Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Help : Getting OTRATTW switched to fit the 2012 Taco

Old 07-15-2012, 05:57 PM   #1
PhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: US Army Corps of Engineers - NADENMG
Name: Ron
PhantomVirus's Tacoma Gallery
Help : Getting OTRATTW switched to fit the 2012 Taco

So it seems that the switch holes in the center console of the 2012's are smaller than their predecessors.

I measured the opening size and even if I were to remove all of the internal plastic tabs/holders the OTRATTW switches still won't fit.

Am I missing something?

Thx
R

Blanks - 2 available but the A-Trac and USB ports are smaller switched than the Fog Lights/ Ac bed adapter/etc on the left side of the dash....

Blank removed - the outer ring was trimmed by other folks but I still don't think it will fit

Size check - looks too big

Size comparison (to blank)

Old 07-15-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
griffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: POL/Fuels
Name: Ryan
griffin407c's Tacoma Gallery
the middle dash switches have been this size since '09. they're the same style switches that are put in many of the newer toyota/lexus vehicles. not much you can do, other than trim the hole. trimming has to be done on the switch slots to the left of the steering wheel as well. not trying to be a dick, but i think you missed the word "trim/trimming" in all the threads about these switches... unless of course you use the switch panel designed for these switches.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:06 PM   #4
PhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: US Army Corps of Engineers - NADENMG
Name: Ron
PhantomVirus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin407c View Post
the middle dash switches have been this size since '09. they're the same style switches that are put in many of the newer toyota/lexus vehicles. not much you can do, other than trim the hole. trimming has to be done on the switch slots to the left of the steering wheel as well. not trying to be a dick, but i think you missed the word "trim/trimming" in all the threads about these switches... unless of course you use the switch panel designed for these switches.

Not being a dick at all. Thanks for the info. I thought (from other threads I read) that I would need to remove the inner ring with a knife or Dremel, unfortunately even if I did that these simply won't fit.

Somehow I missed that part.

Since I don't want to do major surgery to get them to fit - does anyone have a recommendation for a lighted SP switch that is a direct fit?

All the slots on the left of the dash are filled so no joy there.

Thx
R
Old 07-16-2012, 06:13 PM   #5
DIVERMAN is on a distinguished road

Name: Cullen
DIVERMAN's Tacoma Gallery
i ran into the same problem with my switches from OTRATTW. i was going to cut out the whole area there and install a 6 switch holder, but it was going to be more work than i wanted to do to get that part of the dash off, so i installed a 4 switch holder from them into the console just behind the shifter and next to the cup holder.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:28 PM   #7
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedontronics View Post
dremel, that's what i did
This. Make hole bigger until switch fits.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:42 PM   #8
ShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shane
ShaLor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIVERMAN View Post
i ran into the same problem with my switches from OTRATTW. i was going to cut out the whole area there and install a 6 switch holder, but it was going to be more work than i wanted to do to get that part of the dash off, so i installed a 4 switch holder from them into the console just behind the shifter and next to the cup holder.
Would the 6 switch holder fit into that area on the 2012?
Or even the 4 switch holder?
Old 07-17-2012, 07:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomVirus View Post
DiverMan - any pics? Any DIY doc? would love to see what you did.

Thx
Ron

someone else on here did this, but only put in 3 switches. thats what i was going to do until i pulled it off and started laying out/measuring. i found that 4 would fit and not inter fear with the shifter. i don't have anything that i went off of other than following someone else's lead and running with it.

the switch holder is a "put together/make your own" meaning they are individual (2 ends and 2 middle pieces)
Old 07-17-2012, 07:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaLor View Post
Would the 6 switch holder fit into that area on the 2012?
Or even the 4 switch holder?
yes. i would have had to cut out the entire area to make it fit. from the left side up to and including one of the 12v power outlets. the other would have stayed. for two of the slots, i would have "fit" the two stock switches into the holder.

i am still wanting to do this one day, as the 4 switch holder i installed all ready has 3 switches in it. with the 4th slated to get a "BenWa" power sliding rear window switch... one day! lol. and it would turn a negative on toyota's part into a positive. it really is pretty useless to have switch blanks there and then have them a special size and make you have to disassemble the entire dash to get back there (from what i read, and made me change my mine on doing it right now, it is different on the 12's).
Old 07-18-2012, 05:03 AM   #11
ShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ShaLor's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, Diverman. We would love to see the pics of the 4 switch installed on your 2012 lower trim panel.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:08 AM   #12
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
HERE MINE
Old 07-18-2012, 06:51 PM   #13
griffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: POL/Fuels
Name: Ryan
griffin407c's Tacoma Gallery
expensive, but this is the only light switch that will fit in the slot without any modification...

it's not an oem switch, but it is designed to fit in the oem slot...

http://tundrapart.com/lights/auxilia...itch-with-led/
Old 07-19-2012, 07:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaLor View Post
Yes, Diverman. We would love to see the pics of the 4 switch installed on your 2012 lower trim panel.
i didn't install them there. i posted a pic of where they are.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:22 PM   #15

ShaLor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i didn't install them there. i posted a pic of where they are.
Oh, yeah now that I look back at your post, I realized that. I must have missed it the first time. Good looking install, but that spot won't work for me since it is already taken up by something else.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:31 AM   #16
achojerr is on a distinguished road

Name: Jerid
achojerr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

someone else on here did this, but only put in 3 switches. thats what i was going to do until i pulled it off and started laying out/measuring. i found that 4 would fit and not inter fear with the shifter. i don't have anything that i went off of other than following someone else's lead and running with it.

the switch holder is a "put together/make your own" meaning they are individual (2 ends and 2 middle pieces)
So yeah I need to get that done. What about a DIY guide for a fellow Louisiana taco guy
Old 07-20-2012, 07:07 AM   #17
Me Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stan
Me Likey TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin407c View Post
expensive, but this is the only light switch that will fit in the slot without any modification...

it's not an oem switch, but it is designed to fit in the oem slot...

http://tundrapart.com/lights/auxilia...itch-with-led/
Excellent find! Great for a factory look - and no chopping holes. Agreed, pricy.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by achojerr View Post
So yeah I need to get that done. What about a DIY guide for a fellow Louisiana taco guy

i don't have anything or the link anymore. try searching for "finally installed bed lights" or something like that. or you can put "finally" and search through those that come up for the bed light thread. thats the guy i got the idea from.

it won't be that bad if you just use 3 switches. if you put 4 like i did, take a lot of measurements and re-check them 3 or 4 times!! you don't want to interfear with the shifter. you will have a better idea once you take the cover off.

you can't see in this pic, but the cover is curved. it won't be a problem for 3 switches, but the 4 holder won't fit all of the way down because of it. i had some 1/8" sheet rubber and cut out a gasket for it and it helped but not a 100%. I'm the only one who notices it, but I'm anal about that stuff.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me Likey TRD View Post
Excellent find! Great for a factory look - and no chopping holes. Agreed, pricy.

That is really a crazy price for a switch!!! I would so go another route. A 3 switch setup that you can put behind the shifter is 54$ for 3 switches and the bracket.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:12 PM   #20

Quote:
i don't have anything or the link anymore. try searching for "finally installed bed lights" or something like that. or you can put "finally" and search through those that come up for the bed light thread. thats the guy i got the idea from.

it won't be that bad if you just use 3 switches. if you put 4 like i did, take a lot of measurements and re-check them 3 or 4 times!! you don't want to interfear with the shifter. you will have a better idea once you take the cover off.

you can't see in this pic, but the cover is curved. it won't be a problem for 3 switches, but the 4 holder won't fit all of the way down because of it. i had some 1/8" sheet rubber and cut out a gasket for it and it helped but not a 100%. I'm the only one who notices it, but I'm anal about that stuff.
Yeah i found the 3 switch bracket. That really does look great.

Any rides in Louisiana coming up in the near future. I have a TC LT on its way and I really want to try it out.