LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

New LS460 Retrofit

Old 07-20-2012, 12:23 PM   #1
Scotty3 has much to be proud ofScotty3 has much to be proud ofScotty3 has much to be proud ofScotty3 has much to be proud ofScotty3 has much to be proud ofScotty3 has much to be proud ofScotty3 has much to be proud ofScotty3 has much to be proud of
Name: charley
Scotty3's Tacoma Gallery
New LS460 Retrofit

Just ordered my LS460 bixenon projectors today to start my latest retrofit. Using 2011 OEM Smoked housings and OEM JDM STI lenses. Parts should all be here later next week. I'll keep you guys posted on the outcome.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:26 PM   #2
Señor Member
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck I heard its a pain to do with the LS 460s
Old 07-21-2012, 08:31 AM   #5
Scotty3 has much to be proud ofScotty3 has much to be proud ofScotty3 has much to be proud ofScotty3 has much to be proud ofScotty3 has much to be proud ofScotty3 has much to be proud ofScotty3 has much to be proud ofScotty3 has much to be proud of
Scotty3's Tacoma Gallery
I've been doing research on mounting these for the last 6 months actually. these are the projectors i have wanted for my truck since i learned about retro's so im definatly excited to do this. i have as well be practicing and ramping up to do this on many other cars.

Im still not sure if i am going to leave the stock solenoid and cut up my housing or just modify it to add a mini solenoid like andrew over at trs has on his.

If you guys have any tips to help with this it will be appreciatted seeing you guys (asianants and stunt man) have had these on your trucks already.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:24 PM   #6
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
i didn't have the balls to do mine myself i can tell you that much. it can be done sure but, you need to be pretty good with this kind of stuff as it seems to difficult for professional shops to do them without issue.

if you want my advice i say send it to customlightz.com lightwerkz.com probably stay away from jb over at blackflame as he is kind of a hack imo. jb did my set and they where never right he had sealing issues so water galore was a coming in :/

even ant sent his to lightwerkz and he has done by this point probably a hundred retros or more for guys on tw. a guy with his level of retrofitting experience probably could handle them but, from what i have experienced they are just tough to work with.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:31 PM   #7
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wait until you get them in your hands lol you'll see what i'm talking about. these bastards weight like a pound or more and they are almost twice the size of an fx-r projector.

if your into taking your truck off road at all these might not be the best choice. vibrations can be a big problem with them both on how you mount the projector itself and the way the factory reflector bowl mounts to the housing. keeping in mind everything hangs of those two screws reflector bowls have been known to just buckle under the weight of them.

just something to think about. some guys beat the snot out of their trucks on here and some like myself go much easier on them. imo it matters what your going to be doing with the truck that might sound weird but, it can really become a pita taking your lights out every day to fart around with them.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:41 PM   #8

i don't want to be a post whore but, if i had it to do all over again with that kind of cheese i would go with bjorn's modded s2k's they are wicked and the low beams are actually way nicer than the 460's. for a high beam go with leds vision-x, rigid or the new trs bars they have some smoking good deals going on right now.

that would give you the best lighting bang the sk2 if modded right is the best projector you can buy hands down. the draw back is the lack of a high beam but, you also never have to worry about shields falling off getting stuck or solenoids going bad and it does happen.

the leds along with the low beam would be pretty intense to say the least.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:28 AM   #9
Scotty3's Tacoma Gallery
i will definitely be giving it a try, haha the projectors are already on the way so i have to do something with them. as for the adjustment screws i have thought about that and im not sure exactly what i will do but i plan on trying to beef them up some how. I to tend to be easy on my truck, even when in a nasty situation. do you have any pictures of the area they cut out of the bottom of the housing to make room for the solenoid. i seen some on here before but i cannot remember where i see them.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:36 AM   #10
JustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
JustinL's Tacoma Gallery
Dot you have to add material to te back of the Tacoma housing as well for the LS460's to fit?
Old 07-22-2012, 08:44 AM   #12
Scotty3's Tacoma Gallery
I have seen pictures of several retro fits of the LS460 when using the stock solenoids that the bottom of the housing must be extended. its really not to hard to do the work. the method i seen by the guys over at lightwerkz is that they cut the area out and make a basket out of aluminum tape. make sure that all the adjustments work and do not interfere. then cover the outside with jb weld and paint to match. but if i use a different solenoid like the guys at trs then none of that is necessary. I have the other solenoids so i will look into both options when i get everything
Old 07-22-2012, 08:44 AM   #13
Scotty3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianAnts View Post
I'll post later
thanks
Old 07-30-2012, 09:21 PM   #15
Scotty3's Tacoma Gallery
The projectors have arrived. I cleaned and tested them and they look great at about 10ft away. i have not been able to test them at a good distance yet.
Attached Thumbnails
New LS460 Retrofit-img_0343.jpg  
Old 02-08-2013, 09:57 PM   #17
Scotty3's Tacoma Gallery
Been awhile since i posted on this thread. I was waiting on parts for a few months then busy working out of town. here are some of the latest pictures of the in progress retrofit. I still have to finish the solenoid and paint the bowl black.
Attached Thumbnails
New LS460 Retrofit-img_0718.jpg   New LS460 Retrofit-img_0719.jpg   New LS460 Retrofit-img_0720.jpg   New LS460 Retrofit-img_0721.jpg  
Old 07-23-2013, 10:28 PM   #18
Scotty3's Tacoma Gallery
Solenoids are mounted and working on the mounting for the STI lenses. they are quite a bit thicker around the edges so some work is involved to make them work.
Attached Thumbnails
New LS460 Retrofit-img_1098.jpg   New LS460 Retrofit-img_1101.jpg  
Old 10-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #20
Scotty3's Tacoma Gallery
Lenses mounted and tuned, solenoids tested and issue fixed, Shrouds fitted and headlight buckets painted. Only thing left is to double check the lense tuning at different distances and JB weld the projector to the bucket. also still not sure if I want to add LED halos.
Attached Thumbnails
New LS460 Retrofit-img_1281.jpg   New LS460 Retrofit-img_1284.jpg   New LS460 Retrofit-img_1285.jpg