Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

headlight bulbs

Old 07-30-2007, 04:28 PM   #1
brant_trd is on a distinguished road

brant_trd's Tacoma Gallery
Question headlight bulbs

I have a problem with my headlights I think I solved the problem. I started using Silverstars because my friends swear by them, now I just blew my 2nd pair this year and ready to get my 3rd pair. They're warranted for one year, so I'm not paying. I always thought that they just ran hot all the time, but since my front suspension is really stiff, I think I just need a stronger bulb. Now I could just go back to stock, but aftermarket is so much brighter. I was just wondering what other aftermarket choices I have, what you guys are using and I'll could use some recommendations too.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:32 PM   #2
Piss off
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
i just ordered a set of "HID" superwhites off ebay and i'm waiting on them to come in. wish i could help
Old 07-30-2007, 05:34 PM   #3
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Try E-DOT silverstars. the e-dots are made to European specs. They are what I use in my motorcycle, and there is plenty of vibration in that, without a problem.

Available here. http://electricalconnection.com/
Old 07-30-2007, 05:56 PM   #5
U.S.M.C.
bowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of light

Marines: HQ BN Truck CO 2nd Marine Division, RS Salt lake city, 6th Marine Regiment, 7th Marine Regiment
bowzerdoo77's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to bowzerdoo77 Send a message via Skype™ to bowzerdoo77
Are Hid's Just A Plug And Go Thing Or Do You Have To Put Ballast's In And All That Crap?
Old 07-30-2007, 06:05 PM   #6
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
All HIDs need to have a ballast and all that crap.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:13 PM   #7
Piss off
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thats y i put quotes around HID in my post...lol
Old 07-30-2007, 06:57 PM   #8
Map06TRD is on a distinguished road
Map06TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Map06TRD
i love my silverstars.. .

i have all 4.. headlights/fogs. 6 months no problem..

i had them in my car for over 2 years no problem..
Old 07-30-2007, 08:00 PM   #10
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wormhole7, I hope you know those aren't true HID bulbs. The bulb is colored to make it look like a HID does, but they aren't HID's. Those are just direct replacement bulbs. You'll need something like these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/10000...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 07-30-2007, 08:19 PM   #11
Piss off

here is the c2c tacoma hid kit from them...

http://www.coast2coastperf.com/store/hid.html
Old 07-30-2007, 09:08 PM   #12
wormhole7 is on a distinguished road

wormhole7's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to wormhole7
You get what you pay for

Well, it just goes to show you, you get what you pay for. Thanks for the info guys, I guess I'll have to wait for a while before I get the real thing, my girlfriend is demanding that I cease to buy stuff for the truck until she gets "a ring" ......she says for what I've spent already on mods that she could have had one. On the bright side, I guess I can still do the black headlight mod without spending any money.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:33 PM   #13
Piss off

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormhole7 View Post
On the bright side, I guess I can still do the black headlight mod without spending any money.
yep...one can of krylon fusion should work...so like $6
Old 07-31-2007, 01:45 PM   #15
bite me

Yes. Also, any aftermarket HID system is illegal in cars. Only legal ones are those installed from the factory.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:35 PM   #16
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanoid View Post
Yes. Also, any aftermarket HID system is illegal in cars. Only legal ones are those installed from the factory.
why is that?
Old 08-01-2007, 01:37 PM   #17
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wormhole7 View Post
Well, it just goes to show you, you get what you pay for. Thanks for the info guys, I guess I'll have to wait for a while before I get the real thing, my girlfriend is demanding that I cease to buy stuff for the truck until she gets "a ring" ......she says for what I've spent already on mods that she could have had one. On the bright side, I guess I can still do the black headlight mod without spending any money.
Unless you mess it up and have to buy a new headlight assembly. Thats whats keeping me from doing the mod, i'm not patient at all and can see myself getting pissed and having to buy a new assembly. a no cost mod can turn into a very expensive mod real fast
Old 08-01-2007, 02:16 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
Unless you mess it up and have to buy a new headlight assembly. Thats whats keeping me from doing the mod, i'm not patient at all and can see myself getting pissed and having to buy a new assembly. a no cost mod can turn into a very expensive mod real fast
You do have a point. I have impatient tendencies and if anyone can mess something up, it would be me. I almost bought a headlight off of ebay for an 06 tacoma before I told the g.f. that I would quit buying stuff for the truck. It was only the left headlight, and it was only 19 bucks. Would have been a good practice run. Well, I did buy the paint to do it and have bookmarked several "how to's" for that mod. So, wish me luck. I may do it this weekend.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:25 PM   #19
brant_trd is on a distinguished road

brant_trd's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, I ended up ordering the HID xenon angel eyes. And then a fog went out, so I also bought some super plasma GT's by PIAA. I think those might brighten up my nights.

Brant
Old 08-05-2007, 05:47 PM   #20

I did the black headlight mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
Well, I took the plunge. Got r done. I did the first one by following directions off of another site. 300 for 8 minutes. Let it cool a bit then got after it. It was very hard and took quite some time to pry the light apart. My fingers were killing me. The second light I did at 315 for 10 minutes, put on some thick leather gloves and as soon as it was out of the oven, went to pulling. Came off very easy and relatively quick. Put both lights back in at 315 for 10 minutes to re-compress them together. Not as bad as I thought. Looks great.