Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Blacking Out Headlights, How to

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-24-2010, 09:36 AM   #241
The New Guy
Fuzzyman81 is just really niceFuzzyman81 is just really niceFuzzyman81 is just really niceFuzzyman81 is just really nice

Fuzzyman81's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Fuzzyman81
Vix - From what I have read it is possible, but the lens and housing is much more fragile and breaks ALOT easier on the Gen 1s, plus there isn't as much chrome surround for us to paint black so they don't always come out looking the best. I have seen about 6 sets and like 3 of them looked good enough to make it worth the time (and effort to not break things) - From what I have been told, it's better for us to look at the black housing lights
Old 02-26-2010, 04:41 PM   #242
Whatchamacallit Member
Muddytaco11 is a jewel in the roughMuddytaco11 is a jewel in the roughMuddytaco11 is a jewel in the rough

Name: David Ryan
Muddytaco11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VixTacom View Post
can the BHLM be done to a first gen tacoma? I have a 1999 TRD Offroad and was just curious if it was possible
I did the BHLM to my 1st Gen. Not the same way they did theirs. Here the thread link to mine. You can see my truck on the first page and how i did it on the second page. Hope this answers your question.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:42 PM   #243
Whatchamacallit Member
Muddytaco11 is a jewel in the roughMuddytaco11 is a jewel in the roughMuddytaco11 is a jewel in the rough

Also i painted the outside of mine... not the inside.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:54 PM   #244
The New Guy
Fuzzyman81 is just really niceFuzzyman81 is just really niceFuzzyman81 is just really niceFuzzyman81 is just really nice

Fuzzyman81's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Fuzzyman81
Link?
Old 02-26-2010, 04:56 PM   #245
Whatchamacallit Member

oops...hold on...
Old 02-26-2010, 04:58 PM   #246
Whatchamacallit Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzyman81 View Post
Link?
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...n-signals.html

there we go... sry bout that
Old 03-01-2010, 08:40 AM   #247
Whatchamacallit Member

Thanks!
Old 03-01-2010, 01:58 PM   #248
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
I would never tint my headlights on the outside. You just lost visibility.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:15 PM   #249
J Rowl07 will become famous soon enoughJ Rowl07 will become famous soon enough
Name: Johnny
J Rowl07's Tacoma Gallery
hey man, i was just doing mine, everything was working out perfectly untill i started painting. for some reason the paint was not sticking. i used 300 grit and then cleaned it with acetone, any suggestions?? i went and bought primer and maybe going to do that then finall paint.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:35 PM   #250
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Rowl07 View Post
hey man, i was just doing mine, everything was working out perfectly untill i started painting. for some reason the paint was not sticking. i used 300 grit and then cleaned it with acetone, any suggestions?? i went and bought primer and maybe going to do that then finall paint.
Had all the acetone dried? I used paint thinner to clean mine and had no problem with the paint sticking. I didn't prime mine. What kind of paint were you using?
Old 03-03-2010, 08:29 AM   #252
rick08taco is on a distinguished road
rick08taco's Tacoma Gallery
what color / make of spray paint did u use spencer? i have a gloss paint but i prefer the look of your headlights bc they match the grill's black color much better. Thanks man
Old 03-03-2010, 08:48 AM   #253
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick08taco View Post
what color / make of spray paint did u use spencer? i have a gloss paint but i prefer the look of your headlights bc they match the grill's black color much better. Thanks man
Go for satin or flat.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:07 AM   #254
c.morris89 is on a distinguished road

Army: ROTC
Name: Chris
c.morris89's Tacoma Gallery
Finally decided to man up and do the BHLM. Hardest part was def getting the lens and housing apart. I took my time and I think they came out pretty good. I did add some silicone i had bought at walmart to make sure they were sealed. I also put electrical tape on their to for the added peace on mind..lol. It has rained every day here since doing this and have not had any fogging.
Attached Thumbnails
Blacking Out Headlights, How to-black-headlight.jpeg  
Old 03-03-2010, 09:16 AM   #255
Whatchamacallit Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.morris89 View Post
Finally decided to man up and do the BHLM. Hardest part was def getting the lens and housing apart. I took my time and I think they came out pretty good. I did add some silicone i had bought at walmart to make sure they were sealed. I also put electrical tape on their to for the added peace on mind..lol. It has rained every day here since doing this and have not had any fogging.
Looks Nice! Good Job.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:17 PM   #256
mrobey442 is on a distinguished road

Name: Mike
mrobey442's Tacoma Gallery
Just did mine today looks great, i recommend setting the oven to 200 and turning it off when you stick the headlights in waiting 7 minutes then taking it out and running around the edges with a Flathead screwdriver pulling out as much sealant as you can then sticking the headlights back in the oven for the same setting as that the sealant will most likely have gotten hard by the time you are done running the edges then after you put it in the oven the second time pull the lens off. Don't worry about melting the lens like i was unless you forget to turn the oven off. I also used VHT on the tails and the third break light and also inside the headlight i used it on the Turn signal lens and the reflector.
Attached Thumbnails
Blacking Out Headlights, How to-blhm.jpg   Blacking Out Headlights, How to-taillights-back.jpg  
Old 03-07-2010, 07:22 PM   #257
DieselTech is a jewel in the roughDieselTech is a jewel in the roughDieselTech is a jewel in the roughDieselTech is a jewel in the rough

Name: Jeremy
DieselTech's Tacoma Gallery
I'm going to have to try this, what about using windshield urethane to seal the lens? that S#@t is nuts.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:29 PM   #258
mrobey442 is on a distinguished road

Name: Mike
mrobey442's Tacoma Gallery
I used super clear silicone gasket maker and it worked great
Old 03-08-2010, 02:46 AM   #259
LIVESTRONG
Bullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBullzi511Tacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bullzi511Tacoma06's Tacoma Gallery
Failure for me!

It took me all day to just attempt to do this and now I've been left in pretty bad shape. It was way out of my reach! I got the grille off simple. Got 6/8 screws out easily. Then when it came to the 4th "SOB" screw, I lost much time. First I found the screw just below the SOB screw, removed the nut off of them, and spent a bunch of time trying to wiggle out the headlights (of course to no avail.) It finally dawned on me that I could've removed the wrong one, and then I found the correct screws. After much time under my truck, I finally managed to get both those screws out. At this point I was both exhausted (work 13 hr nights and started on the project soon as I got off) and excited bc this was the part I'd been looking forward to. I got the oven preheated to 305 and then stuck in my driverside headlight for 9 minutes. Then I started with a flathead screwdriver at trying to pry them apart. After a few minutes, it started getting hard on me again, so I reheated the oven and put them back in for a few more minutes. Again I started working on prying apart the headlight. And once again, failure. I don't know if I could have done this had I been fully rested or not, but I know that yesterday it wasn't happening.

So I tried replaced the sealant on the headlight, filling the gaps I had created. Then I replaced the passenger side light (shockingly quite easily,) but could not get the driverside to go in place. At this point I said F-it, and picked up all my tools and went to sleep. After about 5 hours rest, I headed back outside to try to get my truck reassembled. I still couldn't get the light in place, but did get it in a place where I could put in 2/3 screws (the SOB screws will never be reattached.) I then tried to place in the grille (so I could try and drive this thing somewhere this week to get fixed) but since the grille requires both headlights being in place, it's now chilling in the bed of my truck.

I am planning on leaving it parked until I can get a buddy over to help me get everything back in place. I'd love to re-attempt the mod, but I'd have to talk a more automotive-oriented friend into helping me. (Any takers? I live in La.) Just kidding. well, kinda. Anyways, just needed to vent a bit about how much of an idiot I am and how this MOD is way harder than it reads to be (at least it was for me.)
Old 03-08-2010, 04:57 PM   #260
nuddle
nuddle is on a distinguished road

Name: aleese
nuddle's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullzi511Tacoma06 View Post
Failure for me!

It took me all day to just attempt to do this and now I've been left in pretty bad shape. It was way out of my reach! I got the grille off simple. Got 6/8 screws out easily. Then when it came to the 4th "SOB" screw, I lost much time. First I found the screw just below the SOB screw, removed the nut off of them, and spent a bunch of time trying to wiggle out the headlights (of course to no avail.) It finally dawned on me that I could've removed the wrong one, and then I found the correct screws. After much time under my truck, I finally managed to get both those screws out. At this point I was both exhausted (work 13 hr nights and started on the project soon as I got off) and excited bc this was the part I'd been looking forward to. I got the oven preheated to 305 and then stuck in my driverside headlight for 9 minutes. Then I started with a flathead screwdriver at trying to pry them apart. After a few minutes, it started getting hard on me again, so I reheated the oven and put them back in for a few more minutes. Again I started working on prying apart the headlight. And once again, failure. I don't know if I could have done this had I been fully rested or not, but I know that yesterday it wasn't happening.

So I tried replaced the sealant on the headlight, filling the gaps I had created. Then I replaced the passenger side light (shockingly quite easily,) but could not get the driverside to go in place. At this point I said F-it, and picked up all my tools and went to sleep. After about 5 hours rest, I headed back outside to try to get my truck reassembled. I still couldn't get the light in place, but did get it in a place where I could put in 2/3 screws (the SOB screws will never be reattached.) I then tried to place in the grille (so I could try and drive this thing somewhere this week to get fixed) but since the grille requires both headlights being in place, it's now chilling in the bed of my truck.

I am planning on leaving it parked until I can get a buddy over to help me get everything back in place. I'd love to re-attempt the mod, but I'd have to talk a more automotive-oriented friend into helping me. (Any takers? I live in La.) Just kidding. well, kinda. Anyways, just needed to vent a bit about how much of an idiot I am and how this MOD is way harder than it reads to be (at least it was for me.)

I did the exact same thing as you did with removing the nut below the SOB nut. And the funny thing is I read your post before I went out to go do mine. I guess it never sunk in that there was a nut below that one. It took me well over 1 1/2hr to figure out my mistake.

Products Discussed in this Thread