Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

HID fog lamp ballast locations?

Old 07-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
HID fog lamp ballast locations?

So, I'm getting ready to install HID's in my fog lamps. Not sure where to mount the ballasts though. Where is everyone mounting the ballast? I thought about double sided tape to the back of the bumper cover but don't trust it to hold them up. Any pictures or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
Superior Member
707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
707tothe907's Tacoma Gallery
When I had my stock bumper I mounted them with zip ties to the vent looking things in the fender liner.

When I got the Relentless bumper it freed up some space to zip tie them right below the headlights.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #3
Superior Member
707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
707tothe907's Tacoma Gallery
Stock bulbs also don't have any sort of glare shield, so they blind other drivers as well. HIDs are only brighter, so blind a wee bit more.

My fogs are actually angled out to the sides instead of directly in front of me for maximum flood lighting in front of the vehicle, also helps with cornering in dark areas due to tint.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #4
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 707tothe907 View Post
When I had my stock bumper I mounted them with zip ties to the vent looking things in the fender liner.

When I got the Relentless bumper it freed up some space to zip tie them right below the headlights.
I thought about zip ties but worry about the longevity of them. Zip ties get brittle after a few years. Maybe use the bigger ones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
Extreme grade velcro tape.....get it at lowes, pre cut...its silver in color and is marked as extreme.....the black industrial regular looking crap is not gunna hold up around water well......the extreme grade will.

Use it to mount ballasts to inside the bumper, or if the cables reach, the bumper core.

Ymmv
Good idea. I wonder if they have extreme double sided tape too?

I used double sided tape for my headlamp ballasts but they are on top of the fenders by the battery and washer bottle, so they won't fall down quite so easily.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Double sides tape may work......the velcro I chose because it made for simple removal.

Zipties should work fine.....as long as u have a way to keep the ballast from sliding through any loops/ends of the zipties.....freaking duct tape and zipties can do damn near anything it seems
I love duct tape until you have to remove it.

The ballasts have a plastic mounting bracket with holes for screws so I could run the zip ties through them. But I also wonder if that would cause them to bang around and possibly induce early failure?
Old 07-05-2012, 08:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Yes, u would want all the play worked out....I did use self tapping screws and anchored them to the bumper core 1 time..its just a bar of aluminum......course this wont work if ur wires don't stretch.
I wanna say 1 side stretched and 1 side didn't.

I've done 2 sets of hid fogs for trial and error, and I've made my own fxr retrofits..........anything I used the extreme grade velcro tape on has never worked itself loose. Rain,mud, bumps.....never worked loose.

Shit, its this pro series stuff.....sorry, im on my phone.
No problem. Thanks for the ideas!
Old 07-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #7
nammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nam
nammer's Tacoma Gallery
even the 3m auto double sided tape will hold up fine, ballasts are real light, and if u want to make sure, just add a few zip ties to some of the plastic clips under there