1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

tail light issues, brake lights not working, need help

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by TRE3TOP, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Jul 6, 2012 at 6:02 PM
    TRE3TOP

TRE3TOP [OP] New Member

Member:
    Spartanburg
    Vehicle:
    04 taco
    hey guys, i've been having some issues with my brake lights recently. my third brake light is still working but my two normal brake lights quit working about 2 weeks ago. i took it to the local place i get my oil changed on my lunch break cause i figured it was just a bulb or fuse... didn't have time to dig into it myself, yeah i know.

anyhow, the shop called back and said the fuses were good and the bulbs were good and it was a wiring issue.

so i go to toyota to have them look at it, and of course $70 dollars later they tell me i have after market tail lights... which i knew from the get go, and was pretty irate but should have known better since its the stealership.

so i have these aftermarket tail lights that were on the truck when i got it... that supposedly have a resistor in them that is creating excessive resistance and causing them to short and not work.

now i know i sound like a complete noob and a dumbass but minimal flaming would be appreciated.

basically, i'm just trying to get back to stock functioning brake lights. i didn't like the after market ones on there to begin with and espeically if they don't function properly.

has anyone encountered something like this?

and secondly... does anyone have any oem tail lights they would like to get rid of?

if you made it this far... thanks for reading, any help would be appreciated.

Products Discussed in

To Top