Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

HID's Problems

Old 07-31-2012, 06:31 AM   #1
cstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Carl
cstephan's Tacoma Gallery
HID's Problems

TW,

Who else here, has had problems form the after markets HID's kit? I have the ones form SLIM and having high beam problems/balist problems. the relay is not kicking over. am I going to experence problems a few years from now? did i take ~ 170$ Original cost + (QTY 3)(10$ warranty part shipping to me). total cost 200$ and burn in the air? . All i want is this to last....
Old 07-31-2012, 07:07 AM   #2
Poodoo
luk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
I've had mine for years now, slim's first GB. I did have a few issues with my ballast, which slim took care of promptly. These issues occurred over a 2yr period. Ordered a set from slim for my brothers truck, arrived with a bad bulb, and again slim took care of it. Keep in mind I'm just listing the problems I have experienced over the course of what must be. Close to 5yrs. Most of the time trouble free operation was the norm.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:11 AM   #3
Hydrolai is a splendid one to beholdHydrolai is a splendid one to beholdHydrolai is a splendid one to beholdHydrolai is a splendid one to beholdHydrolai is a splendid one to beholdHydrolai is a splendid one to beholdHydrolai is a splendid one to behold
Name: Johnny
Hydrolai's Tacoma Gallery
usually its the ebay ones were the ballast are pretty much fake. also have the slim ones and been fine. no problems here
Old 07-31-2012, 07:11 AM   #4
Hydrolai is a splendid one to beholdHydrolai is a splendid one to beholdHydrolai is a splendid one to beholdHydrolai is a splendid one to beholdHydrolai is a splendid one to beholdHydrolai is a splendid one to beholdHydrolai is a splendid one to behold
Name: Johnny
Hydrolai's Tacoma Gallery
also if the relay doesnt kick over or fails after it was working normal maybe a loose wire ? have had that happen to me multiple times.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:26 AM   #6
cstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shedcstephan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I have tested the harness, and the problem is in the relay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrolai View Post
also if the relay doesnt kick over or fails after it was working normal maybe a loose wire ? have had that happen to me multiple times.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:27 AM   #7

This is good to know, i hope once th ebugs get worked out, that is does last 10-15 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
I also don't have the newer slim ballast. Keep in mind I for a while was wheeling my truck, these ballast were wet and covered in mud at times. Always cleaned and never submerged.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:31 AM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a slim kit and it's worked great for the last 2+ years. I've got it on a motorcycle which means it cycles while the starter cranks and at idle they tend to flicker (this all means I'm fairly hard on the ballasts and they've held up fine).
Old 07-31-2012, 07:34 AM   #9
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
I've had mine for almost 5 years now. I had a problem after 4 years with the lights wanting to turn on by themselves. I contacted Slim and ordered a new relay harness and all is good again. I had another set that the plug had a problem where the stock harness connected to it. Contacted Slim and he took care of it under warranty. That set was only a few months old. If you wash your engine or the relay is in a spot where it gets water on it it can get in there and short things out. The relay harness isn't waterproof so it has to be put somewhere it won't get a lot of water on it. I did notice that another company had a sealed harness but I wasn't sure if it would work on these lights so I never ordered it and just got another from Slim.

Edit: I have slim ballasts on both sets.