Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

blacked out brake light pictures

Old 01-07-2009, 09:58 AM   #1
obsurfer1990 is an unknown quantity at this point
obsurfer1990's Tacoma Gallery
blacked out brake light pictures

hey can people post some pictures of their blacked out brake lights im interested in blacking mine out. please and thank you
Old 01-09-2009, 09:53 AM   #2
IdealError is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
IdealError's Tacoma Gallery
It's really not a good idea to black out your breaklights, depending on where you live. Cops around here (socal) love to pull people over for that stuff.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:57 AM   #3
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
this is the only pic i have at the moment.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:02 PM   #4
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealError View Post
It's really not a good idea to black out your breaklights, depending on where you live. Cops around here (socal) love to pull people over for that stuff.
Yep. It's illegal in California. It could also make you liable if your truck gets hit from behind.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:21 PM   #5
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
x2... illegal in a lot of states. You must have some 'Red' showing. When I did mine, I didn't go terribly dark to retain a red / maroon look.

Hard to see in these pics, but ya get the idea.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:22 PM   #6
tacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud of

Name: Levi
tacoma08MZ's Tacoma Gallery

heres one of mine, i wouldnt call them blacked out just tinted. because its illegal here in pa too
Old 01-09-2009, 01:24 PM   #7
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoskim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealError View Post
yup, im lucky mine are velcro so i can take them off and put them back on. everytime i get pulled over for it i tell them i can take it off and they never believe me, then i show them and their speechless
Old 01-11-2009, 08:24 PM   #8
swsteven will become famous soon enough
swsteven's Tacoma Gallery
heres mine
Attached Thumbnails
blacked out brake light pictures-blacked-out.jpg  
Old 01-15-2009, 09:36 PM   #9
swsteven will become famous soon enough
swsteven's Tacoma Gallery

heres mine
Old 01-15-2009, 09:58 PM   #10
09 but I drive a 012 Expedition...
tacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff...I'm pretty sure
tacoholic's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacoholic
...eh, I'd just smoke them. Keep it legal in all states and look cool.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:43 PM   #11
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoholic View Post
...eh, I'd just smoke them. Keep it legal in all states and look cool.
Any level of tint in California is illegal.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:53 AM   #13
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
you cant have plate frames?
I know tons of people who have license plate frames and ive been in texas for the last 23 years..
Old 01-16-2009, 11:57 AM   #14
tacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrjohnson View Post
Any level of tint in California is illegal.
Balls! Damn state...can't tint the front windows past 70% either.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Balls! Damn state...can't tint the front windows past 70% either.
Sorry to disappoint you but you can't legally tint the front windows at all. It has to be clear. According to the law, to have 70% tint, you have to have a doctor's or optometrist's note, it has to be removable and you can't operate the vehicle with it on at night. I've gotten a ticket for pretty light tint. I knew one girl that had tint that the shop said was legal who got a ticket within a week of installing it and I know some people get away with it for years. At the officer's discretion, they can site it as a fix-it ticket ($10 fine plus signoff by an officer) or they can site it as a violation (court costs which usually bumps the fine up over $100). That's the same with tinted lights (fix-it or violation).
Old 01-16-2009, 12:40 PM   #16
Wife thinks I am done Modding truck
Imrubicon is on a distinguished road

Army: Crash rescue\Medivac
Imrubicon's Tacoma Gallery
So glad I dont live way left of the normal states
Old 01-16-2009, 12:42 PM   #17
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
old truck

new truck
Old 01-16-2009, 01:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Sorry to disappoint you but you can't legally tint the front windows at all. It has to be clear. According to the law, to have 70% tint, you have to have a doctor's or optometrist's note, it has to be removable and you can't operate the vehicle with it on at night. I've gotten a ticket for pretty light tint. I knew one girl that had tint that the shop said was legal who got a ticket within a week of installing it and I know some people get away with it for years. At the officer's discretion, they can site it as a fix-it ticket ($10 fine plus signoff by an officer) or they can site it as a violation (court costs which usually bumps the fine up over $100). That's the same with tinted lights (fix-it or violation).
Frick! At least I'm looking to sell it so if it ever does get pulled over hopefully it won't be in my hands.
Although I remember a law that let you tint the front 2 up to 70% and then 4" can be whatever tint you want on top of the windshield.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Frick! At least I'm looking to sell it so if it ever does get pulled over hopefully it won't be in my hands.
Although I remember a law that let you tint the front 2 up to 70% and then 4" can be whatever tint you want on top of the windshield.
I don't know when the law was enacted but my ticket was quite a while ago (2000). California has the entire legal code available online at www.leginfo.ca.gov. It's updated to reflect all laws through 2008. Here is the section of the
California law dealing with tint (section 26708). One exception I found might be 26708 section d points 1-5 at the bottom of 26708 (probably where the 70% number comes in). All five points have to be met. Point 2 might be the sticking point depending on what glazing means. Point 4 requires certification by the manufacturer and/or installer and notes that the "Windows with the material installed" so it may be referring to factory tint.
Point 1: The material has a minimum visible light transmittance of 88
percent. [so 88%, not 70%]
Point 2: The window glazing with the material applied meets all
requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205 (49
C.F.R. 571.205), including the specified minimum light transmittance
of 70 percent and the abrasion resistance of AS-14 glazing, as
specified in that federal standard. [the 70% number would be superceeded by point 1]
Point 3: The material is designed and manufactured to enhance the
ability of the existing window glass to block the sun's harmful
ultraviolet A rays.
Point 4: The driver has in his or her possession, or within the
vehicle, a certificate signed by the installing company certifying
that the windows with the material installed meet the requirements of
this subdivision and identifies the installing company and the
material's manufacturer by full name and street address, or, if the
material was installed by the vehicle owner, a certificate signed by
the material's manufacturer certifying that the windows with the
material installed according to manufacturer's instructions meets the
requirements of this subdivision and identifies the material's
manufacturer by full name and street address.
Point 5: If the material described in this subdivision tears or
bubbles, or is otherwise worn to prohibit clear vision, it shall be
removed or replaced.

CHP also says it's illegal on their FAQ:
http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html

For the tinted strip on the windshield section c states:
c) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), transparent material may be
installed, affixed, or applied to the topmost portion of the
windshield if the following conditions apply:
(1) The bottom edge of the material is at least 29 inches above
the undepressed driver's seat when measured from a point 5 inches in
front of the bottom of the backrest with the driver's seat in its
rearmost and lowermost position with the vehicle on a level surface.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:54 PM   #20
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Oooh I sure am glad I live in Texas. 23% over the factory in the front and somewhere around 13 over the factory in the rear... Never had a LEO say anything about it either. My last pick-up was quite a bit darker... Received somewhere around 4 tickets in it(speeding), and also no problem with the tint. Got to love it.