Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Just installed LED switchbacks, and they sort of work...

Old 07-22-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
Erik37 is on a distinguished road
Erik37's Tacoma Gallery
Just installed LED switchbacks, and they sort of work...

Yesterday I installed LED switchbacks in the DTRL/turn signals and everything seemed fine. I turned the lights on and they light up white. I turned the signals on and they flash amber. Then today when I was driving I noticed the reflection on the vehicle in front of me and they were lit up amber. When I parked I left it running and got out and checked and they are amber in every position. But when the truck is off and I turn to the first or second position they are white. I'm guessing it's something to do with the DTRL's?? Is there a way to disable them so they light up white? Or any other way?
Old 07-22-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
Rascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
Rascal737's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik37 View Post
Yesterday I installed LED switchbacks in the DTRL/turn signals and everything seemed fine. I turned the lights on and they light up white. I turned the signals on and they flash amber. Then today when I was driving I noticed the reflection on the vehicle in front of me and they were lit up amber. When I parked I left it running and got out and checked and they are amber in every position. But when the truck is off and I turn to the first or second position they are white. I'm guessing it's something to do with the DTRL's?? Is there a way to disable them so they light up white? Or any other way?
where did you get the the dtrl's? I'm guessing you have the resistors for them hooked up correctly......how are the lights wired up?
Old 07-23-2012, 12:24 PM   #3
Erik37's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal737 View Post
where did you get the the dtrl's? I'm guessing you have the resistors for them hooked up correctly......how are the lights wired up?
I got them on Ebay, I made sure it was a US seller, I tried the cheap ones first and they just kept blowing the fuses. The resistors are hooked up and slow down the hyper flash. The bulbs just plugged into the socket. What I wrote before isn't 100% correct. I thought when the truck was running and the light switch is in the second position the LED's were amber, that is not the case. It is only when the light switch is in the off or first position. When in the second position they light up white. I guess I could live with that if I drove around with my headlights on all the time but I don't.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
Rascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I got them on Ebay, I made sure it was a US seller, I tried the cheap ones first and they just kept blowing the fuses. The resistors are hooked up and slow down the hyper flash. The bulbs just plugged into the socket. What I wrote before isn't 100% correct. I thought when the truck was running and the light switch is in the second position the LED's were amber, that is not the case. It is only when the light switch is in the off or first position. When in the second position they light up white. I guess I could live with that if I drove around with my headlights on all the time but I don't.
Not sure how you wired the dtrl's up, but i'm sure that they should be off when the headlight switch is in the second position.....then they only work as amber turn signals. I got my kit from csjumper2003 with instructions on how to wire them up....mine also has a relay under the dash which takes an input from the dtrl wire and outputs to the switchbacks. So mine are white with headlights off and in 1st position and blinks amber with turn signals.....then are off with headlights on (2nd position) and blinks amber.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:25 PM   #5
Mechanically Goofy
neonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
neonlazer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
PM CSjumper2003. He knows exactly how to do it. I just didn't feel like adding a circuit and all. Lol
Old 07-24-2012, 07:30 AM   #6
Erik37's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal737 View Post
Not sure how you wired the dtrl's up, but i'm sure that they should be off when the headlight switch is in the second position.....then they only work as amber turn signals. I got my kit from csjumper2003 with instructions on how to wire them up....mine also has a relay under the dash which takes an input from the dtrl wire and outputs to the switchbacks. So mine are white with headlights off and in 1st position and blinks amber with turn signals.....then are off with headlights on (2nd position) and blinks amber.
The truck came with the dtrls, and yes they turn off in the second position. I have no relay or anything, just plugged them in and they worked, sort of. Do you still have the instructions?
Old 07-25-2012, 12:21 AM   #7
Jumper's Leds
csjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: 2nd class petty officer
Name: chris
csjumper2003's Tacoma Gallery
Rascals is an 09. Different from a 2012. I sell the instructions if you don't buy the dtrl kit from me. Either way let me know.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by csjumper2003 View Post
Rascals is an 09. Different from a 2012. I sell the instructions if you don't buy the dtrl kit from me. Either way let me know.
good point I didn't even look at Erik's model year....Talk to Chris first before you do anything to your wiring!!

Oh and Thanks Chris again....Love the lights.....maybe I should have gotten the 3rd brake lights, corner lights, and licence plate lights from you at the same time!!!