Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Yet another "what beam patterns should I get" thread

Old 07-05-2012, 06:39 AM   #1
minameismud has a spectacular aura aboutminameismud has a spectacular aura about
minameismud's Tacoma Gallery
Yet another "what beam patterns should I get" thread

I'll be getting an NFab light bar in the near future (4 light tabs). I've seen where most guys get two different beam patterns when they've got more than two lights, but there are others suggesting four of the same pattern.

I don't do much (ok, any) offroading. Not much I can do with 4x2 and no rear locker, nor are there many places that I know of in NE FL anyway. The primary use for these lights would be o'dark-thirty-empty-interstate wildlife spotters. I've had a couple closer-than-I'd-like calls with deer, dogs, armadillo, and a few two-legged critters recently. In addition to wildlife, there's the awesome amount of rain we can get at times, and my headlights don't do sh!t for cutting through to see what's ahead of me.

Yes, "off road use only" and all that. Fine. Turn off lights for approaching vehicles, don't blind folks who just passed me, etc.

So:
1. driving - pencil - pencil - driving
2. fog - driving -driving - fog
3. fog - pencil - pencil - fog
4. 4x driving

Thoughts?
Old 07-05-2012, 08:38 AM   #2
Banned
Hii will become famous soon enough
Hii's Tacoma Gallery
Flood - spot - spot - flood
Old 07-05-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Remember this rule of thumb... doubling lumen output, all else being equal, results in a range increase of 50%. If 1 light is 100 yards, 2 lights will give 150 yards, and 4 lights will give you 225 yards.

When you look at company specs for lux at distance remember this... 1 lux you clearly see shapes. 10 lux you clearly see detail.

That will help in your decisions greatly. Ignore any .5 lux distances.