Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

LED bed lights off of Tail lights?

Old 07-01-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
Chris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
Chris24's Tacoma Gallery
LED bed lights off of Tail lights?

Hey guys I had a camper shell on my truck that I took off and now I have the loose connector hanging in my bed from the shell lights. My question is, can I tie some LED bed lights into that connector and be alright running from the tail light wires? The lights I am looking at are 12V led strips, and it is a roll that is 15 feet long that I can cut to put them where I want them. Power usage for the full 15 feet is listed as 4W.

These are the LEDs
http://www.ebay.com/itm/300678239286?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1497.l2649
Old 07-01-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
You would need to splice a switch to turn the lights on/off when the headlights come on. You would also need to run your head/tail lights when you wanted them on, IIRC I think when the truck is off and the drive door is open the headlights turn off even when they are in the "on" position on the stalk. You are better off running a fused hot from the battery with a switch.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:11 AM   #3
Chris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
Chris24's Tacoma Gallery
Im aware of needing a switch and the operation of the headlights since there was a camper shell on my bed before with an interior light wired through the tails. Basically wondering if the stock wires/fuse will handle the additional current of the led strip
Old 07-06-2012, 10:58 PM   #4
PhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: US Army Corps of Engineers - NADENMG
Name: Ron
PhantomVirus's Tacoma Gallery
The current draw would be 0.333 amps for the entire 15' strip

Watts = Volts X Amps
4= 12 x A
A=0.333

Not an expert but you SHOULD be OK.