1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just installed LED switchbacks, and they sort of work...

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Erik37, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Jul 22, 2012 at 3:53 PM
    Erik37

Erik37 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Langley, BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport 6spd leather
    Yesterday I installed LED switchbacks in the DTRL/turn signals and everything seemed fine. I turned the lights on and they light up white. I turned the signals on and they flash amber. Then today when I was driving I noticed the reflection on the vehicle in front of me and they were lit up amber. When I parked I left it running and got out and checked and they are amber in every position. But when the truck is off and I turn to the first or second position they are white. I'm guessing it's something to do with the DTRL's?? Is there a way to disable them so they light up white? Or any other way?

2. Jul 22, 2012 at 8:24 PM
    Rascal737

Rascal737 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Oliver
    Abbotsford, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 Silver DCLB TRD Sport 4X4
    Python 574 Remote start/Security system, reusable cabin air filter, led map and dome lights, led bed lights, switchback dtrl's, aftermarket dual halo projector headlights retrofitted with TRS goodies, foglights on anytime, Illuminated 4X4 switch, Redline hood struts and EZ down tailgate, Weathertech front and rear floor liners, Black Westin 4" oval step bars
    where did you get the the dtrl's? I'm guessing you have the resistors for them hooked up correctly......how are the lights wired up?

3. Jul 23, 2012 at 12:24 PM
    Erik37

Member:
    Langley, BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    I got them on Ebay, I made sure it was a US seller, I tried the cheap ones first and they just kept blowing the fuses. The resistors are hooked up and slow down the hyper flash. The bulbs just plugged into the socket. What I wrote before isn't 100% correct. I thought when the truck was running and the light switch is in the second position the LED's were amber, that is not the case. It is only when the light switch is in the off or first position. When in the second position they light up white. I guess I could live with that if I drove around with my headlights on all the time but I don't.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Jul 23, 2012 at 7:21 PM
    Rascal737

Member:
    First Name:
    Oliver
    Abbotsford, BC
    Vehicle:
    Python 574 Remote start/Security system, reusable cabin air filter, led map and dome lights, led bed lights, switchback dtrl's, aftermarket dual halo projector headlights retrofitted with TRS goodies, foglights on anytime, Illuminated 4X4 switch, Redline hood struts and EZ down tailgate, Weathertech front and rear floor liners, Black Westin 4" oval step bars
    Not sure how you wired the dtrl's up, but i'm sure that they should be off when the headlight switch is in the second position.....then they only work as amber turn signals. I got my kit from csjumper2003 with instructions on how to wire them up....mine also has a relay under the dash which takes an input from the dtrl wire and outputs to the switchbacks. So mine are white with headlights off and in 1st position and blinks amber with turn signals.....then are off with headlights on (2nd position) and blinks amber.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Jul 23, 2012 at 8:25 PM
    neonlazer

neonlazer Mechanically Goofy

Member:
    Lafayette, LA
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB 4x4 SR5
    PM CSjumper2003. He knows exactly how to do it. I just didn't feel like adding a circuit and all. Lol

6. Jul 24, 2012 at 7:30 AM
    Erik37

Member:
    Langley, BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The truck came with the dtrls, and yes they turn off in the second position. I have no relay or anything, just plugged them in and they worked, sort of. Do you still have the instructions?

7. Jul 25, 2012 at 12:21 AM
    csjumper2003

csjumper2003 Jumper's Leds Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2014 SSM Trd Off Road 4x4 Auto
    Rascals is an 09. Different from a 2012. I sell the instructions if you don't buy the dtrl kit from me. Either way let me know.

8. Jul 25, 2012 at 12:37 AM
    Rascal737

Member:
    First Name:
    Oliver
    Abbotsford, BC
    Vehicle:
    good point I didn't even look at Erik's model year....Talk to Chris first before you do anything to your wiring!!

Oh and Thanks Chris again....Love the lights.....maybe I should have gotten the 3rd brake lights, corner lights, and licence plate lights from you at the same time!!!

9. Jul 26, 2012 at 2:42 AM
    Rascal737

Member:
    First Name:
    Oliver
    Abbotsford, BC
    Vehicle:

Products Discussed in

To Top