Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Harbor Freight $10 Off Road Lights

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-27-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
7.62x63mm
goufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NAVAIR
Name: Michael
goufcustom's Tacoma Gallery
Harbor Freight $10 Off Road Lights

Anyone running the $10 Harbor Freight, see link below, I am not a huge off-roader, and I dont think I will use them a ton, but wanted to see how much I would use them if I had them, and then maybe buy better ones later. They would be behind a Satoshi, thoughts? I dont want to convert them to HIDs, just want to run them stock, or maybe put a higher watt bulb in them.

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-...tem-95811.html
Old 07-27-2012, 06:56 PM   #3
Go Pro Junkie
Toy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Garrett
Toy Yoda's Tacoma Gallery
x3
Old 07-27-2012, 07:11 PM   #5
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Prolly half ass decent lights. For twenty bucks you can find out, keep us posted.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:13 PM   #6
7.62x63mm
goufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4daddy View Post
Prolly half ass decent lights. For twenty bucks you can find out, keep us posted.
Yeah, I am not sure I need or really want lights, and have been on the fence for awhile, and I am not really sure I want to spend $150+ on lights just to not use them. We will see, maybe if I end up near a HF I will grab a set.

I have a feeling the lights output is low.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:30 PM   #7
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
KC clone.

There's a reason they're only $10
Old 07-27-2012, 07:30 PM   #8
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
I'd drop $15 more and go with the 100w if I was going cheap. What's $35 vs. $20?

http://www.harborfreight.com/off-roa...stem-3029.html
Old 07-27-2012, 07:47 PM   #9
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
$20 is for 2. So if they're $15 more then your going from 2 for $20. To 2 for $50

But I just checked Link and you meant $15 more than $20 so then your up to $70 for 2 lights compared to $20 for 2. Big difference for us people building our trucks on budgets lol
Dude, have you been drinking? lol. The link I posted is two 100w lights for $35. The OP's post is one 55w light for $10. My math is right.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:47 PM   #10
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
KC clone.

There's a reason they're only $10

Yep, China.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:52 PM   #11
7.62x63mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post
I'd drop $15 more and go with the 100w if I was going cheap. What's $35 vs. $20?

http://www.harborfreight.com/off-roa...stem-3029.html
Nice, that might be worth the extra $15, and it comes with the switch and some wires.

And I know they wont last long, I usually stay away from buying things twice, but that is with things I know I really want, things like this that I just dont know if I want/need I got cheap to figure out if I want to spend the big bucks on good ones.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:24 AM   #14
7.62x63mm

Wiring Diagram

I have never had a set of lights, so I have no point of reference, but they seem well made considering I paid $17.99 for them. Also the front "grill" is not removable, It can likely be dremeled out but I am just going to leave it since they are going behind my grill. The mounting stud is short and fat at 3/8" (per the paperwork). After lunch I may try to get them installed. Not thrilled that they dont use an H-3 type bulb, but again what can you expect, a set up bulbs would cost more than this entire set, so...

The wiring just needs some electrical tape to keep it from getting wet, other wise this looks good to go.

I will report back once they are in and I have a chance to try them in the dark.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #15
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Don't use that fuse, or any fuse from Harbor Freight.

A couple of years ago there was a rash of "smokers" on a few forums.
The common thread was that the fuses were melting and burning. Some were failing even when excessive current was not being drawn, but some were not blowing when tested at current above their rating.

These were all fuses that were supplied with HF electrical products, or fuses from the large HF fuse kits.

Beware Chinese electrical parts.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:41 PM   #16
Rich
Dirty Jersey is a glorious beacon of lightDirty Jersey is a glorious beacon of lightDirty Jersey is a glorious beacon of lightDirty Jersey is a glorious beacon of lightDirty Jersey is a glorious beacon of lightDirty Jersey is a glorious beacon of light

Dirty Jersey's Tacoma Gallery
The only tools I get from Harbor Frieght are ones u consider disposable. One job and done. I.E. $15 power drill used for ejector pump install. You get what you pay for.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:50 AM   #17
7.62x63mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Jersey View Post
The only tools I get from Harbor Frieght are ones u consider disposable. One job and done. I.E. $15 power drill used for ejector pump install. You get what you pay for.
Yes, very true, if these work for 6 months and then break and I end up using them then I will simply replace them with a higher quality set, but right now I have no idea if I will even use them. Off Road lights have just been on my mind for awhile and wanted to give them a try without dropping a $100+ on something I may not even use. The money saved on not buying a set of Hellas went directly to buying new UCAs for my lift, which is my current priority.

Hope to have them installed in about a month, got a lot going on and cant get to this, but I will post some pictures and such once they are installed. I just got the hardware to make my own behind the grill light bar last week, atleast that will be reusable if/when these break.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:00 AM   #18
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
I ran some of those on another truck for about a year. They rusted to shit a month after installing them. (didn't live in a high corrosion area) Wiring they come with is too small for the amperage and they all around needed to be trashed. Not too bright either.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:49 PM   #19
danwat1234 is on a distinguished road
danwat1234's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by goufcustom View Post
Yes, very true, if these work for 6 months and then break and I end up using them then I will simply replace them with a higher quality set, but right now I have no idea if I will even use them. Off Road lights have just been on my mind for awhile and wanted to give them a try without dropping a $100+ on something I may not even use. The money saved on not buying a set of Hellas went directly to buying new UCAs for my lift, which is my current priority.

Hope to have them installed in about a month, got a lot going on and cant get to this, but I will post some pictures and such once they are installed. I just got the hardware to make my own behind the grill light bar last week, atleast that will be reusable if/when these break.
I'm curious how long they'll last. Great price. There aren't that many people in forums that have installed them (that I've found). So far it seems like the bulbs and switch is the weak point.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:13 PM   #20
7.62x63mm

I started to install the HF off road lights; they are not wired up, the bracket took forever to build. Because these lights are so thick, they had to be mounted a lot closer to the radiator, so the bracket I initially build had to be modified, lots of cutting and grinding...
They are extremely tightly fitted in there, I dont recommend them because of this, I will finish wiring them and run them to see how they work and all, but they might get moved to my Miata, the factory lights on that thing suck the big one, so these might tuck nicely into the fish mouth on that thing.

I also replaced the HF fuse with a fuse I had laying around, was a spare for something, but wasn't a HF fuse, so that should help.

More to come.

Products Discussed in this Thread