1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Product Review: gtlightingusa 7" HID Offroad lights

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by bulhas, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Jul 3, 2012 at 4:05 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Not having an avid light bar to mount your lights with a crooked reflector lens?

Also I should have mentioned in my previous post the reasoning I went slightly OT with discussing the LEDs is because it's the same company, maybe down the line they might beef up their HIDs with a housing/mounting more like the LEDs.

2. Jul 3, 2012 at 4:14 PM
    bulhas

bulhas [OP] the habs fan

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    1997 Rexus
    LS Swap 500 hp......

my only real huge complaint is the plastic housing, sure it might not take as much cosmetic damage but a few rocks and shell be bouncing off the trail

3. Jul 3, 2012 at 4:18 PM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    I can imagine with that size all metal would be really heavy. Hmm...interesting conundrum. Welp, all I can say is based on your review I'm even more happy I got the LEDs instead of the HIDs.

4. Jul 3, 2012 at 7:13 PM
    gtlightingusa

gtlightingusa Well-Known Member

Member:
    ( And being overcharged on shipping, when I am charged 1XX.XX and the shipping sticker only says 4X.XX, it does raise some flags)

Hi bulhas, why you never bring this to me? I never recived any pm or email regarding for overcharged on shipping,the web shipping system is build by usps authorized desinger .let me check on that tonight,If the web shipping system went wrong and charged you double, I will refund it to you. please understand i am not try to ripping you off on shipping.:)

5. Jul 3, 2012 at 7:24 PM
    bulhas

bulhas [OP] the habs fan

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    1997 Rexus
    LS Swap 500 hp......
    hey dude not you fault, i jsut looked as well, what i printed for shipping and was charged are not the same, it looks as if i wAs charged around 76 in shipping, just compared to my amex, which i should have done before, but all i had was my printed receipt from before

i honestly dont care about that cost, just more an fyi for both sides,

i have an great review coming though for this led bar

6. Jul 3, 2012 at 7:40 PM
    gtlightingusa

Member:

7. Jul 3, 2012 at 8:09 PM
    bulhas

bulhas [OP] the habs fan

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    1997 Rexus
    LS Swap 500 hp......
    yah some times you need someone to tear it apart ;)

8. Jul 3, 2012 at 9:00 PM
    tango down

tango down Policy Ninja

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    peoples republik of IL
    Vehicle:
    12 Taco DCSB TRD Off Road
    LED interior, rail mounted ammo cans
    Were all the lights in the group buys done by GT not Kragen's? How can I tell if mine are legit or not?

9. Jul 3, 2012 at 9:58 PM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Their Kragens without the kragen brand on them. Like how Costco will buy out Brandname items and slap Kirkland brand on it instead. Same deal. You're getting brand name items at no name cost.

Additionally with the shipping if you just did it through the site it will double charge you for shipping. I shot Nathan an Email asking to combine them. He said sure. The amount I paid is the same as what was on the box. :p

Silly Edmontonians.

10. Jul 3, 2012 at 10:01 PM
    gtlightingusa

Member:
    Yes, sorry about that. The website shipping system has some issiue last month,but we fixed that already . all good now.

11. Jul 3, 2012 at 10:15 PM
    Hii

Hii Well-Known Member

Member:
    "Kragen HID" is just a term for the style. If you want true Kragen HIDs - go to Kragen an buy them for $140/ pc
    If you're not buying them directly from Kragen then they're not a Kragen brand HID

Many manufacturing facilities in China make this style HID. The internals are much much different with every company

12. Jul 4, 2012 at 6:07 AM
    tango down

tango down Policy Ninja

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    peoples republik of IL
    Vehicle:
    12 Taco DCSB TRD Off Road
    LED interior, rail mounted ammo cans
    a-ha, i understand now. thanks gang.

13. Oct 2, 2012 at 10:20 AM
    silver taco

silver taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    07 4X access cab
    Icon 2.5 ext travel, Camburg 1.25" uca's, All-pro leafs, Icon 2.5" rear shocks, LR jounce front and back, breather mod, KR Fab rear bumper, Kenwood 2m radio, All-Pro sliders, Front bumper by Surfinferno (Dylan), Glassworks fenders, 4:56 gears, gusseted spindles and coil buckets
  14. Oct 5, 2012 at 8:02 PM
    Greenbean

Greenbean B.S. Goodwrench

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC 2.7L 5-spd 4x4 Utility Package
  15. Oct 5, 2012 at 9:46 PM
    bulhas

bulhas [OP] the habs fan

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    1997 Rexus
    LS Swap 500 hp......
    why are you guys subbing an old thread .... that clearly showed what the product is, lol whats the point of sub'd on something that is no longer in discussion

16. Jul 5, 2013 at 12:57 PM
    jeverich

jeverich Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    PNW/Kodiak
    Vehicle:
    07 2.7 4x4
    OME 886/Old Man Doug Suspension Lift, ARB Bumper, Bruteforce High Clearance w/Swing Out, De-badge, Block Heater, Homemade IFS Skid, 7" Kragens, Blue Seas Fuse Block, BlitzPro Fogs, 12k BadLands Winch, BAMF Sliders, ARB Locker, 4.88s Yaesu FT-1900R, Larsen 150B NMO Mount Antenna
    Just an update;

Been waiting for the past 3 + months for a replacement ballast from GtLightingUSA..

First contacted him on 4-09-2013, when one of the ballasts in my 7" HID lights went out on me. He was fairly prompt with a reply, in which he asked for me to send in the bad ballast, and he'd determine whether or not it could be replaced or repaired.

(Repaired?, really?) - It's an epoxy-potted PCB. Come on...

"Gilbert,

I purchased a set of 7" 55 Watt HID off road lights through one of your Group Buys last summer.

The ballast in one of the lights has stopped functioning.. I didn't know if you could provide me with a replacement ballast under warranty?

Regards,

Jake"

His Response..

"please ship the item back to 1540 e university dr,suite 300 mesa az 85203
    if we cant repair we will sent you the new ballast"

Said he's out of the county, that was 2 months ago.

Still says he's out of the country.. Said he'd get back to me as soon as he got back.

I call BS.

Kind of sucks, because I'd been pretty pleased with the lights up until that failure. Yes, ballasts do go bad. Yes, those odds of a component failure skyrocket when dealing with a generic mass-produced product.

Yes, I suppose that limited/non-existent warranty service is somewhat of an excepted risk when purchasing from an online vendor selling generic products.

His eBay store has them listed for about $40 cheaper than the GB prices. Kinda shoddy.

I'm giving up at this point, especially since I'm headed out to Eastern Oregon next week - and really need a PAIR of working driving lights.

Contemplating going with some Lightforces.

End Rant.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top