Dip!

Basically, I coated the taillights with 3 coats of black Dip and then used three coats of the PD Glossifier as I didn't want them matte, but shiny. Turned out better than I hoped for. Light transmission is really good, too; even in the daytime.

Forgive the crappy cellphone pics.

Tail Light

third brake light

headlight on

blinkers (hazards)

brakes on

Just sharing for anyone else who may be interested. I'm well aware of the other options to achieve this outcome but this is what I went with. Thanks y'all!
Old 06-28-2012, 06:21 PM   #3
dpalmer619 is a splendid one to beholddpalmer619 is a splendid one to beholddpalmer619 is a splendid one to beholddpalmer619 is a splendid one to beholddpalmer619 is a splendid one to beholddpalmer619 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Derek
dpalmer619's Tacoma Gallery
i cant believe you can actually see light threw them!
Old 06-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #4
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
TACOMABOSS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalmer619 View Post
i cant believe you can actually see light threw them!
X2
Old 06-28-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting. I'm surprised the light comes through that well also. Not sure I like how dark they look, but props for trying something that's different.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:30 PM   #7
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
they now have transparent plasti dip that is used for these things
Old 06-28-2012, 06:37 PM   #8
White and Nerdy
theTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jacob
theTupper's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to theTupper Send a message via Skype™ to theTupper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaholandho View Post
I see how they work but....Not a fan of limiting others from seeing me when I am driving. I feel this is a saftey issue OP bigtime. Someone rearends you....good luck proving no liability. Sorry OP

EDIT - It sure looks bright though through that derp!
I agree with you. One of the reasons I went with the dip...easy to reverse. I can assure you that if it were not bright enough for me to consider safe, it wouldn't still be on the truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
they now have transparent plasti dip that is used for these things
They do have a "smoke" plastidip but I didn't like the way it tinted.

Quote:
wut? like clear derp? Or dark derp that is clear derp or clearderpdarkderpaderp?
See above.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:39 PM   #9
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Quote:
wut? like clear derp? Or dark derp that is clear derp or clearderpdarkderpaderp?
I see what you did there....
Old 06-28-2012, 06:40 PM   #10
Banned
4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
4x4jeep's Tacoma Gallery
Hey if you get rear ended just run out of the truck and peel off the plasti derp before insurance gets involved
Old 06-28-2012, 06:40 PM   #11
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
I am tempted to try this actually, but I don't have LED tails like you so I don't know how bright it would turn out when I hit the brakes.

Maybe I'll give it a shot anyway, I have three cans of derp sitting in my shed.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:47 PM   #13
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
Now I've seen it all with the derp. lol
Old 06-30-2012, 04:40 PM   #15
Schwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jamie
Schwinn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
post results! I want to see how well this works with not leds
That was my first thought, too. Is it because they are LEDs that they come through so well. Also, is that with the brakes applied, or just with the lights on? How well are you seen driving down the highway, or in the fog when some moron decides they should do 10 over the speed limit when you can't see more than 40 feet?
Old 07-28-2012, 03:40 PM   #16
Über Posre
Slodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Silas
Slodgetto's Tacoma Gallery
I've seen it all
Old 08-13-2012, 09:28 AM   #17
nickbean is on a distinguished road

nickbean's Tacoma Gallery
Thought what the hell and tried it on my tails yesterday. I have a 2010 with the LED's and it turned out like CRAP!!! Could barely see any light through it at all and thats only with 2 coats and it looked very splotchy. Glad it worked for this guy but not so well for me. If you want to commit a robbery or any other crime then spray this stuff on. No one will be able to follow you.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:19 AM   #18
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) veteran.
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
hahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahaa

How has this thread not blown up yet????!?!?!