1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

headlight bulbs

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by brant_trd, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Jul 30, 2007 at 3:28 PM
    brant_trd

brant_trd [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jasper, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Tacoma
    Black Headlight Mod, Nightshaded Taillights, Grillcraft Speed Grille, Revtec 3 inch leveling lift kit, 2-tone Coverking seatcovers, TRD intake and exhaust, back cats removed, secondary air filter removed, custom TRD stripes down the sides of tacoma, debadged, and H.I.D. 10,000 degrees headlights and foglights
    I have a problem with my headlights I think I solved the problem. I started using Silverstars because my friends swear by them, now I just blew my 2nd pair this year and ready to get my 3rd pair. They're warranted for one year, so I'm not paying. I always thought that they just ran hot all the time, but since my front suspension is really stiff, I think I just need a stronger bulb. Now I could just go back to stock, but aftermarket is so much brighter. I was just wondering what other aftermarket choices I have, what you guys are using and I'll could use some recommendations too.

2. Jul 30, 2007 at 3:32 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    i just ordered a set of "HID" superwhites off ebay and i'm waiting on them to come in. wish i could help

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Jul 30, 2007 at 4:34 PM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    Try E-DOT silverstars. the e-dots are made to European specs. They are what I use in my motorcycle, and there is plenty of vibration in that, without a problem.

Available here. http://electricalconnection.com/

4. Jul 30, 2007 at 4:51 PM
    wormhole7

wormhole7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lake Dallas, Tx
    Vehicle:
    TSS
    Leather, Suspension TSB, Billy 5100's up front set at .85, Eaton Posi LSD,Grillcraft Black Mesh Grills,Aires Bull Bar,Black Low Profile Narrow Toybox,Black Headlight Mod,Black Tail lights ,USA Spec,Ipod, PopnLock,Bed Mat,Bug Sheild,Vent Visors, Weathertec Liners,Radar,Nuvi 760,Dog Ramp,Convex Mirrors, Roof Rack, Tint, Borla exhaust, Borla Intake, OBX pedals, Home Link Auto Dimming Mirror with remote, 20" Factory Wheels, Factory Tube Steps
    I got some H.I.D 8500's off of ebay but haven't installed them yet.
    I was planning on doing the blackout mod to my headlights at the same time.

5. Jul 30, 2007 at 4:56 PM
    bowzerdoo77

bowzerdoo77 U.S.M.C.

Member:
    North Ogden Utah
    Vehicle:
    1997 REG CAB 4x4
    None
    Are Hid's Just A Plug And Go Thing Or Do You Have To Put Ballast's In And All That Crap?

6. Jul 30, 2007 at 5:05 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    All HIDs need to have a ballast and all that crap.

7. Jul 30, 2007 at 5:13 PM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    thats y i put quotes around HID in my post...lol

8. Jul 30, 2007 at 5:57 PM
    Map06TRD

Map06TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    i love my silverstars.. .

i have all 4.. headlights/fogs. 6 months no problem..

i had them in my car for over 2 years no problem..

9. Jul 30, 2007 at 6:43 PM
    wormhole7

Member:
    Lake Dallas, Tx
    Vehicle:
    TSS
    Leather, Suspension TSB, Billy 5100's up front set at .85, Eaton Posi LSD,Grillcraft Black Mesh Grills,Aires Bull Bar,Black Low Profile Narrow Toybox,Black Headlight Mod,Black Tail lights ,USA Spec,Ipod, PopnLock,Bed Mat,Bug Sheild,Vent Visors, Weathertec Liners,Radar,Nuvi 760,Dog Ramp,Convex Mirrors, Roof Rack, Tint, Borla exhaust, Borla Intake, OBX pedals, Home Link Auto Dimming Mirror with remote, 20" Factory Wheels, Factory Tube Steps
  10. Jul 30, 2007 at 7:00 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
  11. Jul 30, 2007 at 7:19 PM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
  12. Jul 30, 2007 at 8:08 PM
    wormhole7

Member:
    Lake Dallas, Tx
    Vehicle:
    TSS
    :eek: Well, it just goes to show you, you get what you pay for. Thanks for the info guys, I guess I'll have to wait for a while before I get the real thing, my girlfriend is demanding that I cease to buy stuff for the truck until she gets "a ring" :eek:......she says for what I've spent already on mods that she could have had one. On the bright side, I guess I can still do the black headlight mod without spending any money. :D

13. Jul 30, 2007 at 8:33 PM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    yep...one can of krylon fusion should work...so like $6

14. Jul 31, 2007 at 6:11 AM
    brant_trd

Member:
    Jasper, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Tacoma
    Black Headlight Mod, Nightshaded Taillights, Grillcraft Speed Grille, Revtec 3 inch leveling lift kit, 2-tone Coverking seatcovers, TRD intake and exhaust, back cats removed, secondary air filter removed, custom TRD stripes down the sides of tacoma, debadged, and H.I.D. 10,000 degrees headlights and foglights
    Is it true that you need projector headlights to get the full effect of HID?

15. Jul 31, 2007 at 12:45 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Yes. Also, any aftermarket HID system is illegal in cars. Only legal ones are those installed from the factory.

16. Aug 1, 2007 at 12:35 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    why is that?

17. Aug 1, 2007 at 12:37 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    Unless you mess it up and have to buy a new headlight assembly. Thats whats keeping me from doing the mod, i'm not patient at all and can see myself getting pissed and having to buy a new assembly. a no cost mod can turn into a very expensive mod real fast

18. Aug 1, 2007 at 1:16 PM
    wormhole7

Member:
    Lake Dallas, Tx
    Vehicle:
    TSS
    You do have a point. I have impatient tendencies and if anyone can mess something up, it would be me. I almost bought a headlight off of ebay for an 06 tacoma before I told the g.f. that I would quit buying stuff for the truck. It was only the left headlight, and it was only 19 bucks. Would have been a good practice run. Well, I did buy the paint to do it and have bookmarked several "how to's" for that mod. So, wish me luck. I may do it this weekend.

19. Aug 3, 2007 at 1:25 PM
    brant_trd

Member:
    Jasper, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Tacoma
    Thanks, I ended up ordering the HID xenon angel eyes. And then a fog went out, so I also bought some super plasma GT's by PIAA. I think those might brighten up my nights.

Brant

20. Aug 5, 2007 at 4:47 PM
    wormhole7

Member:
    Lake Dallas, Tx
    Vehicle:
    TSS
    Well, I took the plunge. Got r done. I did the first one by following directions off of another site. 300 for 8 minutes. Let it cool a bit then got after it. It was very hard and took quite some time to pry the light apart. My fingers were killing me. The second light I did at 315 for 10 minutes, put on some thick leather gloves and as soon as it was out of the oven, went to pulling. Came off very easy and relatively quick. Put both lights back in at 315 for 10 minutes to re-compress them together. Not as bad as I thought. Looks great.

Products Discussed in

To Top